Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#65577 - 01/17/08 09:44 AM EEC members planning on living in Spain
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Be warned that you need to apply for a NIE (Número de Identificanión extranjero) before you can do anything (eg social security etc) and you have to call to make an appointment. I called for mine in November and the earliest they could do was mid-January, and when i went the other day people there who wanted appointments were being told that they had to call and that they wouldn´t get their appointment until May, so it´s something that you will have to arrange before coming if you can. I don´t have the number that you need to call on me at the moment but will post it as soon as i find it. Luckily for me the company that wanted to employ me kept the position for me until I got my number but others may not be so lucky. I had 10 job offers within the first week of being here as I´d sent my CV from england before coming to lots of companies, through www.infojobs.net and www.infoempleo.com. I got the job that I most wanted, with the first company that I had an interview with. so if you can speak both English and Spanish there is work here in Madrid for you.

#65578 - 01/17/08 11:43 AM Re: EEC members planning on living in Spain
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
That's interesting sallyanne. I'd always assumed there are ways round it, because technically any EU passport holder has the right to work here and as there is a mutual agreement between the countries, the lack of a number should not prevent you working here legally.

Mine took about 6 months to come through too and yes the system is a complete pain. I'm looking forward to having to renew it soon.

Many congratulations on getting a job anyway, and I hope you enjoy your time here. thumbsup

#65579 - 01/21/08 10:51 AM Re: EEC members planning on living in Spain
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Jamongris, i still havent found the number that you have to call for a appt. I am really enjoying it here so far! I know that the lack of a number should not prevent you from working legally, but the fact is that it does! Wrong i know, especially when it takes so long to get your number!

#65580 - 01/22/08 05:42 AM Re: EEC members planning on living in Spain
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Just an update on this. I've just been told by a gestoria that there is a new system either in place or coming in, it's some kind of central registry. All you have to do now is register with them using your passport and apparently it's sufficient for National Insurance contributions etc and no residency card has to be issued.

I'll find out more precise details when I can, but in principle there is no bar to your working immediately, should you so desire. I understand that in practise that may not be the case however.

#65581 - 01/22/08 10:27 AM Re: EEC members planning on living in Spain
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

That´s great news. They didn´t issue me with an Id card, they just gave me the number and said that combined with my passport it´s all the ID I will need for anything here.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2705 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments