Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#66368 - 02/26/01 05:34 PM Article on Madrid
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
For anyone who might be interested, there was a cool article on Madrid in the travel section of the L.A. Times yesterday. I am pretty sure you can read it online without paying. I really enjoyed it. they did wuite a job of selling it as the great place for vacations that we know it is.

I have to admit, as much as I want to share my love of Spain, I always get a selfish twinge of wanting to protect it from being over run by tourists the way France and Italy have.. Is that wrong?

#66369 - 02/26/01 06:06 PM Re: Article on Madrid
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I know exactly how you feel Nicole! I always felt that Spain was my 'unspoiled little corner of the world' that nobody I knew had ever been to. It was the first foreign country I had ever been to and I was just in awe that a place like that had existed all the time...like some sort of parallel universe to the one I was living in.

I guess 10 years ago it was much less Amercanized as it is now and the internet wasn't even around. I'll be going back next month so I guess I'll being prepared to see the changes that have taken place there....

Leche

[This message has been edited by Leche (edited 02-26-2001).]

#66370 - 02/26/01 06:13 PM Re: Article on Madrid
Sol Offline

#66371 - 02/26/01 07:26 PM Re: Article on Madrid
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I hear you Leche! I remember even feeling irritated at seeing other Americans on the trains doing the Eurail thing - at the same time I was doing my Eurail thing. I knew it was hippocritical, but...

As a side note, it has been seven years since I was there, and I am sure it has changed. I was bummed to see on an earlier post that there is a MacDonald's now in Salamanca ;(

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 02-27-2001).]

#66372 - 02/26/01 08:17 PM Re: Article on Madrid
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Nicole--thanks for the tip about the article--after reading it, I have to say, my mouth is watering and I am just itching to get on that plane!! Thursday seems too far away! Give me garlic shrimp NOW!!

And is there really a McDonald's in Salamanca? Oh, that makes me so sad!! In 1990, when I lived there, there was just Burger King, home of the "Tejano" and a clean bathroom with toilet paper. I only went in for the latter, preferring a cheap cheese sandwich at Meson de Cervantes in the Plaza when I needed a quick meal. Actually, now that I think of it, I only ever saw people going into that Burger King for the bathroom. I wonder how they stayed in business?

Sorry...off topic rambling--but great article!!

Tara

#66373 - 02/26/01 11:22 PM Re: Article on Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
HMPH!!! How can an article be written about Madrid in this day and age and there NOT be a mention of MadridMan.com???? I just don't get it?!! Sheesh! What's a guy got to do 'round here???! Man! Instead, this "newby" travel-agency-type website gets noted. ARGH! What's the world coming to??

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66374 - 02/27/01 03:04 PM Re: Article on Madrid
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
sorry, off topic, but get ready to see plenty of Coke, Pepsi, Marlboro and Winston ads all over the place...

#66375 - 02/27/01 03:11 PM Re: Article on Madrid
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Spaking as someone who got back from Salamanca in June.... yeah, it is way Americanized. McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Domino's... there was even a diner when I first got there. Pans & Co is the Spanish version of a Subway type restaurant, with to-go bocadillos, and I much preferred that or Telepizza to any of the silly American places!

#66376 - 02/27/01 09:07 PM Re: Article on Madrid
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Oh, Majesty--
No, say it ain't so! What is this world coming to? Rather than having parts of Spain become more like America, let's make a MadridMan message board pact to have parts of AMERICA become more like SPAIN! Anyone want to help open a nice branch of the Museo de Jamon?

We do have a good tapas place here in Minneapolis...close to the real thing, but not nearly crowded enough and without the scrunched-up napkins and cigarette butts all over the floor. So not the real thing at all, now that I think of it...but the food's pretty good. The patatas bravas were almost as good as MINE!

Okay, everyone in unison: "GET TO WORK, TARAVB, so that you can get your bills paid before you leave for Spain in TWO DAYS!"

Tara

[This message has been edited by taravb (edited 02-27-2001).]

#66377 - 02/28/01 01:02 PM Re: Article on Madrid
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
thanks Jen but it has been like that there for years....since before 1991!

leche

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2728 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments