Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#64379 - 04/16/04 11:58 AM Es posible? $$$
funes Offline

Loc: chicago
I have a preliminary economy type budget that I would welcome feedback on. Please note that I am traveling in September, alone, and that this does not including travel between cities...

1 Barcelona 75 E/day

30 lodging (hosteria Grau)
2 breakfast
5 lunch/snack
10 dinner
10 public transport/admission fees
15 entertainment/drinks, etc...

2 Madrid 75 E/day

3 Salmanca/Zamora/Leon/S de Compostela @ 60E/day

4 Madrid/Toledo/Segovia @150E/day (for two of us)

So, what do you think? Any input appreciated-

#64380 - 04/16/04 03:54 PM Re: Es posible? $$$
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Once you get out of Barcelona, you'll find that your expenses will be considerably less than planned.

Madrid is relatively inexpensive. You can get a good meal for 7-8 €/day.

I have to admit, though, that I only eat breakfast (big whoop! some coffee and bread) and dinner. I do go out tapa hopping though.

You'll make it.

Sheryl

#64381 - 04/16/04 03:57 PM Re: Es posible? $$$
Torero Offline

Loc: Iowa
I would probably budget more for admissions and public transportation within the cities. Getting into Sagrada Familia is pretty pricey, if I remember right (I think it was in the 6-8 euro range). Don't forget to allow some money for things you want to bring home with you as well. Have a great trip!

#64382 - 04/17/04 04:33 PM Re: Es posible? $$$
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I budgeted $100/day (yes I meant dollars- about 80E/day), exclusive of travel between cities, which turned out to be about right for my trip in January. The exchange rate was slightly worse then. I balanced some splurges on meals (e.g. cuchinillo in Segovia), with generally tapa-hopping for dinner. I did eat approximately three meals a day, plus some snacks (even the bargain food in Spain is quite tasty laugh ). While I was adjusting to the time change, and Spanish eating schedule I did a lot of small grazing. I also included some budget for gifts for family.

I also found admission to some of the more popular destinations (e.g. Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera) was in the 6-8 euro range. However, if you are planning to see several related sights, don't forget about the combo tickets. For example there is a Modernist Route (Ruta de Modernismo) combo ticket. You buy the ticket and a map, then you get discounts to the major modernism sights. It does end up less expensive if you go to enough of them. Of course, if you only want to see a couple of them, it may not be a bargain. There are other smaller combo tickets, too, but I don't remember the details.

Given that, as Sheryl said, you will probably spend less on food, but that you will probably spend more on admissions, your budget is probably pretty close to on the mark.

Have a great time!

#64383 - 04/17/04 06:17 PM Re: Es posible? $$$
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
You can also save money by eating your main meal between 2-4 and something lighter later in the evening. This is especially true if you chose the menu of the day special! We found great bargains at the earlier time and were seldom hungry for another big meal later.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments