Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64925 - 03/17/05 09:09 AM URGENT Debit Card question! HELP
isleroyal Offline

Loc: Michigan
Leaving for Madrid & Costa del Sol in 4 days! YIPEE laugh Just returned from the bank, depositing spending $$ etc... and wanted to inform them of our using our card out of the country. Here's the rub. We do NOT have CREDIT cards, we only use DEBIT cards. Now we have travelled extensivly throughout Europe for years with our Visa Debit card, without any problems, renting cars, apartments, shopping, ATM's etc. BUT my bank is telling me that Spain will not accept debit cards. confused frown
I was advised to get those Visa Gift cards, since they already have the money there and can't be "refilled" they are safer. confused So I purchased 3K worth of gift cards max $500 on each card (per bank), what a pain. These gift cards say "gift card" & "debit card" anyone know what the difference is between this card and my regular visa debit card is? confused Did my bank steer me wrong? HELP!! I am so confused confused confused
Thank you,
Isleroyal

P.S. Madrid Man if this is not in the right forum PLEASE move it or let me know where else to post this.
thanks laugh

#64926 - 03/17/05 09:40 AM Re: URGENT Debit Card question! HELP
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hmmm, I have three debit cards and no credit cards, and I haven't had any problems traveling through my country rolleyes

Fernando

#64927 - 03/17/05 09:54 AM Re: URGENT Debit Card question! HELP
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
i used my debit card almost exclusively while I was living there, especially since you can always, as a last resort, get money out at an ATM. If possible, I would try to take back the gift cards. I dont know about those, but it sure sounds like a pain to me!

#64928 - 03/17/05 10:05 AM Re: URGENT Debit Card question! HELP
isleroyal Offline

laugh Thank you, the more research I am doing the more full of bull I think my bank is. I think I'll pretend I am a Matador wink Think I could "charge" at them for the inconvenience. Wow was that corny? smile I do think I will use one for the rental car so they don't put an additional "hold" on funds while we have the car. I find many car rental agencies like to do that, and with one of the gift cards they will be unable to do so.
I appreciate the rapid response to my dilema.
YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST! laugh

#64929 - 03/17/05 10:14 AM Re: URGENT Debit Card question! HELP
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
T debit should be able to be used at atms. One thing. If you have a long pin number it will not work. Usually they take a 4- digit pin.

#64930 - 03/17/05 10:27 AM Re: URGENT Debit Card question! HELP
isleroyal Offline

mad On the phone right now with my bank (Hold actually), they now tell me that just my bank has stopped allowing their customers to use their debit cards in Spain due to fraud. I wish they had said that yesterday! I am so pi**ed! Time to find a new bank! ON top of that they tell me if I use the gift cards as an ATM withdrawl there is a $2.50 fee! Well I am marching myself and most of these "gift" cards right back to the bank. mad I must calm down prior to entering, I don't need to get arrested! laugh

#64931 - 03/17/05 10:34 AM Re: URGENT Debit Card question! HELP
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
Just get some american express traveler's checks.Good luck!

#64932 - 03/17/05 12:12 PM Re: URGENT Debit Card question! HELP
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Isleroyal,

What a problem!

If you don't have a credit card, then Matador's advice is the best. You will have to remember that not every establishment accepts traveler's checks, so be sure and cash these in a manner that assures you ready cash for your stay. I got the best rate at the Barajas airport at the American Express ticket counter. Sadly banks and changing houses will charge high fees for the exchange.

Good luck!

#64933 - 03/17/05 12:19 PM Re: URGENT Debit Card question! HELP
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I don't think you can rent a car in Spain without a credit card or Visa debit card, though I could be wrong...

I seem to remember that there was a note when I last rented a car here (through Pepe Car) that said they would not accept those prepaid debit cards, either.

#64934 - 03/17/05 08:02 PM Re: URGENT Debit Card question! HELP
LW Offline

Loc: USA
Hi, I had run across this link awhile ago, and it might help you figure out which route to take. Especially, go down to where it says pre-paid debit cards. Good luck
http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publica...ards_cash.shtml
btw- my bank also told me that my debit card would stop working in spain due to fraud. I was there last Oct and tried it once in a atm-it worked, and once at a supermarket cashier-it didn't work,and because I had brought euros with me,I didn't try it again. wink
Suerte
Kerry~LittleWing~

#64935 - 03/18/05 10:02 AM Re: URGENT Debit Card question! HELP
richie Offline

Loc: barcelona
I`ve used my Cirrus/STAR ATM card in Spain ( I actually live off of it) Uruguay, Colombia, Brazil and Panama. Never had a problem got the best exchange rate and NO fees. (Get this, if I use it at a bank around the corner from my NY bank, they would charge $3.00 meanwhile I go to another continent or hemisphere and I get charged zip).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2216 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments