Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#66437 - 03/15/01 10:14 PM Spanish Treasures in Jackson,Miss.
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
I'm quoting from a story in USA Today:

Quote:

"The Majesty of Spain:Royal Collections from the Museo del Prado & Patrimonio Nacional is a $9.8 million, eye-popping hoard of more than 600 treasures - furniture, costumes, tapestries, ivories, sculptures, porcelain, room re-creations and paintings by Goya and Tiepolo - from Spain's royal palaces and largest museum, dating from 1746 to 1833.
Such a collection of masterworks has never left Spain - and never will again, Spanish officials insist.
Some of these objects have never been seen before, even in Spain. Others are hugely popular there, the Mona Lisas of Spain, as it were. Yet they will be in Jackson - and only in Jackson - for six months, nearly twice the length of most museum art exhibits.
Moreover, Spain's ambassador to the U.S. hints strongly that King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia will visit Jackson soon to see the exhibit and to visit "the illustrious" Jack Kyle, as Spanish officials affectionately refer to him.....Meanwhile the rest of the city is grabbing onto 'Spain's' coattails. The planetarium plans a 'Majesty of Space' program. The Old Capitol Museum will mount an exhibit of Mississippi as an 18th century 'Outpost of Majestic Spain'. Flamenco queen Maria Benitez and her dance troupe will perform at a popular local restaurant, Hal & Mal's. Restaurants and hotels are putting Spanish dishes on menus, and liquor stores are stocking Spanish wines."

Jack Kyle is the director of the Mississippi Commission for Cultural Exchange.
Tickets are $15.

MM, I think you should organize a field trip for your loyal followers. I know I won't get back to Spain until Oct. of this year so I'm looking into airfares to Jackson! Maybe this
will "fill the void" for awhile.

[This message has been edited by Catalina (edited 03-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 03-18-2001).]

#66438 - 03/15/01 11:54 PM Re: Spanish Treasures in Jackson,Miss.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WOWWWW!!!! GREAT idea, Catalina!! Okay, who's all in?? We'll charter a plane and whiz down to Mississippi for the event. Anyone own a jet in this group??

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66439 - 03/16/01 12:51 PM Re: Spanish Treasures in Jackson,Miss.
Catalina Offline

I've just found the "official" website: www.majestyofspain.com
Includes pictures and much more detailed information. But it's not going to be cheap getting there - airfares seem to be in the $400-500 range - from the midwest!

#66440 - 03/17/01 07:50 PM Re: Spanish Treasures in Jackson,Miss.
Return2Dreams Offline

Loc: MS, USA
They just announced in the evening news, that the King and Queen will be visiting on March 31, 2001. That's my luck!!! They will be in my home town and I will be in theirs.

It is a very nice exhibit and Jackson is very affordable! If you can make it, I'd say you will not regret it. If anyone wants more information, email me.

#66441 - 03/18/01 07:04 PM Re: Spanish Treasures in Jackson,Miss.
Catalina Offline

You're right Return2dreams, the airfare out of Chicago is just over $200! I got a bad "quote". How does one e-mail you? There's no address in your profile.

[This message has been edited by Catalina (edited 03-18-2001).]

#66442 - 03/20/01 12:25 AM Re: Spanish Treasures in Jackson,Miss.
Return2Dreams Offline

Loc: MS, USA
Ooops, sorry ... I thought it was. Here it is: Return2Dreams@AOL.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2685 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments