Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#64247 - 03/17/04 07:26 PM Re: An apology to Spaniards
mariacristi Offline

Loc: melbourne
When I was reading all those threads about "spain bashing" and other similar post with political discussions involved I was wondering,'where is Ignacio'. I find it strange that he's not joining in and was about to e-mail you Madridman to ask if you stripped him off his membership 'coz I was curious. Lo & behold, he appears in another name!
I find it funny that he really cannot help it. But I'm glad Ignacio that you are alive & kicking. At first I thought you could be one of the victims.
wink

#64248 - 03/17/04 07:40 PM Re: An apology to Spaniards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Muacs! This is a kiss for u, Maricristi. Feel free to take it or not, and put it on your hand or cheek. wink

#64249 - 03/17/04 07:45 PM Re: An apology to Spaniards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there! I'm here!! Ignacio!!!!

Actually it's not. It's me, MadridMan. I'm testing Ignacio's account and it does work but didn't at first. It said the password was not correct. I honestly don't know why. So I did the following: "Rebuild Member State Files" and now it works as before. Anyway, it's true, I did respectfully ask Ignacio to find other places to spend his time so that we could return to some normalcy. There were also a number of Spaniards who did NOT attend the last Party With MadridMan in Madrid last April because they were concerned Ignacio would be there and there would be a serious political confrontation. We don't need that kind of confrontation here on the message board, not when other users feel threatened.

So there you go, Ignacio. I'm removing your newly opened user account of CENSORED.

Saludos, MadridMan

#64250 - 03/17/04 07:47 PM Re: An apology to Spaniards
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Okay. I'm back as MadridMan. Let's try to stay on topic here. Thank you. smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#64251 - 03/17/04 07:49 PM Re: An apology to Spaniards
mariacristi Offline

Loc: melbourne
I took it by my hand. Your political views are not that bad & disrespectful(compared to some new comers) and i find some of them amusing & interesting though I don't necessarily agree with them sometimes.

#64252 - 03/17/04 09:24 PM Re: An apology to Spaniards
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
As an American, I believe the press has adversely influenced us all our perspective on the events in Spain. I believe the controversy on who won and who lost is nurtured by the press to sell their product. Besides the lost of life and human suffering, the initial effects of the bombings are the lost of security and safety people usually feel. This can lead to anger, frustration, helplessness, fear, and a desire for revenge. It is the responsibility of the Spanish people to elect their leaders; their anger was directed at their leaders. They removed them from authority. The commentary by the press leads you to conclude rather than allowing us to consider the implications of the events. To conclude the bombings were the only reason the Spanish people removed theirs leaders is too sensationalist. I am concerned too many Americans let the press think for them rather than think for themselves. I too apologize to our Spanish friends.

#64253 - 03/18/04 12:29 AM Re: An apology to Spaniards
Jennita Offline

Loc: Denver
I agree that many Americans let the press think for themselves. I have also talked to many friends who barely even know what happened in Spain. "Oh a few people got killed, what was that about" WHAT??!! Some people I have tried to talk to about Spain barely know what happened! Yes, they've heard that there was a bombing, but that's about it. It's sad really.

I applaud the Spaniards for using their vote and to demonstrate what a true Democracy is all about. I hope that Americans will open their eyes and realize that what is going on in the world does affect us here at home.

And before anyone jumps down my throat for being unpatroitic, ask around. Do your friends/acquantinces know what happened in Spain? Do they care? Do they think it will have any affect on the U.S.? I'm just curious.

#64254 - 03/18/04 12:27 PM Re: An apology to Spaniards
Xylac Offline

Loc: Wash. DC
Jennita writes:
'I applaud the Spaniards for using their vote and to demonstrate what a true Democracy is all about. I hope that Americans will open their eyes and realize that what is going on in the world does affect us here at home.'

democracy
noun
(plural: -cies)
</font></li>
[*] government by the people or their elected representatives

[*] a political or social unit governed ultimately by all its members

[*] the practice or spirit of social equality

[*] a social condition of classlessness and equality

[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> the common people, esp. as a political force
[ETYMOLOGY: 16th Century: from French démocratie, from Late Latin democratia, from Greek demokratia government by the people ; see demo-, -cracy]

A government of the People by the People, and for the People.

I too applaud the Spaniards.

--------------
Code:
  (...) today the political struggle is expressed by choice of what a person eats and drinks, whom he loves, what he does in his spare time, whose company he seaks,
whether he smiles or frowns, what he reads, what pictures he hangs on his walls.
It is here that the battles of the next world war are being decided in advance.
That may sound grotesque, but it is the truth.
p.185
"Defying Hitler" by Sebastian Haffner

#64255 - 03/18/04 09:15 PM Re: An apology to Spaniards
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Jennita,

A few responses...

"...Americans will open their eyes and realize that what is going on in the world does affect us here at home..."

You are right in one sense. Americans SHOULD open their eyes. They should read their history. Study their logic. Learn more about how the world really works. If they do, they will realize that the future does not belong to Europe nor the Middle East. It belongs to Asia and the Americas.

However, none of this has anything to do with Al-Q. If anything, America SHOULD reexamine world dynamics since 9-11 and realize that the much of the elite and "educated" of old Europe enjoys the fanciful theatrics of its political leaders and all of their hot air. We should admit that Europe's leaders have never cared about anything other than the elite of Europe. America should recognize that only she will feel the need to come to the aid of other countries. America should recognize that because she will take on such a burden she will always get more than her fair share of naysayers, apologists and critics. And America should admit once and for all that all the above will NEVER change and that it is best to close the book on Europe lest she lose her vitality.

"And before anyone jumps down my throat for being unpatroitic, ask around. Do your friends/acquantinces know what happened in Spain?"

I do not know anyone who doesn't know...but in all of my travels over the past 20+ years, I have found overseas Americans to be as knowledgable and globally senstitive as any international travelers. Comparing apples with apples, Americans hold their own quite comfortably. Don;t buy into the media garbage. Are their pockets of ignorance? Of course. But I am sure if I quizzed a farmer from each of Extremadura, the Pampas, and Texas, I am sure they will score roughly the same. And if I quizzed investment bankers in London, New York, and Hong Kong, chances are they will score roughly the same. And finally, if I quiz young 14 year old kids from anytown Spain, US, and say, South Africa, yep, they will score roughly the same.

Do they care?

Their reaction was probably, "How horrible! What cowards and what evil." Those that had been to Spain I am sure felt a hurt in their hearts. As per usual, many have donated in some fashion or expressed their grief in some overt way.

My question to you. Do you think people in Kuwait send cards to people likked in Oklahoma City? Sent donations? HOw about to the victims of the Cole Bombing? Did the French set up a fund to help victims of the Bali Bombing? America and Americans bleed for the oppressed, yes, even when another American has caused that bleeding. Yet who bleeds for America? And if such an asymmetry continues for much longer, should America continue to care in anything but the most superficial way as has been the "caring" received by America and Americans?

Do they think it will have any affect on the U.S.?

Tougher question since "it" turned into three or four things within the space of a week. The bombing itself? Yes, that Al-Q won't stop until they are stopped literally. I think those on the fence realize more and more that al-Q will continue to kill until they are wiped out. Yes, killed and their networks rooted out. I think Americans also realize that the Cold War practice of coddling dictators has started to come back and haunt us. Yes, in our efforts in Panama, Agghanistan, Grenada, and Iraq, we have received zero international support. Frankly, I think many Americans think that supporting dictators and continuing to support them makes more sense than it ever did. For this last point, you can thank the cowardice of world leaders.

#64256 - 03/19/04 12:04 AM Re: An apology to Spaniards
Fupanier Offline

Loc: Oregon
Amen smile

Fup

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments