Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#66851 - 10/17/01 12:27 PM Madrid: Retiro lake-EMPTY! (article)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Check out the article today (probably won't be there tomorrow) in www.Madridiario.es with the article (in Spanish) and photos of Retiro Park's lake EMPTY for renovation! I didn't realize the lake was so shallow.

Los servicios municipales han recogido 12.000 kilos de peces del estanque del Retiro, junto a patos y tortugas

Madrid.- Patricia Fontoira
Carpas Royal y Común, carpines, black bass, percasoles y gambusias, además de patos, ocas y pequeños galápagos, han sido recogidos del estanque del parque madrileño del Retiro, infraestructura que va a ser rehabilitada por el Ayuntamiento de Madrid. El jefe de la Sección de Ecología Fluvial del Consistorio, Juan Azcárate, ha manifestado a MDO que "se han extraído con muchísimo esfuerzo más de 8.000 ejemplares piscícolas, cuyo peso medio oscila entre el kilo y el kilo y medio, aunque hemos encontrado carpas de siete y cinco kilos, además de una de once kilos y medio que ha sido trasladada al estanque del Palacio de Cristal".

Basura
El vaciado del estanque del Retiro para su rehabilitación -que contará con la instalación de una depuradora de agua- ha sacado a la luz multitud de residuos que permanecían en el fondo del mismo como, entre otros, 41 mesas, 192 sillas, 20 papeleras, 41 barcas, 16 radios y walkman, una caja fuerte abierta y otra cerrada, una máquina expendedora de chicles, varios paraguas, zapatos, carteras, tres cámaras de fotos, relojes, bidones, monopatines, un carrito del supermercado, restos de neumáticos, soportes de sombrillas y restos de las balaustradas como columnatas de barandilla y sillares de coronación de pilastras.
--------

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66852 - 10/17/01 04:58 PM Re: Madrid: Retiro lake-EMPTY! (article)
city_end Offline

Loc: canada
...una caja fuerte abierta y otra cerrada...

did they open the closed one? just wondering what could be inside... rolleyes

#66853 - 10/17/01 10:55 PM Re: Madrid: Retiro lake-EMPTY! (article)
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
That's one of the world's coolest parks. Others are as pretty, better tended, more diverse. . . But I like Retiro because it is really used by the people. However, the last 2-3 years they've had a large portion of the park fenced off, or at least they have had in Novemeber. I hope it is restored to normal as soon as possible. My spanish is minimal so I didn't follow all your info MM. You may have provided that info. cool

#66854 - 11/01/01 11:45 AM Re: Madrid: Retiro lake-EMPTY! (article)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I want to thank the Excelentísimo Ayuntamiento de Madrid for effectuating this long-overdue rehabilitation. I was lucky enough to be able to contact them in the days just prior to the cleanup and was able to reclaim the following items from an ill-fated boat trip around the estanque on the S.S. Pececillo. I recently received a box from the local authorities containing one shoe, my wallet, my gum-vending machine and three chairs.

Boy was a grateful to see those things again. That vending machine was given to me by my grandfather, and I've just been a wreck since losing it.

#66855 - 11/05/01 10:16 PM Re: Madrid: Retiro lake-EMPTY! (article)
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Wow Cali, that's great to hear! I know how upset I'd be if I lost my family heirloom vending machine. My question is, what on earth was that fish eating to grow to 11,5 kilos?

#66856 - 11/05/01 10:44 PM Re: Madrid: Retiro lake-EMPTY! (article)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Did ANYONE ELSE raise an eyebrow to CaliBasco's posting above and ask yourself, "Is he SERIOUS???!!" I seriously doubted it, but elements seemed ALMOST believable. wink

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66857 - 11/06/01 06:00 AM Re: Madrid: Retiro lake-EMPTY! (article)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
They found my safe!!!! laugh I just KNEW it would turn up one day wink

#66858 - 11/06/01 08:42 PM Re: Madrid: Retiro lake-EMPTY! (article)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
hey achovy, what if it really IS your safe? why not? couldnt hurt to ask if those tickets, passports, etc. are in there....

bet they found a lot of other things they didn't mention in the article.... think 40 kilos of latex, for example....

#66859 - 11/07/01 09:52 AM Re: Madrid: Retiro lake-EMPTY! (article)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Wow rgf, it's flattering to think that you mention me in the same breath as 40 kilos of latex, but I couldn't possibly have... not SO many!! laugh

It would be great to think it was my safe, as it would please me to know that the thieves had fun lugging it a mighty long way from the Hotel Praga (yes, folks, that is the first time I've mentioned the name of the establishment which so thoughtfully lost all my stuff when the safe walked to the Retiro!) wink

I'm glad to see you got your Bancotel voucher, by the way. I sent you a private MM message about that, but now I'm not sure if you can receive them?

#66860 - 11/07/01 08:20 PM Re: Madrid: Retiro lake-EMPTY! (article)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
AF, I did receive your message, and answered you-- the travel agency never did respond to my email. But that's ok cuz Eric saved me.

AF, on another topic (not this thread!) please do tell us about Tenerife. I was there 2 years ago (Hotel Mencey, a piece of Heaven) and enjoyed the experience lots. La Gomera was awesome. But I didn't have a car.

OK, OK, this topic is not SAFE, so me Retiro (arghghg!! Not Sancho Punza again!)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments