Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#65329 - 08/12/06 07:29 PM Fires in Galicia
jmvaco Offline

Loc: arizona
I have been looking for Maps of the fires in Galicia. Does anyone have a web site that will give me that information? We have property with trees near Santa Comba and am wondering if the trees are still there?

#65330 - 08/13/06 05:14 AM Re: Fires in Galicia
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
YIKES! eek Since the fire is "on the move" it's hard to say if you'd be able to find current maps but no doubt they do exist in Spanish. You might check http://www.LaVozDeGalicia.com newspapers. I know they have fire-fotos as well as information about the fires. Not sure about maps, though. You can read this article to find details (although now a few days old) about the progress of the fires.

It really is a true shame. "Green Spain" help Apparently most of the culprits are in custody for which no punishment can truly fit this crime. Even a life-sentence. Just goes to show what a direct impact we humans have on our environment. One person (although in this case, more than a dozen) can LITERALLY change the landscape for a generation. Our world is so fragile. It's hard to believe there are some who wish to seriously harm or even destroy it for everyone.

Sadly, MadridMan frown

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65331 - 08/13/06 02:40 PM Re: Fires in Galicia
jmvaco Offline

Thanks! Both those web sites were very helpfull.We grow trees for harvest.We have many years invested in this crop. My relatives have not had the time to go and check my land ,they have fighting to protect thier trees along the coast ( near CEE ) Thanks again

#65332 - 08/17/06 02:36 AM Re: Fires in Galicia
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I was up in Galicia for two weeks ago when the fires broke out. Actually had to call in and report one fires which was starting up on the outskirts of Santiago. There have been over a thousand since then.

It was horrible. I spent most of my time in the Pontevedra area, and wherever I went you could see them. Some were massive. I've never seen anything like it, and from what I gathered from the Galicians themselves, neither have they. Forest fires are a fairly common event every summer in Galicia (most are started on purpose, and for a large variety of reasons), but nothing on this scale. It was tragic and even a little scary at times. Looks like the worst is over, but at this point, that news is of little comfort to the people affected (not to mentioned the four people who died).

#65333 - 08/17/06 02:49 AM Re: Fires in Galicia
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow. You saw them for yourself. That's something you won't soon forget, Murdy. I'm sure you could smell (and see!) smoke nearly everyday there in Pontevedra where were the majority of the fires in Galicia. A true shame.

Now we get to see how the economy will suffer due to these fires; less tourism, affected shellfish industry due to toxic ash runoff into the Rias, whole farms and vineyards destroyed. frown frown frown

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65334 - 08/17/06 05:35 PM Re: Fires in Galicia
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Jmvaco, did you ever find out anything about your property? I saw in an article dated August 14th that there were some fires still active in Santa Comba. The rain came to Galicia and that has pretty much calmed everything down. Hope your and your relatives' properties were spared.

#65335 - 08/21/06 03:24 PM Re: Fires in Galicia
jmvaco Offline

Thanks for asking Our trees around Santa Comba are mostly pine and have about 25 years growth , were spared. But my cousins land down by the ocean near Cee was heavily damaged They grow Eucalytus trees which have a shorter turn around time as far growth and harvest time. Some of their pine trees were OK I was not able to visit this year. but I will as soon as I can

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments