Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66025 - 11/23/00 12:44 AM New Spanish Literature
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
I posted this topic before, but somehow it was lost--Could anyone please let me know of any new Spanish literature out there? I am particularly interested in authors who have been translated into English.

Un million de gracias
-Sheba

#66026 - 11/23/00 08:03 AM Re: New Spanish Literature
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
I did answer. Try Manuel Rivas, author of the text for the lovely movie BUTTERFLY. Arturo Reverete is also very popular in English. I love Carmen Martin Gaite's works (in Eng, too). What kind of lit do you like?

#66027 - 11/23/00 08:19 AM Re: New Spanish Literature
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi sheba, yes, rgf did answer and your topic wasn't lost. I moved it to this new forum (just as I have moved this one), "Spain Related Media: Discussion about literature, music, movies/video/TV, radio, internet, etc.". You'll find rgf's response to your original topic in the list of threads in this forum.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66028 - 11/25/00 05:29 AM Re: New Spanish Literature
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Sheba- What time frame are you talking about when you say "new"?

If new means this century (err...20th century...) then I recommend Camilo José Cela (Nobel laureate), and Miguel Delibes. Delibes is more palatable, as Cela seems to have an affinity for the profane. Two works by Delibes that may show up in English are "El Camino" and "Cinco Horas con Mario".

What have you read from the "Generación del '98"? Like I said, how contemporary is contemporary to you???

#66029 - 11/25/00 07:53 AM Re: New Spanish Literature
rgf Offline
Executive Member

CaliBasco, GOOD POINT! MY contemporary latin American literature course that I am teaching in Spring starts with 1900. As for Spain, yes, read the novels (and poems) of Miguel de Unamuno, read Carmen LaForet's NADA, try Sender's Requiem por un campesino espan~ol.... Cela's La colmena (The Beehive) is cool (so is the movie).

#66030 - 11/27/00 12:27 AM Re: New Spanish Literature
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
Thank you Madridman for clearing that up. I thought I had lost my mind...well...maybe that happened a long time ago.

And thanks to rgf. and Calisbasco for the suggestions. I will look into the names you have given me.

I hope I wasn't too confusing when I asked for "NEW" literature from Spain. What I mean is recent literature written by people who are living.

As to rgf.'s questions regarding what I find interesting...hmmm...that is a really tough question. I guess Jeanette Winterson would be my favorite. Zadie Smith, Toni Morrison, Italo Calvino...well, I could go on.

But I am really interested in living writers.

#66031 - 11/27/00 01:00 AM Re: New Spanish Literature
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
ah sheba, excellent choice. italo calvino is an amazing author. not only was "if on a winter's night a traveler" and "difficult loves" two that i adore, he also wrote one of my favorite short stories this side marquez..."at daybreak"

#66032 - 11/27/00 04:52 AM Re: New Spanish Literature
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Jeanette Winterston, ah. Just bought her most recent novel and am looking forward to it. Well, if you like her stuff, try works by Carme Riera, Lucia Etxebarria...

#66033 - 11/27/00 09:24 AM Re: New Spanish Literature
rgf Offline
Executive Member

oh, and ana maria moix, too (JULIA)

#66034 - 11/27/00 11:52 AM Re: New Spanish Literature
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
What a great thread!! I am writing this all down.

Rgf, where can you typcally get good current novels in Spanish? I have a couple from Cela and Duarte from when I was in Spain, but I find the pickins pretty slim over here - even on college campuses.

For anyone interested, there was an article about Jeanette Winterson in the LATimes today. You can check it out over the internet.

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 11-27-2000).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments