Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#64030 - 12/10/03 04:00 PM Madrid: Electric Heating
Madera Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello, I just moved to Madrid. I´m in the process of finding an apartment. Problem is that my contract here is noly for eight months. I found a place across the street from El Prado. Small 1 BR. 700 Euros. But heating is electric. I work at home at nights and on weekends and am worried about running up HUGE electric bills.

Thoughts on electric versus radiator heat in MAdrid and whether the cost difference will be something I should really consider.

Thanks!!

#64031 - 12/11/03 07:29 AM Re: Madrid: Electric Heating
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Electric Heating=Huge bill.
I Agree.
You should consider finding a better option.

#64032 - 12/11/03 08:19 AM Re: Madrid: Electric Heating
Anonymous
Unregistered

True. AND many times means also BE COLD. many times, only very close to the radiator you feel warm, in spite of the big bill. Electric heating is the worst.

Plus the cost of the rent maybe acceptable for Paseo del Prado, but it is about at least a 50% over the prices you get in middle class areas, where you can get my favourite: Central Heating (always warm and cheap) or you can get individual gas heating.

#64033 - 12/11/03 08:24 AM Re: Madrid: Electric Heating
Miguelito Offline

I know there are some possibilities to minimize the electric bill as a night fare, and acumulators for heating but I don't know how expensive it'll be. If you decide for the night fares, you can also use the washing machine and other machines during the night with a lower price. I don't know how easy to subscribe are they. Also, if you'll be working, you'll probably will have to heat only one room, and winter is not so long in Madrid if your flat is well isolated (probably it won't be if it has no heating). Well, just adding more dudes for you I guess confused
The cheapest is central heating, but they usually switch off during the night so you would need a gas individual heating.

#64034 - 01/14/04 10:23 AM Re: Madrid: Electric Heating
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
Check with your local gas companies that sell butane household gas, some of them also sell appliances that work off of their butane gas bottles - in particular, they have a butane gas fired space heater that is very effective, and economical to use I am told (I am buying one for my place which typically has no heating system). They are of modern design and of high efficiency and so do not require special venting, although you would do well to have some ventilation in the living space like a slighty opened window to allow any exhaust and any unpyrolized gases to find their way out just in case.
You will of course have to develope a routine to change the butane bottles - either with a local merchant or with the truck full of orange butane bottles - but it is way cheaper and more effective than electric "heating".

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2941 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments