Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65007 - 07/01/05 10:23 PM spanish punctuation on the computer..
cazador007 Offline

Loc: Cuidad de Denton, Los Tejas
As someone who works in tech support, I feel retarded asking this.

how in the bloody heck do you get it to type spanish punctuation such as the upside down ? and the ~ over the n in words? Driving me quite mad!

#65008 - 07/01/05 11:03 PM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I installed the Spanish keyboard function by going to the control panel and selecting "keyboard". Once you do that, you can alternate between English and Spanish using the taskbar on the bottom of your screen.

By a little trial and error I came up with the right letters.

ñ is :, ¿ is =, ¡ is +, ? is _ and for the accent
you type [ and then the letter.

I hope this helps.

Matt

#65009 - 07/01/05 11:17 PM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
cazador007 Offline

Loc: Cuidad de Denton, Los Tejas
O.k. thanks. but when I goto the keyboard icon in the control panel and double click it, I don't see anythign regarding switching to SPanish....Help?

#65010 - 07/02/05 01:53 AM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
When you go to the keyboard function there is a language tab. Select this and then click "Add Language". There will be a drop down menu offering many languages to select. Click the Spanish. It should be easy after that.

#65011 - 07/02/05 10:26 AM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
jabch Offline

This is awesome. I always have to draft documents in English and Spanish on Wordperfect (which I find less than perfect) and punctuation in Spanish was a always a real pain...This is much better and simple! Thanks.

#65012 - 07/03/05 11:09 AM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Since I have to type in several languages, I find it easier not to change my keyboard and use the old ASCII system. For example the ñ is just Alt + 164 on the number pad; the ¿ is Alt+168.

On another note...I prefer Word Perfect over Word. Those ridiculous blue screens do not appear nor am I told that I have committed an illegal action and that my computer program will close...or that a file opens in "read-only."

Sheryl

#65013 - 07/04/05 06:42 AM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
Here is a more complete list.

Just hold down the ALT key, and while holding down the alt key, type in the three (or four) digit number using the numeric keypad on the right hand side of the keyboard. After typing in the three (or four) digit number, release the ALT key

á: ALT + 160
Á: ALT + 0193
é: ALT + 130
É: ALT + 144
í: ALT + 161
Í: ALT + 0205
ó: ALT + 162
Ó: ALT + 0211
ú: ALT + 163
Ú: ALT + 0218
ñ: ALT + 164
Ñ: ALT + 165
ü: ALT + 0252
Ü: ALT + 0220
¿: ALT + 168
¡: ALT + 173

#65014 - 11/10/05 05:38 AM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
In Word, you use ctrl-' followed by the vowel (upper or lower case will work) for the accent.

You can also use the menu item Insert/Symbol... and assign your own keyboard combinations -- it will warn you if you are replacing any default combinations -- you don't want to replace often-used ones (like ctrl-c for copy, etc.).

For example, I assigned alt-n for ñ and alt-shift-n for Ñ.

However, bear in mind these won't work outside of Word.

#65015 - 11/10/05 11:23 AM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
SS wrote:
Quote:
In Word, you use ctrl-' followed by the vowel (upper or lower case will work) for the accent.
Hmm... That didn't work for me in MS-WORD frown but I finally know (by heart) the ALT+number-sequence.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65016 - 11/10/05 03:37 PM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I can change my keyboard to Spanish when I am in Word, but can't figure out how to do it with my web-based email or even with posting here at MM.com. Can anyone help my technologically-challenged self?

#65017 - 11/11/05 09:19 AM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
mse924 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA / Madrid, Españ...
Quote:
When I had a desktop computer, I always used the CTRL + number method...but I've found that doesn't work on a laptop computer (or at least mine). The CTRL ' method seems to always work for me. It's also easier because you don't have to remember all the number oombos smile

#65018 - 11/11/05 11:48 AM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
mse924 wrote:
Quote:
When I had a desktop computer, I always used the CTRL + number method...but I've found that doesn't work on a laptop computer (or at least mine). The CTRL ' method seems to always work for me.
Just for clarification, ¿don't you mean the "ALT + number method"?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65019 - 11/11/05 03:29 PM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
mse924 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA / Madrid, Españ...
Whoops yeah. It was a wee bit early when I posted that before...

#65020 - 11/12/05 06:56 PM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
carmencitav Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
Hello:
For me, the easiest access to Spanish characters(and all other languages, even arabic, german etc) in Word has always been : START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/ SYSTEM TOOLS/ CHARACTER MAP . This will show a whole list of characters which when clicked will reveal the formula for that character. Example: ALT+0241 (typed simultaneously) will give you the ñ (eñe). (use the numbers keypad only) ALT+0191 will give you the ¿. ALT+0163 = £ (sterling pound symbol). Then I print the ones I use the most and keep it next to my computer. I've almost memorized most of them. I'm sure there are other methods but work in several languages and do not like to dedicate the language of my keyboard. Try it- it's fun.
Saludos
Carmencitav

#65021 - 11/13/05 09:34 AM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
What about when you are not in word, like sending web-based email or posting on the internet? Anyone?

#65022 - 11/13/05 11:56 AM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
carmencitav Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
Hello Jana:
Sorry you don't have to be in Word. You can see from my e mail that I typed the characters and I was online with MadridMan - not in Word. Sorry.
carmencitav

#65023 - 12/07/05 10:21 PM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
FreezingInMN Offline

Loc: St Paul, MN
In order to use Spanish punctuation in web-based email or the internet, you have to know the HTML code to do it. For example, when you want to write "también", you would write "tambi & e acute; n". You have to add "&+the letter you want accented+acute;". Also, there should be no spaces in the word, but as I write this the word automatically changes to have the accent. To make the "ñ", & ntilde;. (Again, no spaces after the &.)

Hope this makes sense.

#65024 - 12/08/05 04:11 AM Re: spanish punctuation on the computer..
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Just out of curiosity, how do you deal with the euro € (AltGr+e in european keyboards) I know is not an spanish specific problem but still,...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments