Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64740 - 12/30/04 06:40 PM Spanish-style New Year's Celebrations?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
What will you be doing New Year's Eve?

I'll be opening with some pintxoak, dining on lobster bisque, roast tri-tip, and finishing with a little torta de mazapan...and sucking uvas with my Basque family and friends here in California.

I wish you all a Happy New Year. In the words of Mecano "en el año que viene, a ver si en vez de un millón, pueden ser dos." Que así será...

Agur

#64741 - 12/30/04 08:18 PM Re: Spanish-style New Year's Celebrations?
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Calibasco: I have heard that the largest group of Basques outside of Spain are in Elko, Nevada and that they have a large Basque celebration every year. Have you been to the celebration? If you have been to the festivities I would be interested to have your input. cool

#64742 - 12/31/04 04:32 PM Re: Spanish-style New Year's Celebrations?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Check HERE for a listing of Basque Clubs all over the country. Elko has one of the larger and better-organized groups, and within even our own club, their festivities are "legendary." Alas, I haven't been caught in Elko during one of them, but did get a chance to see their dancers at the last Jaialdi in Boise back in 2000. This summer's Jailaldi [always in Boise] should be fantastic as well.

#64743 - 12/31/04 08:39 PM Re: Spanish-style New Year's Celebrations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
My Spanish-style New Years Eve here in Madrid has come to an end and everyone is now in bed (at 3am) - except me! We started cooking at about 9:30pm and ate by 10:30pm. We had mellon with ham, then berberechos (small clams), peel-and-eat shrimp, Manchego and Tetilla cheeses, and many other delicious foods. Then, at about 11:30 pm, more family came by to witness midnight and eat the 12 grapes. What fun. After all hugs and kisses were passed around, we went up to the terraza (the roof where clothes are hung to dry) to watch the many many fireworks being shot off (and still, now, at 2:30am they´re going off!) through the neighborhood and the city. After that, back to the dining table and to watch some of the New Years celebration programs on TV. We a champagne, ice cream, and cinnamon drink which was SO good. Yummm... Finally, all was finished when the youngest (6 years old) and some of the oldest (70+ years old) were falling asleep at the table so that´s where it ended, at about 2pm or so. In the morning, *I* have A LOT of fregando (washing of dishes) to do since all the cooking was done by my ladyfriend. And what wonderful foods she cooked. My goodness. WE had Ribeiro white wine and Marqués de Griñon (Rioja) red wine with dinner.

Time for bed. No hay porras mañana por la mañana.

Happy New Year!!! Un prospero año a todos.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#64744 - 12/31/04 08:46 PM Re: Spanish-style New Year's Celebrations?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

MM: Thanks for the trip down Amnesia Lane: I remember the two New Year's Eves I spent in Spain as the LOUDEST nights of my life. I couldn't believe the quantity [and quality, actually] of fireworks being set off. What a fabulously noisy, wonderful fiesta!

¡Feliz año nuevo a todos!

#64745 - 12/31/04 08:57 PM Re: Spanish-style New Year's Celebrations?
steven77 Offline

Well as a Basque, you know about explosions ! ha ha!How do you reflect on 2004? especially the third month?

#64746 - 01/01/05 08:01 AM Re: Spanish-style New Year's Celebrations?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Uff, I'm still with my stomach filled and it is 13:53 in the afternoon.

We had foie, cured serrano ham, cured lomo (is even better than ham), then for the first course we had a caldo (meat soup), for the second course boiled seafood (swrimps, camarones, langostinos and cigalas), for the third course we had a superb solomillo (steak) with sweet small onions and chopped mushrooms all with two types of spanish red wines from Toro (León) and Rioja. For dessert we had a mix of different fruits (berries, papaya, kiwis,...) and finally, as is tradition, we had the twelve grapes and a good catalonian cava smile

And after that, of course, some Christmass cookies and candies, coofee and alcoholic drinks.

At 2 o'clock in the morning, after seeing the most incredible fireworks I've ever seen in my neighbourhood, people went out with friends. I decided for the first time ever to stay at home and sleep laugh

Frankly, I couldn't really move with all what we had eaten laugh

Fernando

#64747 - 01/01/05 08:18 AM Re: Spanish-style New Year's Celebrations?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Fernando

I'm booking my flight to your house for the next New Years eve laugh I hope that's ok? wink

All the best for 2005 everyone.

Jo

#64748 - 01/01/05 08:26 AM Re: Spanish-style New Year's Celebrations?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

You will be welcome Jo-Anne! wink

Fernando

PD: Steven77, that was a really missfortunate comment. Only a minority of basques support violent means.

#64749 - 01/01/05 10:39 AM Re: Spanish-style New Year's Celebrations?
steven77 Offline

Yes,Fernando, sorry the remark was out of order.
It seemed funny last night after drinking too much alcohol.
Please accept my apologies.

#64750 - 01/01/05 01:02 PM Re: Spanish-style New Year's Celebrations?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Never mind Steven77. No apologies needed to me wink But Cali may have something to say.

I have forbidden myself to post on BBS after celebrations... you never know what you are posting hehehe laugh

Fernando

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2145 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments