Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#64899 - 02/15/05 01:35 PM What is closed in Madrid on Good Friday?
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I will be arriving in Madrid on Holy Thursday and will have a complete day on Friday in Madrid, returning to NY on Saturday afternoon. (yo sé...poquísimo tiempo en Madrid frown ) I will be with a group of high school students and we had a plan to visit El Museo del Prado on Friday...but I am concerned because it is closed eek Does anyone know if that is tru of all the museums in Madrid? Also, will El Corte Inglés be closed on Holy Thursday or Good Friday?
Does anyone know??

#64900 - 02/15/05 02:12 PM Re: What is closed in Madrid on Good Friday?
Meg Offline

Loc: Madrid via Pennsylvania
I'm not sure about all the museums, but since Thursday and Friday are national holidays some may be closed or have reduced hours (mornings only). I'm pretty sure El Corte Inglés and just about every other store (except maybe souvenir shops) will be closed both days. The music and books part of El Corte Inglés in Sol might be open because I know they usually open Sundays when other stores are closed--but the main Corte Inglés building will probably be closed. If you really want to go shopping those days the only place you'll find open is the Xanadu mall outside of Madrid since it's the only one that opens every day of the year.

#64901 - 02/15/05 03:13 PM Re: What is closed in Madrid on Good Friday?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
esperanza, you'll find the answers to your questions in the Madrid Museums page . I recently updated the hours and holidays for the top 3 Madrid museums.

UPDATE: Well, crud!!! It seems they JUST recently changed this information.. SINCE I updated MY
museums page. UGH!! rolleyes More work for me...

Now, as you say, it's CLOSED on Easter Friday. Be sure to check the websites for the other hotels. You'll find their links through the Madrid Museums page .

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#64902 - 02/15/05 05:44 PM Re: What is closed in Madrid on Good Friday?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
If there is one day in Semana Santa when just about everything is closed (including El Corte Inglés) it's Good Friday. At least that's the way it used to be. These things can change from year to year. Most stores are closed on Holy Thursday too in most parts of the country, Madrid included. I don't know whether the Corte Inglés is closed on Holy Thursday or not, but as Meg said, you'll probably find the record and book section open. For some reason I get the feeling Corte Inglés is open that day.

By the way, Holy Thursday isn't really a national holiday because in some Comunidades Autónomas (Cataluña, La Comunitat Valenciana, Las Islas Baleares, for example) it's officially a regular work day. Instead they take Easter Monday off.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments