Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#66545 - 04/25/01 04:34 AM Re: Hey, Remeber the 80s? and the Early 90s?
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
Well Hombres G have very good songs, the ones I like
Devuelveme a mi chica
La chica cocodrilo.

And my favorite singer Paloma San Basilio.
I love her songs and voice.
Is she still singing?

Rafael

#66546 - 04/25/01 04:31 PM Re: Hey, Remeber the 80s? and the Early 90s?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Well, you're probably only 4 years or so older than me, as Polo was slowly being replaced by the midwestern favorite "Drakkar" (oooh...how exotic!) as I was finishing up at White Bear Lake HS...

I've never paid much attention to the restaurants in Mpls...I think I've been to Figlio's on Hennepin a million times, though...What's the name of the tapas bar? I went to a place called Azur or Azul in 1991, but found it TOO SNOOTY for my tastes. They advertised as a Mediterranean restaurant, but alas, as most, focused on the French.

It's nice to see someone else appreciates El Norte, though...for some reason, I've always liked them.

You can pick up all the Spanish CDs you want at Applause on Snelling just south of I-94 (corner of Ashland and Snelling)...I think they may have changed it to "Cheapo Records". I got Duncan Dhu and Hombres G there.

#66547 - 04/25/01 09:27 PM Re: Hey, Remeber the 80s? and the Early 90s?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Ooh...I will have to check out Applause! I didn't know there were any Spanish CDs in town!

And the restaurant is called La Bodega, just south of Lake on Lyndale...next to the CyberX cafe, if that's familiar. La Bodega isn't very old, though, and does specialize in Spanish food (tapas/raciones). The food's not bad, either...not SPAIN, but close!

#66548 - 11/27/01 09:21 PM Re: Hey, Remeber the 80s? and the Early 90s?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Just as a quick update to this thread--many of the songs mentioned above can be found (semi-legally, or is it semi-illegally? I have no idea how they are still in business, but I think it's because they don't have a central location for the songs, or some quirky thing like that) at www.audiogalaxy.com. If you have a fast connection, the downloads are pretty quick. And whether you burn all those MP3s onto a CD or not...well, that's up to you!

#66549 - 11/28/01 06:40 AM Re: Hey, Remeber the 80s? and the Early 90s?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hi! smile

I'm glad to see Alaska y Dinarama's album 'Deseo Carnal' referred to, and the great group Radio Futura mentioned. But please people do not forget the awesome lyrics of Gabinete Caligary's songs: "Camino a Soria", "La culpa fue del cha-cha-cha", "Suite Nupcial", "Mi madre me enseño"....

In Spain, movies like "Pretty in Pink" or "Secret Admirer" were bigger than "The Breakfast Club", ha,ha! (Wow, I was so much in love with Leroy(from the Fame series) and Ralph Macchio back then!!!)

Saluditos.

#66550 - 11/28/01 09:33 AM Re: Hey, Remeber the 80s? and the Early 90s?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Hi, Pim--
Now I will have "La culpa fue del cha-cha-cha, que tu me invitaste a bailar..." in my head all day long!!

wink

Tara

#66551 - 11/28/01 08:42 PM Re: Hey, Remeber the 80s? and the Early 90s?
edr Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
You guys can try http://www.musiccity.com/

Calibasco & Tara, that's a real URL above (sorry Calibasco), it's for "Morpheus" the best finder/downloader around. I've tried them all, including Napster and Morpheus rocks.

Speaking of Breakfast Club, I'm in my early 30's too - so I can relate to the 80's vibe. Graduated from Highschool in '86. I also went to music college in Hollywood - so I'm a long-time music lover (all kinds). Unfortunately, however, my knowledge of Spanish tunes/artists is limited.

I must admit though (my turn to humiliate Calibasco) - it's very funny to me seeing the correspondence between to two "mid-western folk" in Minnesota, talking solely about Spanish items, songs, restaurants, etc... as if they live in and/or are craving Spain 24/7.

You both sound very well-versed in your knowledge of Spain, so what the hell are you living in Minnesota for?

edr

#66552 - 11/28/01 09:14 PM Re: Hey, Remeber the 80s? and the Early 90s?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Hi, edr--

I'm high school class of '88. I have spent a bit of time recently listening to www.spinner.com -- there are two '80s stations there (for those among us who occasionally crave an early U2 tune).

Spanish music from the late '80s and early '90s is lots of fun...I find that the lyrics are often more clever/silly/pointed/risque than those we were listening to (or maybe they seem more clever because they are in Spanish--but we had nothing to compare with "Que dificil es hacer el amor en un Simca 1000," I am sure).

Re: "it's very funny to me seeing the correspondence between to two "mid-western folk" in Minnesota, talking solely about Spanish items, songs, restaurants, etc... as if they live in and/or are craving Spain 24/7."

I can't speak for CaliBasco, but I think that's true of me! I love Spain more than anywhere in the world (though the Twin Cities are a reasonably close second, if you can believe that from a Florida girl!). I feel at home there every time I visit, and would love to live there someday. The timing is the thing...my husband works in a job he loves (and doesn't speak a bit of Spanish), I am finishing a Ph.D. and need to find a job somewhere (and my Spanish is not good enough to merit being a faculty member at a Spanish university), and our daughter is starting kindergarten next year. AND I hate to fly, and my parents and other family aren't inclined to pick up and move to Spain with us, so that's an obstacle (overcome with Xanax, yes, but I still don't like it--and 9/11 didn't help that!).

But really, the timing is never perfect. So who knows--maybe someday I will follow missmadrid98 over there!

Off to track down my old albums!

Tara smile

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: taravb ]

#66553 - 11/29/01 02:13 AM Re: Hey, Remeber the 80s? and the Early 90s?
Bocata King Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Ok, I feel ridiculuous for asking this, but as long as everyone else is admiting thier love for cheesy spanish pop music, there is this one song that I heard all the time when I was living there like a year and a half ago that I can't figure out what it is, but the chorus goes as follows " mi vida, si es bonita . . . ya no puedo mas, ya no puedo mas"

And yes I do understand how absurd it is to expect somone to know the song from that horrible description, but hey they did it on "name that tune" didn't they? I think it was a remake of a classic if that help anyone.

thanks
wink

#66554 - 11/29/01 08:48 AM Re: Hey, Remeber the 80s? and the Early 90s?
Miguelito Offline

The original song was of Camilo Sesto, I don't remember who sang the new version but the original Camilo has come back with this old hit

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments