Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#63487 - 05/25/03 04:19 PM people, please help nasti out with her phone in madrid issue! she needs answers!
nasti Offline

people, nasti needs answers concerning her phone situation in madrid! help her! frown

calling around madrid is so expensive! calling home to the states is cheaper than making calls to mobiles around madrid and spain. i donīt have a phone in my house(i donīt want to shell out 200 euros to telefonica at the moment and auna isnīt available at my address)and can only make calls from my mobile and phone booths. since i donīt have a contract plan with vodafone, i just recharge my mobile 10 or 15 euros every so often. doing that, i could easily spend 200 euros a month, but i canīt afford that right now. i spend about 25 euros a week and pretty much just messages.

and my social is suffering! oh my f#€king god! i am such a flake flake calling people and if i canīt improve my phone situation, iīm seriously thinking about not coming back this fall.

#63488 - 05/25/03 05:15 PM Re: people, please help nasti out with her phone in madrid issue! she needs answers!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
using mobile phones here in Spain is very expensive, Nasti, as you have discovered. To help keep my mobile phone use in check, I always carry a telefonica card with me to use at the payphones, as well as a EUROCITY card to call to the states.

Text messaging is definitely cheaper than phone calls, but sometimes, if it takes two or three msgs to communicate what you could have communicated in a 1-2 min conversation, it would have been cheaper to make the call. When text msging make sure that your messages are to the point and you donīt have to exchange 3 or 4 of them to get the point across.

Social life is suffering? What about email? Could you communicate the same messages via email as you would text messages (meaning, is their instantaneous response so necessary?). All of these things are things that I have struggled with as I adapted to the horrendous phone charges here.

One final note, Vodafone is one of the most expensive carriers to call... particularly if your friends have telefonica/movistar.

Failure to get a grip on your mobile phone usage would be the most lame excuse for not coming back in the fall!!!!

#63489 - 05/26/03 07:42 PM Re: people, please help nasti out with her phone in madrid issue! she needs answers!
gatawannabe Offline

Loc: Madrid, but from Los Angeles
phone cards, phone cards, phone cards. These save me a fortune calling to California. There are plenty of cheap and good ones. As mentioned above, EUROCITY is a good one. I used to call my family on my cell and tell them to call me back, making my call less than 1 min, but with a phone card I can actually call my friends for super cheap!

#63490 - 05/27/03 03:47 PM Re: people, please help nasti out with her phone in madrid issue! she needs answers!
nasti Offline

people, i need help with my phone situation with LOCAL CALLS in madrid. yes, i do use phone cards to call the united states and sometimes just call my parents for 10 seconds on my mobile and just have them call me back, but itīs my LOCAL CALLS that iīm asking about. itīs cheaper with those phone cards to call the united states than it is on my cell phone calling across town.

THE ISSUE HERE IS LOCAL CALLS IN MADRID. PLEASE HELP ME PEOPLE.

is telefonica having any deals lately?

#63491 - 05/27/03 04:39 PM Re: people, please help nasti out with her phone in madrid issue! she needs answers!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

rolleyes rolleyes

#63492 - 05/27/03 07:30 PM Re: people, please help nasti out with her phone in madrid issue! she needs answers!
nasti Offline

hey, if i desired some catty talk, iīd go to some other message board about the strokes or whatever other band, or even go to groupiecentral.com or one of the other where catty boys and girls tend to congregate, but i expected better of this site.

cīmon, toss me some spanish in the subjunctive now. that will just make me smile and gurgle so hard.

if you donīt have much constructive stuffinsīto say, please can it.

#63493 - 05/27/03 09:51 PM Re: people, please help nasti out with her phone in madrid issue! she needs answers!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Looks like somebody just opened up a can of nasti-@$$. hehehe.. wink

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#63494 - 05/27/03 11:28 PM Re: people, please help nasti out with her phone in madrid issue! she needs answers!
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Can't we all just get along?!! laugh

From what I've seen and heard, it looks like the Telefonica cards are the way to go. Everyone seems to have the same problems with the calls in Spain, but it's really up to each individual to decide what's best for them. I know we've discussed mobile/pay phones in the past on the board, so you may want to search out there too to see what other info previous posters have given.

Buena suerte!

-GG

#63495 - 05/28/03 01:14 AM Re: people, please help nasti out with her phone in madrid issue! she needs answers!
Melinda328 Offline

Even though from the beginning your messages have come off as, well, NASTY, I'll help you anyway.

There are a ton of websites where you can send free messages to other cell phones in Spain. Do an internet search and find one. I always send text messages to my friends in Spain and I'm sitting here in NY. Or just don't call people... meet them in person like everyone else in Spain does.

Melinda

#63496 - 05/28/03 03:00 AM Re: people, please help nasti out with her phone in madrid issue! she needs answers!
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Basically, using a mobile phone in Spain without a contract can get pricey. Itīs that simple. I learned a lot by looking at what the young people here do to save money. Text messages, text messages, text messages! They can be a pain to write but they are really cheap. There is also an option on some phones to, instead of send a regular message, "chat" even though you get charged for each message you send, it is cheaper than just one normal message (you also canīt write as much, but still a good amount). Also if you just need to tell someone that youīre downstairs waiting for them or some simple thing like that, donīt call them, give them a missed call,a "llamada perdida". Just let it ring once and hang up, you donīt get charged unless the other end picks up the phone. Due to the prices of mobile calls, people on a budget in Spain donīt usually spend that much time on their mobiles just "chatting". I guess if you were calling local non-mobile numbers in madrid, a phone card and a telephone booth would be your best bet. Just to make sure, you know that calling a mobile phone number is more expensive than calling a regular number?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1764 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments