Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#65101 - 11/22/05 03:33 PM Madrid - telephone booths
Virgil Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI, USA
I was in Madrid recently for a brief stay and had trouble using the Telefonica telephone booths (for local calls, with Euro coins). I eventually was able to make my calls, but I fumbled around too much and did not find the onboard instructions to be helpful. So, what is the proper procedure??. For example, pick up the handset, insert coin(s) (how much?), punch in the phone number? And how do I know if additional coins are needed? Thanks.

#65102 - 11/23/05 05:42 AM Re: Madrid - telephone booths
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quote:
I ... had trouble using the Telefonica telephone booths (for local calls, with Euro coins). I eventually was able to make my calls, but I ... did not find the onboard instructions to be helpful. So, what is the proper procedure??.
It's been about 4-years since I used coins in a Telefonica pay phone in Spain; but as I recall, it was just like using one in the U.S.: lift the handset; insert a 20-euro cent coin; listen for a dial tone and punch in the number you are calling. I never exceeded the basic time, so I can't tell you about how they cue you to pay overages. The 20-euro cent may have increased since 2002, but I don't know that for a fact. rolleyes

I assume you are planing to visit Spain again soon (otherwise, why the questions?). I always buy a Tarjeta Telefonica: the one with the I/C on the card. You insert that into the slot on the upper right of the phone and the screen tells you how much (Euro-credit) you have remaining. cool

#65103 - 11/23/05 10:49 AM Re: Madrid - telephone booths
YZYZ Offline

Loc: Madrid

#65104 - 11/24/05 06:26 AM Re: Madrid - telephone booths
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Agree with the above pieces of advice. I always find that phone booths are situated right next to a busy road junction. Nice planning guys...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments