Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#66607 - 06/03/01 08:01 PM Goya in Bordeaux
dewey Offline

Loc: albany, new york
I have just come from our local cinema having enjoyed the movie "Goya in Bordeaux," in which "Photographed recreations of Goya's canvasses come to life as Goya (Francisco Rabal), lying on his death bed, tells his daughter, Rosario (Daphne Fernández) the story of his life."

I very much enjoyed the film. It was so much different from the usual narratives of famous people produced by Hollywood. The acting was wonderful and the scenes from the dark period were very moving. I felt like I was in a surreal 18th century. It left me wanting to indulge myself in Goya between now and the time I leave for Spain, June 28th.
Has anyone else seen it?

#66608 - 06/05/01 08:28 PM Re: Goya in Bordeaux
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I think we may be the only two that have seen it. I really enjoyed it as well - the staging, colors. It was very unusual.
Even though I find a lot of his work disturbing and don't feel quite as passionately about it as some other artists, I do appreciate it.

I did a term paper in high school on Goya, and dug it up and got some books on him at the library after seeing the movie. I love it when a good film or book or piece of art inspires me to learn more!

#66609 - 06/06/01 12:52 PM Re: Goya in Bordeaux
palasr Offline

Loc: Albany NY
We saw it last night, and were both moved by the imagery and cinematography. While I wanted a bit more about Goya (his life and art), and a bit more about Spain (considering we depart for a month there on June 27), I was ultimately satisfied with the film. Fine use of symbolism and imagery, excellent acting and a good introduction to his life and work.

-Richard

#66610 - 06/08/01 10:03 PM Re: Goya in Bordeaux
dewey Offline

Palasr........Richard

Nothing like being on an international board to have a chat with a person from my hometown, and to add to the coincidence, we are going to Spain on June 28th.

I assume you saw the movie at the Spectrum.

Are you looking for Goya when you go? We'll certainly see him at the Prado, but on another thread I caught this suggestion and I think I'll search it out:

"On my last day in Madrid, I did something I've wanted to do for years: visit the Ermita de San Antonio de la Florida with the amazing frescoes painted by Goya. Take the metro to Prinicpe Pio and cross the street. Take the stairs down to the river walkway, and walk 10 minutes up to the ermita (go up the stairs at the Glorieta de la Florida). The walk and the little church are both lovely. I recommend this activity highly."

This sounds like the Saint Anthony narrative featured in the movie where he raises the dead man from the grave with a pointed finger.

#66611 - 06/11/01 11:30 AM Re: Goya in Bordeaux
palasr Offline

Loc: Albany NY
Isn't it a small world? We did indeed see the film at the Spectrum. Since my girlfriend is an art teacher, we'll certainly be taking in a copious amount of Goya and every other artist under the sun wink --- if you'd like, drop me a private email, and perhaps we could arrange to meet for drinks or possibly a stroll to the Ermita de San Antonio de la Florida.

-Richard

#66612 - 06/25/01 09:04 PM Re: Goya in Bordeaux
dewey Offline

We tried to email you with no luck and we left you a private message. Hope we catch you before you go.

#66613 - 08/27/01 08:53 AM Re: Goya in Bordeaux
Tia Offline

¿Dónde estoy? ¿Dónde me han metido? Where am I?…

That´s what I wondered, too, when I saw a big carcass hanging from a hook in the ceiling on the screen. The carcass transformed into the flubby old face of Francisco de Goya de Lucientes and the film began.

Even if Goya isn´t my number one favourite painter I enjoyed every minute of the film. It is dramatic, mysterious and extremely beautiful at the same time. I was also very impressed by the powerful performance of Francisco Rabal. Unfortunately they didn´t show Goyas earlier works – the later ones are really “black” - and I would have appreciated knowing more about other periods of his life. Anyway, the film gets 4 points out of 5 from me.

Tía (who has The Maids of Honour of Velázquez hanging on the wall. Please, don´t call the police, it´s just a copy eek wink )

See a lovely slide show of the film! http://www.spe.sony.com/classics/goyainbordeaux/gallery/slideshow.html

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: tiajohanna ]

#66614 - 08/29/01 03:05 PM Re: Goya in Bordeaux
Tia Offline

Just read the sad news:
Francisco Rabal died this morning on his way back home from Canada, where he received a price.
http://www.elpais.es/fotografia/especiales/rabal/1.html

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1931 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments