Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#63309 - 02/19/03 02:54 PM Madrid:Problems with site seeing March 4-1
Barry Bartlett Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
We are scheduled to leave Atlanta for Madrid on March 4th to spend a week there and then down to Seville for a week. My question is this... (especially appreciate answeres from anyone currently in Madrid)... with the huge demonstrations that have rocked European cities the last couple of weeks... and based on the conventional wisdom that the Iraq attack will occur about the same time we are leaving... will we be able to properly see Madrid or will we only be getting into a crowd of protesters that will ruin our trip?

Note that it is not the fear of terrorism that may deter us. We were in Russia in August 2001 and went to Hungary and Czech Republic March 2002. Also we were in Turkey, Greece and Israel the when the bombing started in Kosovo ... we have been to 56 countries in our travels and have been to Barcelona 4 times... we just don't want to have a nice trip ruined!

Please advise...

Barry

#63310 - 02/19/03 07:41 PM Re: Madrid:Problems with site seeing March 4-1
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Barry, I guarantee you life here, so far, is going on as normal (except it snowed yesterday and that was pretty unusual laugh cool ), you should only be aware of other possible future demonstrations against the war in case you don't feel like bumping into one just the precise day you choose to visit the Cibeles-Alcalá-Puerta del Sol area.

#63311 - 02/19/03 09:18 PM Re: Madrid:Problems with site seeing March 4-1
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I am off to Madrid tomorrow!!! I hope that the snow has cleared and that all the demonstrations will remain peaceful!! I must say, I am always a bit nervous about flying, but this trip has me a bit more concerned than usual. confused

#63312 - 02/19/03 09:51 PM Re: Madrid:Problems with site seeing March 4-1
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It is my personal opinion but, I think you won't have any problem. The protest of the other day was totally peaceful, and though the public opinion is clearly against the war, I think that the protests will continue to be peaceful (when a huge amount of people in Spain protests even old people and small children and babies go to the protest, it would be stupid if these same people got violent).

Perhaps some people could be nasty with you (if that is the case, ignore them!). I think that the majority (>90%) of the people you will talk with will be nice and respectful (extremists are everywhere worldwide).

It is not a good idea either to publicly state your opinion for the war (if that is the case); though I have done it (not for, but neither totally against) without any problem (people is just somewhat excited with the topic).

Enjoy! And if you have any other question or need help planning the trip just post here smile

Fernando

#63313 - 02/20/03 02:54 AM Re: Madrid:Problems with site seeing March 4-1
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
There were protests all over Europe last weekend and also in the United States I believe. People generally do distinguish between the policies of the US government and the American people and those protesters would have absolutely no problem with you at all. As Fernando stated there is a slight chance you may run into some morons who want to have a go at you but I reckon that's pretty unlikely. I hope you enjoy your trip to Spain

#63314 - 02/20/03 04:59 PM Re: Madrid:Problems with site seeing March 4-1
MAD for Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
I'm an American living in Spain and look it (tall and pale) and life hasn't changed at all. Enjoy your visit.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments