Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#66761 - 08/12/01 03:28 PM A piece of Spain in new American movies
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Just 2 interesting little pieces of info: The new movie "The Others" is directed by the Spanish director Alejandro Amenábar, the same guy who did "Abre los ojos" and "Tesis". Also in "American Pie 2" one of the characters is studying abroad in Europe and never actually says where she is but it was cool to be able to recognize Barcelona when she mentions hanging out at the Picasso Museum and the Sagrada Familia!

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#66762 - 08/12/01 07:36 PM Re: A piece of Spain in new American movies
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Alejandro Amenábar is also the writer (I think he also wrote the scripts of the two movies Majesty said). Tom Cruise is the executive producer of "The Others" as well as the american version of "Abre los ojos" which I guess it's going to be on the cinemas soon.

"Abre los ojos" and "Tesis" have been a great success here in Spain and critics regard him as a great horror film maker.

By the way, I heard the action in AI (by Steven Spielberg) takes places in a futuristic research center.... in Zaragoza (Spain)!!!. I wonder how they speak English with "maño" accent :))

#66763 - 08/22/01 04:23 PM Re: A piece of Spain in new American movies
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Thanks for the facts. I didn't know he directed "The Others". During my studies in Spain, part of my class included watching "Tesis" It was a very interesting movie.

Thanks again.

#66764 - 08/26/01 12:41 PM Re: A piece of Spain in new American movies
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
You are right Antonio, the american remake of "abre los ojos" is named "Vanilla ski" starred by Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz(who also played a role in the original versión).

#66765 - 08/27/01 08:52 PM Re: A piece of Spain in new American movies
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Just curious: when American movies starring Penélope Cruz go to Spain, does she do her own dubbing into Spanish?

#66766 - 09/06/01 07:23 AM Re: A piece of Spain in new American movies
Miguelito Offline

Many American films have parts filmed in Spain. Indiana Jones and the last Crusade and Impossible Mision II, are the last ones I remember...

#66767 - 09/06/01 08:06 AM Re: A piece of Spain in new American movies
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Miguel,

From what I understand, there's been a lot of American movies that have segments filmed in Spain. Especially those period movies that deal with the 17th through 19th century, since Spain has honored the past as much as possible, by keeping so many cities and areas as close to what it was centuries ago.

Two other reason... from what I gather... from friends associated with the film business, the people and Spanish government are more than cooperative in helping them to complete their filming, as long as the film crews don't hurt the environment, or damage buildings. Last but not least, is cost. Film companys have found that a thirty day shoot in Spain costs less than a five day shoot in almost any other country. A definite plus when it comes to filming.

Wolf

#66768 - 09/07/01 05:10 AM Re: A piece of Spain in new American movies
Miguelito Offline

Another reason I think was the sun light, as they had more hours a day to film.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments