Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#64632 - 11/25/04 03:05 PM Re: My anonymous Spanish ancestor
Agapito Offline

Loc: Santander, Spain
Probably the Spanish region with more blue eyed people among its population is Galicia, in the very north west.

That your ancestors fought for Napoleon is not so strange, since the Napoleon’s troops included many forced soldiers from the countries invaded by the French troops, and many mercenaries too.

Spain has given many mercenaries to foreign Armies along its history. And Galicia, since it is one of the poorest regions of Spain give many, many mercenaries, together with Extremadura (where there are also usual the blue eyed people, and from Extremadura come many conquistadors, like Pizarro or Hernán Cortés)

#64633 - 11/25/04 04:57 PM Re: My anonymous Spanish ancestor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cali:

Quote:
Hey Ignacio...the "where have I heard that before recently" comment....hmmm....maybe "that country you're thinking of" got its ideas from "a certain monarchy who in the late 15th century imposed its will on an established religious and gubernatorial system finally expelling them in 1492
I was not thinking in this very country, you know wink , but that one too, imperialists resemble each other. The one you mention imposed their control, their razzias, religion, and confiscated goods not only in America, but also in Europe. smile cool

#64634 - 11/30/04 06:49 AM Re: My anonymous Spanish ancestor
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
My boyfriend from madrid has light brown hair (used to be blond when he was little), and blue/green eyes. He does not look typically Spanish, but was born and bred in madrid. Parents as far as i know both from madrid too.

#64635 - 11/30/04 02:30 PM Re: My anonymous Spanish ancestor
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Rustedbird: If you are wanting to trace your family tree back to it's European origins where ever that might lead, I would recomend starting with the records of the Mormon Church. Look in your local phone book for the nearest one to you, call them and ask where the nearest "Family Center" is. There is no charge to use their facility and most have records going back into the 15th century. If they have to order records from Salt Lake City they will charge you a small handleing fee. The records that they send for will not be allowed to remove from their center but you will be allowed to read it and make your records from the center. They are not going to start to preach to you about joining the Mormon Church as many people think. From the Salt Lake City records they claim to have records going all the way to Adam and Eve. There claim not mine.

Another excellant place to look for information is the immigration records from the various ports of entry. If you have some idea as to when you ancestors came to America you can find out which ports were open then and start going through the records for the ports. That may help trace it backward. Several books and movies have been made where immigration was part of the plot and how the names have been changed at the ports by immigrations officers. How do you think all the Smiths, Jones etc got here. Excellant examples of this are Kane and Able by Jeffery Archer and The Godfather Part Two by Mario Puzzo.

Feel free to send me a personal E mail and I might possibly provide more places to look. Be sure to mention the Madridman in the subject line so that I will know to open the mail rather than delete without opening.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2278 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments