MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66837 - 10/17/01 07:01 AM the adsl runaround
desmo Offline

Loc: El Escorial, Madrid
Please somebody.
The Telefonica guys plugged me in and left me too it, I have since found that I cannot SEND pop3 mails, I can recieve them fine. I have an idea that I have to set up a user account with somebody in order to use the outward mail server. I have no idea how or who, as fore warned we are getting the runaround with everyone we call, I speak no Spanish , my wife is not very pc literate in these matters. What do I do please .

confused pjti@tesco.net

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#66838 - 10/17/01 07:32 AM Re: the adsl runaround
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Wait, this is something in which I can help you.

Just wait a couple of days, I have to ask some friends to be sure how to do it, ok?

Fernando

#66839 - 10/17/01 07:37 AM Re: the adsl runaround
desmo Offline

Thanks Fernando but my non-PC literate wife has just managed to sort me out.
Byeeeee mccuesta@telefonica.net

#66840 - 10/17/01 08:18 AM Re: the adsl runaround
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow!! People are now coming to MadridMan's Spain Message Board from SPAIN to ask ADSL hook-up questions! I'm impressed! That was nice of you to offer to help, Fernando. Glad to know desmo's wife figured things out. Hey desmo! Hope you'll STILL come back here to share your day-to-day Spain-related experiences in the other forums! Where in Spain are you located?

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66841 - 10/17/01 08:42 AM Re: the adsl runaround
desmo Offline

OOPs - well we got so far but still probs with the telefonica email address, outlook dont like it much at all.

Also I cant seem to TALK to my sis in USA using Messenger or Netmeeting, is this the telefonica firewall.

By the way I am MCSE (NT4) and this adsl is a pain to work out, had ADSL in Belgium and it was sweet as a nut to set up. confused

By the way MadridMan ,here in El Escorial cos I hate big places. I will be here at least a year and not much to do .

Your site is full of nice little tricks where did u learn all that stuff smile

Need any help ???

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#66842 - 10/17/01 07:03 PM Re: the adsl runaround
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Ok, let's see.

If you can't send e-mails, then you are not having problems with the POP3 protocol/server but with the SMTP sever. There are a number of reasons why this could not be working. However, I'm guessing that maybe it's the following:

Some ISPs block outgoing mail whose senders are not at the ISPs domain. That is, if you are sending an e-mail pretending to be pjti@tesco.net, maybe the SMTP sever will not deliver your mail since you are not @telefonica.net or whatever your new e-mail address is at.

Another reason could be that Telefonica is using a method called "POP-before-SMTP" which is a good solution about spammers using their SMTP servers as open relays. But I doubt Telefonica has setup it.

As for the problem with the Messenger and Netmeeting, this is due to the filters Telefonica put on their ADSL modems. They say they do it for security reasons (and that's partly true) but also because they don't want you to set up your own Web/FTP server at home.

These filters close most of the ports, and specifically, those used by Messenger to send/receive voice. You may probably chat with the messenger but not with voice.

How can you solve this?. Well, you have to open these ports. But be careful only to open these ones and not to leave opened the rest of them. Since you are having a static IP address with permanent connection to the internet, a hacker could easily break into your computer if you have some ports opened.

You'll find information about how to do it depending on the ADSL modem you have. The problem is that most of the information about solving problems with Telefonica's ADSL modems is written in Spanish, since it only concerns people living here.

Regards,

Antonio

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#66843 - 10/17/01 09:01 PM Re: the adsl runaround
desmo Offline

Hi again , I think I am getting round the mail problem, but its a big pain. The rest of your mail was quite interesting. I have just found that the nice telefonica man password protected my router , I dont like that sort of thing. I figure I can hit the reset button on it and it reverts to factory settings, but I dont know what settings he put in it, this is all a bit draconian to me. They even took the manuals and Cd away .

Still trying to crack into it tho laugh , BTW is telefonica.net mail purely web based, i cannot do anything with outlook to get my mail with my telefonica address. stuff is on the server just cant get it on my pc.

Better sleep I guess.

#66844 - 10/18/01 04:57 AM Re: the adsl runaround
alchemist Offline

Loc: Madrid
Yes, previous post is correct. Telefonica sets routers with filters that deny access via web from your PC or Internet. You can delete that filters but you have to connect to the router via telnet using a console cable. This cable should be given to you at the installation. If not... ask for it... ´cause you´ve paid for it

From now on, I´m assuming that you have a 3COM Office Connect 812 ADSL Router

Once you´ve connected to the router using telnet (available in Win98, WinME, etc), you´ll be asked for a login & password. Try this one: adminttd & adminttd. Now, you are in command-controlled sonsole. Delete filters using commands

3Com-DSL>delete filter filtro
3Com-DSL>delete filter filtro2
3Com-DSL>save all

Now, you can access your ADSL router via Web
http://w.x.y.z

Where w.x.y.z is the address of the Ethernet interface of your router. This may be a private one or a public one depending if your router is set as monopuesto (then your PC Ethernet Card has a public IP address and so your router´s Ethernet interface) or multipuesto (with NAT, so you have private IP address both in your PC Ethernet Card and your router´s Ethernet interface)

Í know that it sounds pretty complicated... but you have to remember that you have a full router at your disposal

I recommend that you go to the message board (foro)at http://www.adsl4ever.com or try to read the How-to´s at http://www.galeon.com/3com812

By the way, the multipuesto configuration is with NAT... and NAT doesn´t work well with programs using H.323 Protocol like Netmeeting, so I´m thinking that you must be in multipuesto. Set your router to monopuesto and you´ll have no problems

Hope to be helpfull

#66845 - 10/18/01 05:26 AM Re: the adsl runaround
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I'm not using an ADSL connection so I'm not sure about the exact configuration of the router. However, I would think that removing all filters will not only open the port 80 (the one for HTTP protocolo allowing web configuration) but also a few more. You shouldn't open more ports than the ones you are going to use. Hackers/crackers may scan the ports in your computer to check whether you have some insecure ones open. If you don't need them, close them!.

As for Netmeeting, apart from problems with NAT, the main problem is that the ports used by the voice are closed and you have to open them if you want to transmit/receive voice (I'm not which are those ports, but they should be listed somewhere at Microsoft's Messenger / Netmeeting page).

#66846 - 10/19/01 12:25 PM Re: the adsl runaround
desmo Offline

Thanks for everything so far , I am impressed with the responses. Seems there are a few knowledgeable people out there.

I tried to open up port 6901 (MSN Messenger uses it) and found that I had opened up ports 23 and 80 as well, I used utilities on www.grc.com to check my vulnerability and also ran netstat -a , the netstat showed loads of ports as "listening" whereas they had not been before. Figured that this may not be a good idea after all, so I shut the 6901 down and it all went "secure" again. Figure I can live without voice over Ip anyway.

Interesting regarding the user name and password for the 812, how many other people have not changed the pw etc ?. It was interesting to delve into the workings of my router , I used the software I downloaded from 3Comm to do that but telnet does work too.

Anyway I am grateful for the help and know that I can get some help here if I need it again.

Incidentally I thought it was supposed to be hot and sunny here.

Thanks all laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments