MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#64257 - 03/21/04 08:57 AM Re: An apology to Spaniards
Cristobo Carrín Offline

Loc: Asturias
Almohada
Just for the record, there was a Saudi millonaire who sent a very generous donation (and I mean it, millions of dollars) when 9-11 to help the city of New York in those hard moments. Giuliani rejected harshly the money.
We all cried with you in those days, don`t be unfair. I don`t know anyone who ever says "they deserve it" or anything like that when an American GI dies in Irak.
As to the thread, I think the Spanish-bashing in these days simply reflects the internal politics of the US, rather than their opinion on Spaniars. Let`s face it, the average American knows little of Spain or Spanish politics, mainly because Spain is only one more country, and not an important one. There is nothing wrong on that. When an American says Spaniards are a bunch of cowards, I think he really means "Democrats are a bunch of cowards, vote for Bush"
On the other hand, leftists in America have been pouring the most flattering comments on Spain these days. See for example
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=33&ItemID=5163
You know what? Spain has been bashed for centuries, since Erasmus of Rotterdam first said "Hispania non placet" in the XVI century. The most common grounds for comtempt were that Spaniards are lazy, stupid, violent, cruel and not trustworthy.
But as far as I know, never to this day, no one ever accused the Spanish people of cowardice. That is why, apparently, no one feels too offended around here: we all know it is sheer BS.

#64258 - 03/22/04 04:10 AM Re: An apology to Spaniards
Spaniard Offline

Loc: Valencia
There's no need to apologize.

I was busy the past days and couldn't read the "offensive" messages. But, anyway, there is always people who talk -or write, in this case- words that could offend someone. Sometines, I've read thoughtless messages from certain spaniards in this board, maybe I should apologize too...

If you go anywere in the world, as if you read any message board, you will find every kind of persons. Many of them will be friendly or at least reasonable, and some of them will perhaps be unpleasant, egoistical, small-minded or even agressive.

You know, you can enjoy a visit to the jungle, but there will be annoying mosquitos too. It's better to forget the mosquitos and admire the landscape. I think that no one felt really offended.

Ignorance and immature speech always find a way to emerge, as an unwanted guest in a party. That's no reason to stop the party.

This is a nice board with nice people writing on it, why should I leave it?

In addition, I need to practice my english, man! I hope that, in 20 or 30 years, it will become good enough to save you all feeling ashamed for my persistent crimes against the Shakespeare's language.

Un abrazo.

#64259 - 03/22/04 04:26 PM Re: An apology to Spaniards
Grulla Offline

Loc: San Francisco area
According to most of the media I have seen here
most of the Spanish people were against involvement in Iraq in the first place.

#64260 - 03/22/04 09:01 PM Re: An apology to Spaniards
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You're right, Grulla. Common numbers are between 80-90% of Spain's population which were against the war in Irag from the very beginning. And so when their leader sent their troops to a war they didn't support they decided to get even in the voting booth. Buh-bye. wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments