Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#66586 - 05/18/01 01:36 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I first read Iberia in 1992, as I took my parents through three weeks in Spain. As mentioned earlier, the political insights are dated, but the descriptions of the places and people are timeless. I count this as one of my favorite volumes on Spain. It's a testament to Michener's skill in relating that the book is still relevant today.

I picked up my hardbound copy of Iberia at a second-hand bookstore for $2 US in mint condition. smile Although a little ungainly in its portability, for the luggage traveler, we found it indispensable. We would read what Michener had to say prior to, or on the way to the place he was describing. It was great!

#66587 - 05/18/01 02:32 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
breibach Offline

Loc: Richmond, Virginia, USA
Michener wrote antother (less known) book that takes place primarily in Spain. It is a fictional account of about 5 teens/young adults and their travel experiences. The book is called "The Drifters" and was one of my favorites (as I was 18 travelling Spain). The book is still in print and isa much easier read then Iberia.

#66588 - 05/18/01 03:10 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
And being of the roughly the same era - The Drifters truly captured the feelings and viewpoints of that generation! Is this called 'dating oneself'?

#66589 - 05/20/01 10:56 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I'm starting to feel like I've met you guys in "another life". I read the Drifters while I was drivng from Afghanistan (where I had read Caravans)back to Europe in my VW bus. Were they wonderful days to travel, or what?! I had heard stories of Formentara when you walked everywhere and there was no electricity. Many of my friends in the "East" would leave India in the summer to stay on Formentara.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments