Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#64423 - 05/09/04 10:46 PM Re: Interesting news report re: Madrid bombings
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
At this point it's an investigation and nothing more. In essence, we don't really know what the FBI does and does not have as evidence. We probably won't know, unless he's charged with a specific crime, and even then, we may never be told exactly what evidence there is, and it might not come up except if he's extradited to Spain to stand trial.

As far as the points of identification related to the fingerprint, there's also the possibility of DNA that can be conserved from the handling of materials, and nobody has said a word about that. There may also be two places where there are fingerprints and combined they could exceed the 21 points, but we don't know if that's a fact either.

Since we believe everyone is innocent until there's reasonable belief they have committed a crime, I'll withhold my judgement on this matter, and even then, allow the courts to make the decision, since that's where the issue will be decided.

Wolf

#64424 - 05/09/04 11:41 PM Re: Interesting news report re: Madrid bombings
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Well Vicki you sure set me straight.

Ok everyone, no more speculating. But if you do decide to speculate, be sure to run it by Vicki for an ok.

Why do you think I ended my post with
Quote:
Thanks for enduring my speculation...
??

"A few known items?" Ok, *two*:
1. he is a convert to islam
2. he has a connection to another suspected militant muslim, albeit, via child custody battle

Why do you say this guy wouldn't blend in in Spain?

The FBI issued two search warrants to further investigate him. Warrants are neither issued nor requested without probable cause of *some* type.

Sorry to spill beer in your wheaties, Vicki, but you're not in control of how others want to speculate. Deeply sorry to have offended you.

#64425 - 05/10/04 08:58 AM Re: Interesting news report re: Madrid bombings
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
So he is american and he might be found guilty of the 11-M bombings... and?

I don't care which nationality he has. If he is guilty he should be jailed.

The fact of being american doesn't mean USA has anything to do with Madrid bombings. In fact, Mohamed Atta, the main leader of the 9-11 attacks organized the operations from Spain frown

Islamic terrorism is very international, and Al-Qaeda cells are composed of people of many nationalities frown

Fernando

#64426 - 05/10/04 11:55 AM Re: Interesting news report re: Madrid bombings
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Fernando,

Apparently the Spanish government is waiting on the preliminary investigation by the FBI to determine whether or not he should be extradited to Spain. If there is reason to believe he has been involved in any way or form with those bombings, that will more than likely take place almost immediately, unless he fights extradition.

I think he might fight extradition hoping for a chance of being freed here, but if it reaches a point where its requested, I doubt he'd win. It would show there's certainly evidence to indicate he's been involved.

Rest assured, the US would not find any excuses to keep him here instead of handing him over to Spanish authorities. The only catch would be in the courts, and that would just be a losing cause on his part.

Wolf

#64427 - 05/13/04 01:11 AM Re: Interesting news report re: Madrid bombings
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Megia-
Sorry if I sounded harsh, that was not my intent.

You were speculating. I was pointing out what I see as flaws in the speculation, not trying to control it.

Regarding your other comment on conversion:
Quote:
"A few known items?" Ok, *two*:
1. he is a convert to islam
Since when does the fact that someone converted to Islam 15 to 20 years ago make them a militant? Not all muslims are militants. I thought we had freedom of religion in this country. Notably, the guy has been described as not overly religious, and a "liberal" muslim (meaning opposite end of the spectrum from religious fanatic).

Regarding why I don't think the guy would blend in in Spain. Well, I was thinking of the fact that he has red hair (I know there are Spanish redheads, but I just think redheads are always noticeable), and to my knowlege does not speak Spanish. But you have me there, according to news reports he is so unremarkable that even some of the other tenants in his office building do not particularly remember him. Maybe he dyed his hair, got a fake passport, went to Spain, and planted a bomb when there are vulnerable targets sitting practically in his back yard. Stranger things have happened.

Regarding warrants, I am not aware of reports for more warrants being issued, so I can't speak to that one.

Well, all this speculation could go on and on in endless circles and I am getting dizzy (not to mention sleepy, since it is past my bedtime). To paraphrase Wolf, we may never know what evidence the FBI does or does not have.

In the end, neither you nor I have any control over the situation, so I am going to give it a rest for now.

#64428 - 05/21/04 12:26 AM Re: Interesting news report re: Madrid bombings
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
More recent developments in this case. The Portland guy has been released after two weeks in detention without charges. Turns out those fingerprints that were a partial match to the Portland guy belong to an Algerian.

Link to news article here: Article

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments