Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#65174 - 05/02/06 08:45 PM cost of living?
ned Offline

Loc: USA
...hi all...i am trying to find some approx. costs related to living in Spain. Monthly electricity, water, garbage collection, gas(if it is used for cooking or heating water), telephone, internet, property taxes etc. I appreciate that numbers can vary according to location etc and so i would like to base it on a couple living in a small house or condo in a city about the size of Sevilla.
A link to a web site or any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

#65175 - 05/03/06 02:37 PM Re: cost of living?
Jerezano Offline

Loc: Fez/Jerez
It doesn't just depend on location, it's also all about your consumption: how many appliances you have (and how energy efficient they are), how many showers you like to take a day, how much you'll be cooking at home, how much you'll be spending on calling back to the States, etc. I or someone else could give you figures on how much we've spent in the last two months (many bills are for two month periods) but they won't mean much.

What I can say from experience is that gas, water, garbage (charged along with water), electricity and property taxes (IBI) are lower here than what I had to pay in the US. Phone charges are unbelievable, I have 200-300 euro phone bills one right after another. Internet access costs around 30 euro a month. I've heard mixed reviews about their customer service but you might want to look into ONO for a cable tv, phone/internet package.

#65176 - 05/04/06 08:09 AM Re: cost of living?
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Where are you calling? Phone calls to Europe and US and Canada can be had for a little as a penny a min. I use skype rather than phone cards mainly because I can a web cam with it.

Generally speaking the cost of living is lower here than northern Europe particularly the UK, but housing costs are high. Madrid for example rents for a 2 bedroom run around a 1000 euros.

there are several british expat websites which deal with Spain they also have loads of info on living here.

#65177 - 05/04/06 04:30 PM Re: cost of living?
Lonoma Offline

Loc: Sevilla, Spain.
Para que se haga una pequeña idea, for a couple with no kids, living in Sevilla in a two bedroom - rented appartment, centrally located, the monthly cost is:

Appartement: 500/600 € (water and garbage included)
Electricity: 40 €
Gas: 30 €
Telephone & Internet: 50 €
Rented car-park: 120 € (or free in streets)

#65178 - 05/04/06 09:29 PM Re: cost of living?
ned Offline

Loc: USA
..hi all...since my initial request i have come accross a useful site: www.spainexpat.com...has a wealth of info.
...Lonoma...your numbers tied in pretty well with what i found on the expat site!!
...thanks to all for your help

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1573 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments