Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#65484 - 03/19/07 12:57 AM Video Conversion in Madrid
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have been asked by my Madrid friend to record his appearance on the Travel Channel. I know that television has a different format in Europe than in the US, but I believe there is a way to convert it. Is this true, and does anyone know of a place in Madrid to have it done?

(Travel channel is not available in Spain)

#65485 - 03/19/07 10:11 AM Re: Video Conversion in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Mongo, the first question is how will you be recording it in the USA? Are you recording it to a DVD-R or to VHS videotape? Do you have the ability to record as/or save as a *.mpg video file? If so, that might be an option as many (newer) DVD machines here in Spain/Europe will read *.mpg files. Then, you could potentially email him the video file.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65486 - 03/19/07 01:05 PM Re: Video Conversion in Madrid
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

I'm using good old fashioned VHS. I will be delivering it personally in April, so I thought I would handle the task then.

Thanks

#65487 - 03/19/07 04:55 PM Re: Video Conversion in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Now it's almost late but ask around to some of your friends. SOMEONE might very well have a DVR machine (Digital Video Recorder). Some TiVo systems have the ability to bury to DVD and you can choose your format. Someone in Columbus recorded a football game that way, saved it to a DVD-R disc in *.mpg format and sent it to me. It worked fine!

I fear you'll have significant trouble trying to go from NTSC VHS to PAL DVD. I'd imagine Region-Free VHS machines are very very rare here these days/years.

Best of luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65488 - 03/19/07 11:07 PM Re: Video Conversion in Madrid
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Mongo, if you are converting VHS in NTSC format (US format) to VHS in PAL format (Spain's format), I think you can do that in the States pretty easily. You're in a big city, so you may be able to find a local store to do it for you. I googled "convert NTSC to PAL VHS" and there were several web sites that came up offering various video converting services. I saw one that even converted VHS/NTSC to DVD/PAL! It wasn't cheap to do that conversion, but apparently it can be done.

So, you may want to do the conversion in the States before going to Madrid. I'm sure there are places that will do it in Madrid, but it may be easier to find such services in the US! And, that gives you more time to visit your friend and enjoy wonderful Madrid instead of searching for a video store there. thumbsup

#65489 - 03/20/07 12:29 AM Re: Video Conversion in Madrid
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the very helpful advice. I will do the search. Another thought was to wait and buy the DVD from the Travel Channel.

I am watching the video now and I am getting a real kick, not only seeing my friends on national TV but Madrid in general!

#65490 - 03/20/07 01:00 AM Re: Video Conversion in Madrid
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Oh, wow! I just reread your first post and realized that your friend was in the video. I saw the show, too, and I really enjoyed watching it, although there are a few things I don't think I want to try. clap

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1853 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments