Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6634 - 02/27/04 04:32 AM Madrid: Hostal on quiet street using www.qdq.com?
tcl Offline

Loc: California, USA
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I was wondering if the streets that are shaded beige/light brown on the website meant that they are pedestrian streets? I'm guessing they are, but I wanted to make sure. We're hoping to find a hostal on a pedestrian street. Thanks!

#6635 - 02/27/04 05:25 AM Re: Madrid: Hostal on quiet street using www.qdq.com?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi tcl! Yes, that's correct, those streets in beige/tan/shaded are pedestrian street.

A good example of this is for Hostal López , which is located on the pedestrian Calle de Las Huertas, 54. You can see the photo and map of Hostal López and the grey/beige/shaded street on the QDQ.com map HERE . (IMPORTANT NOTE: keep in mind that in the photo in the above link of Hostal López there are cars parked on the street. This is because the photo was taken, I think, 3-summers ago and Calle de las Hertas was converted to a pedestrian street about one year ago)

And keep in mind that just because hostels (or hotels) are located on pedestrian streets that it means the streets themselves are quiet - it doesn't! Pedestrian streets often have a different kind of noise. Those pedestrian streets between Puerta del Sol and Gran Vía, for example, CAN have A LOT of foot traffic, busy terrazas, street performers, and late-night-loud-talking people instead of honking cars.

If you'd like to tell us the specific street to which you're referring (if any) we can probably tell you if we think it's quiet or not.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#6636 - 02/27/04 03:15 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal on quiet street using www.qdq.com?
tcl Offline

Loc: California, USA
Thanks MM! I'll check back when I've compiled my list of hostals. I'm assuming a general rule of thumb is any hostal on Gran Via is going to have a lot of street noise day and night, right?

#6637 - 03/03/04 01:41 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal on quiet street using www.qdq.com?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I think you are right...Gran Vía never sleeps, but there are small streets just off of Gran Vía that do!!! I just finished a second stay on Horteleza at Hostal Chelo and was quite content with my stay. This was my second time there and it was during the weekend. wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments