MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#65942 - 11/02/00 03:07 PM Re: Almodovar Movies
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
When did Live Felsh come out. I had honestly never heard of it until this board, although I have seen all of his other films. I am thinking it may have some out while I leved in Chile...

What are your thoughts on Kika, Leche? I didn't have a strong response to it, compared to his other films.

By the way, does anyone remember a movie with Penelope Cruz, when she had short hair. Something about meeting some young, blondish guy, and they move in together. I remember seeing part of it on tv in Chile but never got to see the end. It has bugging me for some time.. It was kind of an interesting study of the "modern' realtionships in Spain, and I would really like to see it again (if I can ever figure out what movie it was!!!!)

#65943 - 11/02/00 04:44 PM Re: Almodovar Movies
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Live Flesh (Carne Tremula in Spanish) came out in '98 but was underpromoted. Ms. Cruz had a minor role in this one. Too bad it hasn't been issued on DVD yet either.

Kika was.....good. Very Almodovar but also quite disturbing..moreso than normal with him. It is his least mainstream accessable film and is strangly enough issued on DVD (but with no extras). Anyone else notice the almost complete abscence of a typical Almodovar soundtrack on this one? It is in a nutshell a social statement about the futility of modern life. The plot revolves around a couple who cannot experience lovemaking unless a camera is involved, thus creating a technological facade to their lives.

Leche

#65944 - 11/03/00 03:27 AM Re: Almodovar Movies
Xena Offline

Loc: Bucharest
I saw only two of his movies some years ago, untill now I didn't have where to buy them. And I can't remember their names, but the first one it was with two women who swapped their spouses, one of them being a cooking books writer. The other one was about the employees of a gov. company payed to answer the phone from people who want to comit suicide. I really love them and I can't wait to see more of them. I prefer to buy them with subtitles cause I wannna learn Spanish.

#65945 - 11/03/00 01:09 PM Re: Almodovar Movies
Leche Offline

Which two are those? Those plot lines don't even ring a bell.

Leche

#65946 - 11/14/00 04:20 PM Re: Almodovar Movies
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I thought ¡Atame! was good, too. Thanks for the vote Jen..."Mujeres al borde..." may have been campy, but the cinematography was good, the angles were good, and the colors were superb. The plot line was great, even if a little transparent in parts, and the characters (Mambo Taxista, Testiga de Jehová, recepcionista at the translation office) were hilariously accurate.

Mujeres also has the best TV commercial ever, the one for the detergent. That's worth the time alone.

I think that as Almodóvar has 'matured' that he has decided that he needs to push the envelope a little too far. The opening scene of "Matador" showing a man masturbating was a little over the edge, as was the wind-up scuba diver going into Victoria Abril's 'nether-regions' while she was in the bath in ¡Atame! I have a hard time reconciling Almodóvar's genius (which I believe he has) with these unnecessary episodes. It seems there are two or three in each of his movies. I guess it's personal preference...

#65947 - 11/16/00 04:33 AM Re: Almodovar Movies
Xena Offline

Loc: Bucharest
I don't remember their names, that is the point.
And I couldn't find any Almodovar movie with subtitles in Madrid, so I will try to find it on Amazon.co.uk. Probably on DVD, I don't think I will find any video tapes with subtitles.

#65948 - 11/16/00 01:16 PM Re: Almodovar Movies
Leche Offline

Yes! ¡Atame! will FINALLY be released on DVD on January 16, 2001....nearly 10 years after it was originally released! Maybe this will calm the dealers on ebay selling used long out of print VHS originals for $50+.

Regarding Almodovar's "over the top" scenes, I think he is a master of symbolism, gesture and innuendo. When you consider that Almodovar's formative years where during the heyday and subsequent fall of Franco it's a wonder that the films are as tame as they are.

yes, some of the scenes like that in Matador and especially the scene in Kika where 'Paul Bazzo', (get it?) jumps off the balcony are quite gross. But it's all part of the story, whereas in American cinema most nudity, etc that is shown is gratuitous and has nothing to do with what is going on in the plot. But if you have seen La flor de mi secreto there is virtually nothing offending to anyone in that movie....and he received critisism that it was not a true 'Almodovar' film. But you come to realize that one of the primary elements of an El Deseo SA production is the fact that he can take crazy characters and scenes and present them to us as if they were the most normal things in the world (the mambotaxista is Almodovar himself!).

His latest, All about my mother is light years ahead of his previous work however, being his most mature and professional work to date. I highly recommend this look at Almodovar's cinema by Paul Julian Smith. We used this as a supplemental text to an Almodovar Cinema university class.

Desire Unlimited: The Cinema of Pedro Almodovar
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859843042/qid=974398650/sr=1-2/103-3572896-5 175041

Leche

[This message has been edited by Leche (edited 11-16-2000).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments