Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6490 - 02/10/04 12:04 PM Madrid: Hostal Adriano?
neverintown Offline

We'll be in Madrid May 5-11. Is Hostal Adriano a good place for the week? Also, we are two women so safety is a concern.

Thanks!

#6491 - 02/10/04 02:00 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Adriano?
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
I am going to get some flak for this, but I was underimpressed with Adriano. Stayed there in the past month. The prices were raised after our reservation, the staff was not particularly friendly, rooms were IKEAed out and very small, and the toilets were tiny--like being on an airplane. By guess is that they have done so well from all the great postings here, that they have not yet had the time nor need to regroup. NO sense whatsoever of a family hostal. At 55€ a night, US$70, I am sorry, but not a great deal. I would say it was OK, 4/5 out of 10. IMHO, Hotel Santander was a bit better, say 5.5/10.

What a difference when we went to Cordoba. Stayed at the Hotel Mezquita for 41€. Friendly and the ultimate location. Plus b-fast was included. Yeah, apples and oranges for sure, but friendliness in big cities are all the more appreciated.

My two cents worth.

#6492 - 02/11/04 12:32 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Adriano?
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
We have reservations for April 8-18 at Hostal Adriano. If you check back after that date, I will file a report regarding our stay.

You probably want to book it now, because with adequate notice you can cancel without penalty.
I can assure you, even without having stayed there, that Hostal Adriano would be far better than sleeping on a park bench...

Saludos

#6493 - 02/11/04 08:04 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Adriano?
annquinn Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO
I just got back from Madrid last night. My friend and I stayed at the Adriano. It is so conveniently located near everything. We felt completely safe (2 women)walking around at night. True, the bathrooms are a bit small and narrow, but they are very clean, great water pressure, and decorated nicely. We did have to request another room our second night's stay due to the outside street noise, which was not a problem. We found Alberto and his staff to be very friendly and accommodating. I would definitely stay there again. For 2 people sharing expenses, staying at the Hostel Adriano is very affordable. The entrance on the main floor and stairwell is still under construction and a bit dusty. However, when it's finished, I believe it will be really quite nice. smile

#6494 - 02/15/04 09:45 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Adriano?
Floroz Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I stayed at the Hostal Adriano last Sept. While the staff was very accommodating, the rooms were sparse, but clean and comfortable, my room happened to be on the inside and was quiet. It is 5 flights of stairs and as for the neighborhood, daytime was ok, but our tapas tour guide walked me home because it was after dark and he felt it was necessary. On my return trip I went back to the Hotel Europa where I felt safe day and night. At that time the price difference between the Adriano and the Europa was not all that great.

#6495 - 02/20/04 04:30 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Adriano?
NYCritter Offline

Loc: New York, USA
We have reservations for the end of May, and was wondering from those of you who have already stayed which rooms (if you can remember the number) were the most quiet, and the furthest away from the front desk.
Since there really aren't many no smoking rooms in Spain, for those of us who are no longer smokers,did the rooms smell very heavily of smoke?
And another thing, a friend was joking about the quality of inroom safes in some of the hotels, she said,"oh sure they're secure, just pick them up and put'em under your arm and walk out the hotel with them." So, is this the case, here?
Lastly, I was at a website that shows not only maps of exact locations in Madrid, but also photos of the location, and the adjacent buildings. According to the pictures I saw, just around the corner from the Adriano there is a store front with the Marquee "Sex Shop"? Is it true?
Just wondering if the neighborhood is safe at night???
Thanks for any responses
Happy trails!!!

#6496 - 02/20/04 11:25 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Adriano?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I rarely if ever smell smoke and to my recollection there aren't even ashtrays in the rooms. The safes are bolted down and the sex shop has been closed for my last 2 visits (September and early February).

The Adriano is in a very high traffic area amongst tascas and several clubs that have bouncers on the street. (Torero is in the same building!) You are very safe at least until 2am, later on the weekends.

As always, watch out for pickpockets.

#6497 - 02/23/04 05:36 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Adriano?
NYCritter Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Thanks Mongo!!
Appreciate the info. Do you have a favorite room?
Just wondering??
Critter

#6498 - 02/23/04 08:26 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Adriano?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I have good news and I have not-so-good news regarding Hostal Adriano .

The Good News: They'll be installing an elevator in the building within (about) 6 months!!!

The not-so-good-news: Unfortunately guests cannot choose their rooms. Alberto has told me the "showing" of all the rooms, numbered, has caused many people to request particular rooms but accomodating these requests is difficult if even possible because .. well.. logistics makes it difficult. Sorry!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#6499 - 03/08/04 12:43 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Adriano?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by epaulino4 on 03-08-2004 12:18 PM]

To: Almohada regarding Hostal Adriano

Almohada,

Different people, different things. To say that the bathrooms are the size on the airplanes is unfair by the sizes of bathrooms in Europe. I truly believe they have done very well and deserve every compliment they have received from customers for being great people persons and paying attention to the minimal detail.

The attitude of some hostal owners must change. You call or going in inquiring about rooms and they manage to make you feel like you are creating a problem, waking them up from a siesta and yes, they slam phones and doors on you. Hostal Adriano makes a difference in the Hostal business.

The IKEA rooms are different from the majority of the hostals. I find them refreshing and great to come back to. I requested a tour of the rooms and as I have done at other hostals in the area, and their sizes, ambiance and cleanliness are way above average.

I differ from you in terms Hostal Adriano being a non-friendly place. Two events that makes me value and continue going back to them: Six weeks ago due to a severe snow storm in Boston, my plane was late arriving Miami and therefore missed my plane to Madrid. I emailed Hostal Adriano about the situation and received a very humane response, did not charge me for that night and moved me to the following night.

After my first night, as I was going out for the day, I made a passing comment to the gentleman from Rumania at the reception desk about my difficulties sleeping that Friday night. They immediately moved me to another room. I was delighted and very appreciative of it, knowing that they were fully booked during that weekend of Fitur.

I find that they are very innovative, willing to listen to customer’s feedback and keep surprising me with details such as having five hairdryers available for guests. I have been at hostals where they do not even have a plug in for a phone or anything else.

I think they have a great hostal which is only going to get better after the remodeling is finished and elevator installed.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments