Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63914 - 10/26/03 10:03 PM I am moving to Madrid....Need Info
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I have been offered orders to Madrid(Military). I have been to southern Spain several times and even Northern Spain(La Caruna) but have never ventured to Madrid. I always loved Spain and the people and jumped at the opportunity to take these orders. I would like to know if anyone knows any information about the American School in Madrid? I have 2 children that would go there. What is the average rental price of a 3 bedroom home(Apartment) in Madrid? and what would utilities run monthly. This will be me and my families first venture living outside of the US but we are excited and looking forward to the experience.

#63915 - 10/27/03 06:43 AM Re: I am moving to Madrid....Need Info
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
That's la Coruña (i.e., not La Caruna). Sorry I can't help with the cost of rentals or the American School. We sent our daughter to a school in Colonia del Viso where children were primarily from British Embassy people; but that was years ago. If your assignment is to the NATO Detachment, I believe that is in Torrejon de Ardoz (northeast of Madrid); so you might want to concentrate your search for a place to live in Madrid's northeast suburbs. Don't you have a (Military) Sponsor who is supposed to help you with these things?

#63916 - 10/27/03 04:01 PM Re: I am moving to Madrid....Need Info
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Here is the American School's web site:

American School of Madrid

It is out in the western/northwestern suburbs near Aravaca, I believe. Not heard great things about it, nor particularly bad things.

If, in fact, you'll be in Torrejon, that commute would be impossible for your kids.

#63917 - 10/27/03 08:40 PM Re: I am moving to Madrid....Need Info
MedicalMan Offline

Yes, it would be to the NATO detachment but it is located in Pozuelo de Alarcon which is in the western part of Madrid. I have not accepted orders yet and am still researching all the different aspects of the assignment so I have not gotten a sponsor yet. I would like to take this leap a bit educated about what I am about to jump into. I am a non spanish speaker but my kids are young and I think it would be a great opportunity for them to learn spanish while they are young and in the country(as well as myself and my wife). Thanks for the replies.

#63918 - 11/02/03 07:30 PM Re: I am moving to Madrid....Need Info
Nativo Offline

My ex-boss is american and their kids were attending that american school, and they were happy about both the studies and the environment.

It seems like you are better off living in the west side. There are several possibilities: Pozuelo, Boadilla,....To give an idea they are the Madrid equivalent to an american upper-middle class suburb, houses with gardens instead of flats,....you will be near the school and your work, sorrounded by shopping malls,.....but still at 20 minutes by car from city center (1hour during rush time).

Prices....Not exactly cheap but you can take a look at www.segundamano.es look for pozuelo, boadilla or areas sorrounding the A-6 higway

#63919 - 11/02/03 08:44 PM Re: I am moving to Madrid....Need Info
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi MedicalMan,

I taught at the American School of Madrid (ASM) for 13 years, and my children started their education there - from prekindergarten through 2nd grade. (We moved back to the US after that.)If there had been a way to stay and keep my children at ASM I would have done it. I now live in an area with plenty of good private schools (I teach in one and my kids are there), but I haven't come across one yet that has what ASM has to offer. I know the school very, very well and can honestly recommend it highly. It is one of the best American schools in Europe.

It is quite expensive - I don't know how much help you'll get with paying tuition. It also has a strong international feel. The two largest groups of students are Americans and Spanish, but there are many other nationalities as well, and so English truly is the language they all have in common. Some other schools in Madrid teach in English but have very high percentages of Spanish students, so they tend to speak Spanish as often as possible amongst themselves. This doesn't happen at ASM. At the same time, all students in the lower school (elementary grades) are required to take a daily Spanish class, so they all are exposed to the language and practise it.

ASM teaches an American curriculum, and has American teachers and textbooks, and so changing schools between the US and ASM is smooth. The upper school offers the International Baccalaureate program.

As for living on the west side of the city, we did for 8 years - 5 in Majadahonda, and 3 in Villafranca del Castillo. We loved it. I'm particularly fond of Villafranca - after checking out all the towns to the west, I'm convinced it's the nicest place to live. It's about 26 kilometers from the city, putting it a bit far, but the school has buses to pick up and drop off the kids. It would take me about 20 minutes to drive to Pozuelo from Villafranca, but I've heard the traffic has been getting steadily worse and during peak hours in the morning it can take longer now. Majadahonda is basically next to Pozuelo - conveniently located. All these areas are expensive to live in, but the farther you go from the city, the cheaper it gets.

I hope that helps a bit!
Good luck!
Diana

#63920 - 11/02/03 10:01 PM Re: I am moving to Madrid....Need Info
el viajero Offline

Another plus for that area: Majadahona, Pozuelo, and the surrounding communities are well served by a regional rail line (one of the Cercanías routes), giving you easy access to central Madrid without having to battle traffic.

#63921 - 11/03/03 05:12 AM Re: I am moving to Madrid....Need Info
Chica Offline
Executive Member

The green interurbano buses also have regularly scheduled routes through those towns and take you to the intercambiador de transportes (transportation interchange hub) in Moncloa.

Diana, I had not heard of Villafranco...will have to check it out. Pozuelo and Majadahonda are expensive places to live with flats costing upwards of 300,000€....just imagine what the individual homes cost!

#63922 - 11/04/03 04:29 PM Re: I am moving to Madrid....Need Info
MedicalMan Offline

Thank You all very much for all the great information. Madrid is looking better and better to me and my wife. Diane....Thanks for the INFO on the American School, my wife re-read your post several times. I tried to look up the Real Estate web site that Nativo left but we are non-Spanish speakers and the web site is in Spanish(we'll learn!). I have one last question if anyone can answer it. Would I be able to rent a nice house on the West Side for $1,800-2,500 a month? Again, thanks to everyone!

#63923 - 11/05/03 05:12 PM Re: I am moving to Madrid....Need Info
Nativo Offline

Let me help you with the site.
1.- www.segundamano.es
2.- Under SECCIONES click on INMOBILIARIA (real state)
3.- Click on CHALETS (Houses)
4.- Click on ALQUILER CHALETS (House rentals)
5.- Select Provincia =MADRID on the list
6.- Select Zona = Nacional VI Madrid Noroeste
7.- BUSCAR
Precio = Monthly price in €

Now you get a list of rentals for the area near your selected area, I think that the price range you selected should allow you to find a nice place to live.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1787 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments