Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#64144 - 02/15/04 05:12 AM Question about a Tour Company
ODUguy1999 Offline

Loc: New Orleans, LA USA
thinking about going to spain on goaheadvacation tour package of 2 weeks through many parts of spain. Has anybody tried it? Is it worthwhile?
Just curious, really want to go and it seems the best way to see alot of this country that I love.

#64145 - 02/15/04 08:44 AM Re: Question about a Tour Company
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello ODUguy1999! Welcome to our little message board. You're probably looking for an escape from the Mardi Gras craze right about now, correct? I see you're in N'awllins. Great place, it is. Spent a long 3-day spring weekend down there a couple years ago. Very enjoyable. Not sure I'd want to really be there around THIS time of year, however. Every year I tune into websites like http://www.MardiGras.com/ for live, streaming webcams, video, and photos of the event in New Orleans. Great fun for the observer. wink

OKAY! Now on with the show.. YOUR SHOW, that is...

Organized tours to Spain are sometimes the ONLY way some people will ever see this beautiful country and that's just fine. There are people who don't speak any Spanish and don't feel comfortable on their own in a foreign country and require the comfort of handing the reigns over to some knowledgeable, responsible party like a tour company. That's fine. NO problem. You'll see many many MANY (MANY!) things from air conditioned bus windows and will have a guide take you here and there.

If you really think this is the only way you'll ever visit Spain then that's fantastic. Really it is. Go for it. But if one can find the courage (and the time to coordinate it) to do it on your own, make your own reservations, learn a few words of Spanish, you'll know that every new day in Spain will NOT be pre-determined on a itinerary printout sent to you weeks in advance. THIS WAY it will be a true adventure because you won't know what will REALLY happen each day and you'll carry with you forever a MUCH more fulfilling and memorable experience.

Again, tours are fine for many many people. Really, they are. smile I can think of several people right now who would not leave their country without it being under the scheduling and safety of a tour company. These people ARE getting out and seeing the world and this is a real point, isn't it.

Do it if it feels right. Have a wonderful time.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#64146 - 02/15/04 12:05 PM Re: Question about a Tour Company
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi ODUguy1999!

While I agree with most of what MM says in the previous post, I do disagree with the line "THIS WAY it will be a true adventure because you won't know what will REALLY happen each day and you'll carry with you forever a MUCH more fulfilling and memorable experience."

I travelled on my own for decades, and it was rewarding. I have recently, however, immersed myself in group tourism and can honestly say it can be, in many respects, even more rewarding. An itinerary that includes a long bus drive with a few hurried stops, commentary from inside the bus, and no chance to really experience a country is lousy. But good companies don't do that any more. I know - not only do I have companies write itineraries for me, I also write them myself.

I looked at goahead's website and I liked what I saw. (I'm assuming you're considering the Journey Through Spain itinerary.) While I'm not familiar with the company, I did find out that they're part of the EF group, which is huge. EF is known to be cheap, and if you're not looking for luxury you will probably be fine. They keep their prices low through sheer volume. I didn't check your hotels, but in general EF will sometimes place groups farther from the sights than other companies. I noticed that you have a number of optional activities and meals. This is where they make money. Even so, I think optionals are great and highly worthwhile. Often the activities and the meals they offer are experiences you would would miss if you were travelling on your own. I doubt very much that a traveller on his/her own would sign up for a flamenco lesson, for example - especially on a short visit. The activities often teach you more than you would learn just by wandering or reading, and they always involve locals, so you will be in contact with the people - often people who have a lot of offer.

The other good thing about optionals is that they are just that - optional. So you can take off and do your own thing if you want. The Journey Through Spain itinerary has lots of free time worked into it as well, so you can just explore on your own, or, if you want pointers, you can ask your tour director for advice about what to do during free time. Tour directors are amazing people. They have connections everywhere and really know their stuff. Take advantage! You will also get the best local guides when you visit special sights. That's hard to get on your own! They are also wonderful about answering questions, be it about the actual sight or the people, culture, or best restaurant recommendation! And remember - they're locals who want to know you and help you. I think that's invaluable! So a tour like this is much, much more than a safe, easy way to see a country.

Hope that helps a bit!
Buen viaje -
Diana

#64147 - 02/15/04 05:51 PM Re: Question about a Tour Company
mecky Offline

Loc: US
Dear Oduguy
I've traveled with EF Tours a sistercompany of GoAhead and I can only tell of good things with Ef. My first trip was to Mexico with a mix of adults and students. We had so much fun mixing with others in the group it was great, then my life changed, I traveld with EF to the romantic route in Spain and this was a mix again of local students and adults. This made it possible of seeing places in Spain that even many locals did not bother to visit and participate with. And most of all I've made friends for a lifetime. One of the teachers from Idaho has become one of my best friends. There are so many stories I could tell you. Then the following year I've became the tourdirector myself traveling to Europe twice with a group. I have been asked to be a groupleader for GoAhead but my time is just so limited and as I will be walking the Camino this year there is simply no time to do this. GoAhead is a little more tailored for the Adult traveler and EF is mor student-budget designed. I would not hesitate to take a group of Adults under my care and most of all my reputation, as I am well known in this are where I live and work. I cannot guarentee that all will be great but my past experiences where great. If you look hard enough you will find things to complain but if you are openminded and dont get sidetracked on the differences between here and there you should have a great time. See many things and maybe even be lucky to make friends for a life time. If you have any questions about any of the tours that I did with EF I will be happy to correspond with you. GoAhead and take a leap of faith. Would love to you on this myself but the camino is calling me.

#64148 - 02/17/04 11:26 PM Re: Question about a Tour Company
ODUguy1999 Offline

Loc: New Orleans, LA USA
Thank You all for the great replies. Ive been wanting to go to Spain since i was in High school. I looked into the touring package a bit more and I think that it might be the way to go so that I can see alot of this country that I am so fond of. I know that i will definately go back to spain and do an individual type excursion so that i can focus on the places i want to be at the times i want to do so. I really love madrid, it is beautiful in the pictures i see and so rich in museums and life. I planned my trip for may 13-27th and i will be in madrid during the fiesta of san isidoro, whats that like? I think the tour will just wet my desire to come back and search every part of spain individually. While I am in Madrid i have a day off to go out and i was wondering if u had a choice would u go to Segovia,Toledo or to the Escorial? I wish i could do all 3, they are all amazing, leaning to segovia a bit just because i am enamored by that castle and city in the background, just spectacular. Also i know i have to see the Prado and palace, is the museo nacional worth going to? i heard it has a pretty nice collection. Im excited. Its funny living in New Orleans is what we americans call historic, but its nothing compared to going to Spain and going to someones house that is older then my whole country. Thanks for the advice, it was top notch and very sincere.
ciao
fred

#64149 - 02/18/04 03:05 PM Re: Question about a Tour Company
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I say Segovia...having been to all three. Toledo is a very close second. You really can't go wrong in either place, but I vote for Segovia...I lived there for two months, though, so I could be a little biased... wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments