Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#63448 - 05/21/03 09:40 AM Madrid: money exchange
senorg Offline

Loc: Preston, Idaho
Can someone tell me the best place to change dollars into euros and the best way? Last year I went and used american express offices and local banks but the commission I had to pay changed at each place. Is it better to take cash and exchange it or better to take travellers checks and cash them? Any information will be helpful. Muchas Gracias.

SenorG

#63449 - 05/21/03 10:00 AM Re: Madrid: money exchange
el viajero Offline

I haven't researched this, but common wisdom seems to be that you get the best rates by using your ATM card in cash machines. Just remember that you don't want to make a lot of small withdrawals, because you're bound to be hit with a service charge for each transaction.

#63450 - 05/21/03 12:19 PM Re: Madrid: money exchange
senorg Offline

Loc: Preston, Idaho
Do you know if you can use american atm cards in the spanish machines? I have a us bank atm card, I just wonder if it will work in the atms in madrid.

SenorG

#63451 - 05/21/03 12:53 PM Re: Madrid: money exchange
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi SenorG!

I use my bank's ATM/check card in most all of Spain's ATMS, including those in Madrid. Just be sure yours as the CIRRUS and/or PLUS symbol on the bank and you'll be fine. Most all ATMs in Spain, except for some in smaller towns, will give you an ENGLISH language menu option too. Always use well lighted ATMs at night too and take a good look around before putting your card in the slot.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#63452 - 05/21/03 02:39 PM Re: Madrid: money exchange
el viajero Offline

I've never had any trouble getting my card to work overseas. However, since I made a large withdrawal my first day here in Madrid (for my apartment deposit), my bank back in the states locked my card until they were able to reach someone at my home phone number and confirm that I was, in fact, in Spain. If you live alone (or if your family or roomies tend not to answer the phone), you might want to warn your bank in advance.

However, just in case you DO have trouble with your card, it's a good idea to also bring a Visa or MasterCard, and change a couple days' worth of money in your home country before heading to Spain. Note that Discover/Novus cards won't work in Spain.

#63453 - 05/21/03 02:55 PM Re: Madrid: money exchange
jlramos Offline

Loc: New York NY EEUU
Hola! I thought you needed to have a 4 digits PIN number in Europe? I would call your bank to make sure.

#63454 - 05/21/03 07:27 PM Re: Madrid: money exchange
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Everywhere I have traveled in Europe I needed a 4 digit PIN number....no letters appear on the keypad! If your card doesn't work at one machine, just try another one! Be careful, though, not to use an ATM machine not attached to a bank! Some of the stand alone units in convenient stores have been implicated in scams.

#63455 - 05/21/03 09:59 PM Re: Madrid: money exchange
Snoo Offline

Loc: Mississippi
Lamaestra, I know this might sound a little "goofy", but I have never used my ATM card out of the USA. Here you can (if you choose)receive a paper receipt that shows the current balance after the withdrawal. Are you offered the opportunity to get this receipt in Spain?
Snoo

#63456 - 05/21/03 10:29 PM Re: Madrid: money exchange
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
As I recall, yes. It seems to me that I got receipts automatically at the end of the transaction, though I don't remember if it happened all the time or not.
Remember though, your balance may not appear in dollars! I just kept really good records so that I wouldn't overspend.

#63457 - 05/21/03 10:34 PM Re: Madrid: money exchange
Snoo Offline

Loc: Mississippi
Thanks! And just one more ? My bank suggested that I take two ATM cards and keep them in different places... just in case I would lose one or have it stolen. I have traveled in foreign countries before and always use an "under the clothing" hide-away for money, cards, etc. Do you think it is a good idea to take a 2nd card?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments