Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#66057 - 11/29/00 12:19 AM Book on the fiestas of Spain
Bufanda Offline

Loc: Santan Barbara, CA 93110
Does anyone know any good books on the fiestas of Spain? If not, would anyone like to write one or pay me to write one? I'm a photographer and I have always wanted to do a big colorfull photo documentary on Las Fallas, ferias, romerias, Dia del los reyes, Carnival, San Fermin, Semana Santa, etc. and I need researchers, writers, people who know Spain and can contribute. Oh, and funds. How would you finance something like that if you are not independently wealthy and have already signed your life away to student loans?

Got some ideas on how to get something like this off of my life goals list and into Barnes and Noble? Think you got something valuable to contribute? Let me know.

#66058 - 11/29/00 05:50 AM Re: Book on the fiestas of Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
An admirable pursuit that could extend to a lifetime's effort: Semana Santa, for example is not just in Sevilla. Some of the better processions are in Cordoba, Madrid and many pueblos across Spain. Carnaval is AnTroido in Galego - it's celebrated as much there in Galicia as in Cadiz. One must visit several times in order to sample each region's (and maybe even each specific locales's) types of celebrations. Santiago is Spain's Apostle. The feast day is most celebrated in Santiago de Compostela (mostly the 24th of July). But in Vigo, the main celebration takes place on Plaza de Compostela the morning of the 25th.
Lots of Luck!

#66059 - 11/29/00 12:15 PM Re: Book on the fiestas of Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Got a deal for you. You take the pictures, and I will do the writing!! Seriously..

There are a few photographers that have done some interesting photo books on Spain. i would think contacting them, and asking if they need an assistant would be a good way to start. You would probably have to make it a long term project...

#66060 - 11/29/00 10:02 PM Re: Book on the fiestas of Spain
Bufanda Offline

Loc: Santan Barbara, CA 93110
Granada is a great place to experience Semana Santa and I got some crazy photographs of the burning "ninots" at Las Fallas in Valencia a few years back by convincing a security guard to let me through the barriers close to the burning effigy using a friend's botched press pass and waving my professional looking camera. It was great.

Would you seriously be interested in writing? That would be . I would want to be the photographer and not the assistant but if you can suggest some photographers whose stuff I can check out I would love that.

#66061 - 11/30/00 12:04 PM Re: Book on the fiestas of Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I have a couple of books, but unfortunately they are tucked away in a warehouse in Kansas City where the movers I hired and paid have decided to hold my stuff until they FEEL like sending it out. buttheads.

I'll see if I can do a little research and find the names for you though. I do not think it is an area that is as deeply explored as France or Italy, at least in the midwest, therefore the competition not as bad..

I have no idea about funding - wish I did, because I would love to have someone pay me to wrtie about Spain (actually, my job is doing that right now, they just don't know it - hee hee).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments