Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63429 - 05/09/03 12:43 PM Madrid's Easy Everything internet cafe unsafe??
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
In recent post on this board (sorry, don't remember exactly which thread it appeared in), somebody talked about the Easy Everything internet cafe in Madrid being unsafe. I used this cafe nearly every day for three weeks last summer and never had any trouble. Granted, I was usually there in the morning, worked on terminals close to the front of the store, and didn't put my bag on the floor..but I'm still wondering what folks think confused

If it's not safe, what might be some good alternatives?

thanks!

#63430 - 05/09/03 02:59 PM Re: Madrid's Easy Everything internet cafe unsafe??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
While I don't recall exactly either, maybe someone had their purse stolen off the floor or from under their chair. I assure you this has happened in every Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, London, and fill-in-name-here cybercafé in the world at least once. OR, maybe because they felt uncomfortable that this particular EasyInternetCafé is on Calle de la Montera, a well-known and well-worked street in the prostitution trade in Madrid. (remember, prostitution is NOT illegal in Spain)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#63431 - 05/09/03 03:21 PM Re: Madrid's Easy Everything internet cafe unsafe??
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Yeah, I knew about the prostitution there, though it never really bothered me and it never seemed that obvious to me on that end of the street. And granted, Calle Montera is not exactly Madrid's most picturesque spot (!), but I really enjoyed the convenience and high-speed connections of the cafe.

#63432 - 05/09/03 08:48 PM Re: Madrid's Easy Everything internet cafe unsafe??
Espe3 Offline

If you're looking for more internet cafes in Madrid they're EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!! near the puerta del sol more in the tribunal area, you've got an internet cafe in the Mercado fuencarral, (c/fuencarral) its down stairs, the Cafe Comercial also sports an internet cafe upstairs, the Calle Luchana, going up the street towards the Plaza Chamberi, there also another rather large internet cafe, they're EVERYWHERE,the chain Cafe del Carmen has internet- just go towards the back of the cafes... also in the puerta del sol, there is another one... the list goes on, and on, and on...

#63433 - 05/09/03 11:16 PM Re: Madrid's Easy Everything internet cafe unsafe??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
There's also a BBIGG internet café called BBIGG on Calle de Alcalá, not far from Puerta del Sol. (@ http://internet.bbigg.com/contenido/salas.php?Node=1 is this location's individual page in English[/url]) They put a Starbucks on one end since I was there last year. I only have one problem with the BBIGG internet café: IT'S HOT! It was HOT this year and it was HOT last year. I mean sweaty hot too. Whew! Keep your bags between your legs or, better yet, wrap one of the bag straps around on (or two) of the legs of your chair.

The café is big, fast, and about as cheap as EasyInternetCafé on Calle de la Montera. (the prostitutes never bothered me either - it took me years before I even noticed them there - someone had to point them out to me).

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#63434 - 05/11/03 10:47 PM Re: Madrid's Easy Everything internet cafe unsafe??
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Easyeverything is my cafe of choice, mostly due to geography, speed and convenience. I have used it at different times throughout the 24 hour cycle. On several occasions I have noticed groups (4 or 5) of loud young men hanging out downstairs without even the pretense of using the computers (Maybe waiting for friends?). It doesn't seem to be well supervised.

I can see how someone would feel threatened.

#63435 - 05/16/03 01:25 PM Re: Madrid's Easy Everything internet cafe unsafe??
el viajero Offline

It's my cybercafe of choice as well (in fact, it's where I'm writing from now), but it does feel less safe than a year ago. It's fine during the day, but at night it sometimes makes me edgy if there are unruly people making noise in the computer area (which is more annoying than threatening) or standing in the exit (which is both).

#63436 - 05/17/03 06:04 PM Re: Madrid's Easy Everything internet cafe unsafe??
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Personally I HATE EasyEverything. It is crowded, the flatscreen monitors are about six inches from your face and give me a headache. Thieves LOVE the place because there are so many people occupied with their stuff ready to grab. It is a commercial type of place. There are many smaller, more secure and much better internet cafes in Madrid. By patronizing them you support locals, not some huge corporate EasyEverywhere. If you want to shout "I AM AN AMERICAN TOURIST!" then EasyEverything is for YOU! If you want to meet locals, then go somewhere else.

There is a small Internet Cafe in the building caddy-corner from Plaza España(on the northeast side -- the metro entrance is just in front of their entrance), on the fifth or sixth floor, in the very back (take a right as you get off the elevator or from the stairs) run by a man from Ecuador named Diego. There you will be safe, can relax, they have softdrinks, water, discs, FAX, etc. Personally I love the place because, before they moved to this location they were just off Puerta del Sol, across from MacDonalds, and I met my (future) wife there! How's THAT for a recommendation!

I know it is easy to go to the tourist joints, but why? This is why MadridMan's website is here, to clue you into the real deal. wink Take a chance and do as the locals do, go where they go, eat what they eat, etc. I remember a woman I met once from L.A. who was upset because Madrid wasn't like L.A., and they didn't speak English! So stay in L.A.! I made my excuses and split. If you get away from the tourist traps you will have the time of your life, guaranteed, and probably make some incredible friends for life. Who knows, maybe, like me, you will realize that you cannot any longer live anywhere else and move here permanently. Just a little warning laugh . I apologize for the lecture, but that is how I see it.

#63437 - 05/18/03 09:34 AM Re: Madrid's Easy Everything internet cafe unsafe??
el viajero Offline

Martin --

The ciber near Plaza de España sounds great.

Do you know if they let customers hook up laptops as well, or if you have to use their machines?

#63438 - 05/18/03 10:08 PM Re: Madrid's Easy Everything internet cafe unsafe??
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I agree that Easyeverything is more of a tourist place.
Something happened while I was there in February. A few of the employees came to the upper area, pointed at a few guys and then they forced them to leave. A security guard even showed up. Not sure what that was about, but it was strange.

There's another internet place up that same street that lets you hook up your laptop if you need that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments