MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64476 - 05/23/04 10:28 AM Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I don't know if this deserves a separate post or where 'MadridMan' thinks it belongs but: As I watched the Royal Wedding yesterday (on Univision), I saw or heard a couple of things that 'rattled my cage:'

The first was the pen used to sign the Registry (and Libro de Familia?). It was the most inexpensive BIC you can buy! That really turned me off! I tried to abate my anger by attributing it to Church frugality; but the Catholic Church enjoys a privileged place in Spanish society (and in the Royal Family). They could at least have spent a few Euros on a decent pen. When I got married in la Iglesia de Nuestra Senhora del Pilar in el Barrio de Salamanca, my Padrino supplied a Mont Blanc fountain pen which he later gave to us as a remembrance.

The next was a Locutor Mexicano who described a Gallego musical group, dressed in typical Galician garb and playing Gaitas Gallegas as being from Scotland. This Idiot saw Bagpipes and figured they must be from Scotland. I was livid!

Did anyone else notice these things? My wife is usually 'on top of' things like this; but she says she didn't notice the 'Wal-Mart' BIC ballpoint pen that was used.

#64477 - 05/23/04 11:02 AM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Eddie wrote:
Quote:
The first was the pen used to sign the Registry (and Libro de Familia?). It was the most inexpensive BIC you can buy! That really turned me off! I tried to abate my anger by attributing it to Church frugality; but the Catholic Church enjoys a privileged place in Spanish society (and in the Royal Family). They could at least have spent a few Euros on a decent pen.
How did you know it was an inexpensive BIC ballpoint pen? Did you see it or was this detail listed on a website somewhere or did the announcer mention it? Just curious. Thanks! And hope you (or your wife) got to WATCH some live coverage of the wedding.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#64478 - 05/23/04 11:36 AM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I remember it and it was a gold pen...

And the bagpipes' players were asturian. Asturias and Galicia have celtic roots (the same as Scotland, Ireland and Wales), and bagpipes are very common wink

Fernando

#64479 - 05/23/04 04:55 PM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
granada94 Offline

Loc: West Haven, CT
Glad to see that someone else rolled out of bed at the God foresaken hour to wake the royal wedding. Any true Prince Felipe fan did the same. It was a struggle but I managed to checkout the entire broadcast on Univision that started at 4am also.

I too noticed that the commentator mentioned the band being from Scotland. I thought that being half asleep I might have missed something in his description. But strangely enough the recap show on Univision talked out the importance of each regions traditions and music. Someone knew their stuff the second time around. It's unfortunate that during the live broadcast, someone did not do the proper research.

As for the pen, I'm reviewing my taping and will let you know!

Debbie

#64480 - 05/23/04 07:20 PM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

MadridMan writes:
Quote:
How did you know it was an inexpensive BIC ballpoint pen?
I could tell by looking at it.
Quote:
Did you see it or was this detail listed on a website somewhere or did the announcer mention it? Just curious. Thanks! And hope you (or your wife) got to WATCH some live coverage of the wedding.
It's not something that would be listed on a website or that a Locutor Espanhol would report on with pride.

Fernando writes:
Quote:
I remember it and it was a gold pen...
Not the one I saw!

Wife got up at 3:00 AM (in Philadelphia) to watch the Madrid rainstorm. I watched later. When I saw the boligrafo as the Priests and then the Royal couple signed the documents it was just evident to me that this was a 'cheapie' ballpoint pen - not what one would expect at a Royal Wedding. rolleyes

#64481 - 05/23/04 09:30 PM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
granada94 Offline

Loc: West Haven, CT
I just rewatched 2 different broadcasts of the wedding and the pen appeared to be gold in color. Oh well. I guess we all have different views. smile

Anyone know of the official dollar amount or should I say euros involved in the entire day? I've heard several different totals reported.
What color was Queen Sofia wearing? I consider her to quite fashionable but not sure if I was overally impressed with the dress.
Debbie

#64482 - 05/23/04 10:21 PM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Here\'s a photo of Letizia holding the pen. It looks to me like a silver and black fountain pen. I popped it into Photoshop and enlarged it, but it wasn't any clearer.

As for the Queen\'s dress , I believe it was a very light beige. I actually liked it better than the bride's! Did you see how the fabric flowed as Sofia walked from the Palace to the Cathedral? Beautiful! The black mantilla seemed a bit severe, though.

#64483 - 05/24/04 01:11 AM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Did anyone in Seattle happen to tape the wedding (and be willing to let me borrow the tape)? I fell asleep on the couch before setting the VCR :o

#64484 - 05/24/04 05:59 AM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Diana writes:
Quote:
Here's a photo of Letizia holding the pen. It looks to me like a silver and black fountain pen. I popped it into Photoshop and enlarged it, but it wasn't any clearer.
Silver & black?

That looks to me like the transparent barrel of a 5-for-a-dollar BIC ballpoint (i.e., not silver, plastc). If you look closely you can see the cap at the top thru the plastic.

Thanks for the photo, Diana; it shows quite clearly that the pen is not gold (as some 'posters' have said).

#64485 - 05/24/04 09:09 AM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Ummm, that isn't a golpen pen laugh

However I was almost sure I saw the King and the Queen signing with a golden pen. It seems I was wrong wink

As for the pen itself it is not a BIC, but I'm not sure if it was a plastic one or an expensive one...

We woulf have to ask the couple!

Fernando

#64486 - 05/26/04 06:51 AM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Here's one for MadridMan: The wine list for the Wedding dinner lists Albarinho (Denominacion de Origen - Rias Baixas) as the white wine and Rioja as the redwine (also Cava Blanca). rolleyes

#64487 - 05/27/04 12:50 PM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Now this is a great debate about an important topic! When I look at the photo, I can't see through the barrel of the pen and I see the black lowere portion and the silver colored pen tip. Looks to me like it might be a Waterman or other type of fountain pen.

#64488 - 05/27/04 02:18 PM Re: Royal Wedding's Boligrafo Waterman-BIC
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
Eddie: I'm interested in who this "locutor mexicano" was that gave the wrong information. If it was a woman, then it was Maria Antonieta Collins, who would then be a "locutora mexicana."

If it was a male, then it was Iñaki Berrueta, who, if the name doesn't give it away, is actually Spanish.

If you did make a gender error and it was Maria Antonieta, perhaps you also made a Spanish comprehension error regarding her statements, too. Just because she's not Spanish, doesn't make her ignorant to Spain's cultural sensitivities.

And I think someone else mentioned it, but Galicia has significant Celtic roots and history, even starting with the name, which translates into "Land of the Gaelic People." So I wouldn't call someone an idiot for making a connection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2051 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments