Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#65055 - 08/30/05 07:54 AM British taxi drivers in Spain?
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I've heard of an English bullfighter in Spain and even a Welsh football manager (John Toshack, who managed sveral clubs). But I've never come across a British taxi driver (I can think of several reasons why not). Is there anyone there who has come across one?

#65056 - 08/30/05 08:52 AM Re: British taxi drivers in Spain?
Amleth Offline

Loc: Madrid
You've got Michael Robinson who works as sports commentator in Canal + too.

Ian Gibson writer and hispanist who lives in Granada.

I've never seen a British taxi driver, at least in Madrid, but there must be some for sure; in places like Valencia or Andalucía.

I know there are British plumbers in Granada, bartenders everywhere, etc.

#65057 - 08/30/05 01:12 PM Re: British taxi drivers in Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
First, think of, say, New York City and the diverse nationalities of the taxi drivers. You won't find this so much in Spain - if at all. There was an article about an anomoly in the ranks in that of a Japanese taxi driver whose family came to Madrid many years ago. Apparently he was in another profession when the company closed.

Taxi drivers are a pretty powerful union in the big cities and maybe throughout Spain. It's only my impression that "not just anybody" can apply (and get) a taxi driver's license/permit. In all my years of taking taxis in Madrid/Barcelona/Seville/villages I don't think I've EVER encountered a non-Spanish driver. And only ONCE have I had a female (spanish) taxi driver.

I'd imagine that IF there was ever a place for British taxi drivers it would HAVE TO BE somewhere along the Costa del Sol.

Anyone have any enlightening information on this topic?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65058 - 05/11/07 12:34 AM Re: British taxi drivers in Spain?
Uki Offline

Loc: Madrid
It's quite hard to get a taxi licence of your own. They are so expensive. And the exam is so difficult: you need to know the city (I mean Madrid, a taxi driver gave me this info) very, very well (even little streets not so famous), where are most important hotels, restaurants, places...

My vet is in Ventas and I live near Leganés. I need to visit them once a week or maybe more (because I gather cats from the street and they need proffesional care sometimes) and I can't go by metro (it takes more time, 3 lines, people, heavy kennels...) so I usually need taxis. The only foreigners I've seen are from Africa (one from Nigeria and one from Morocco) and South America (Ecuador). I've seen about 10 female taxi drivers.

Don't buy pets, adopt them

#65059 - 05/13/07 10:51 AM Re: British taxi drivers in Spain?
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I have not seen a British Taxi Driver here BUT...someone in Majadahonda owns a real British Taxi and drives it occasionally, seen it out this past week by Tony Romas.

#65060 - 05/14/07 08:14 PM Re: British taxi drivers in Spain?
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
MadridMan and good company,

I had the pleasure of having 2 (read 'dos') female taxi drivers during my last visit. Both were excellent and knew clever short cuts/detours around the obras.

Never ran into a British or English taxi driver, yet, but will keep my eyes peeled.

Having ridden taxis in both London and other UK cities as well as Madrid and other Spanish cities, I have to say I found the Spanish to be the more interesting on balance. They always seemed up for a chat, helped me improve my language skills, recommended lottery possibilities, as well as beaches, restaurants, and so forth. None of the Spanish drivers, including the ladies, were shy about politics either.

Just my opinion, but the absolute worst taxi drivers to date have been those in New York (Philadelphia a close second) and after more than 20 years of them, I've about had it. They drive recklessly, half the time need directions, and couldn't care less about the passengers. For this fine service they earn the zero tip. Yes, I'll take that last centavo en cambio.

Saludos!

El Almirante

#65061 - 05/16/07 11:46 AM Re: British taxi drivers in Spain?
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
there is one who is working out of benalmadena who i thought was great i felt a lot safer than spanish taxi drivers, at least he took his time instead of trying to give micheal schumacker a run for his money.
he went by the name of wait for it:
Easyjeff rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1841 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments