MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#63265 - 02/10/03 02:46 PM Re: student tour postponed
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Taravb: I think that I am living right now the experience you described back in 1990. I am abroad in Granada this semester, and things have been slightly interesting these past couple weeks... The international programs office at he University of Granada is constantly telling us to not speak english, say we are american, or go to places where americans congregate. I am in classes with other spaniards (not other extranjeros), and the prof knows where Im from, and isnt afraid to put me on the spot (one of the classes is an international relations class). I will admit that at times it makes me feel vulnerable. People are also staring to worry about return trips, being sent home, etc. This weekend there are lots of anti war protests in Granada, and we have been advised to stay clear. It is truely a little scary to be, as you said, a 19 year old, alone, abroad with the possibility of war. BUT I LOVE being here in spain, and feel safer here than I think I would at home in Chicago sometimes (although my parents dont agree). rolleyes
Kelly

#63266 - 02/10/03 06:40 PM Re: student tour postponed
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Way back in the glorious 60's there was a student riot at the University of Madrid. It was so dangerous for us there that we were moved out of the University City to a safe house. Americans were just as likely to get injured as other folks. This too happened without warning. Then you add the impact of VietNam and the international reaction to the US's position there...the more things change, the more they stay the same. I empathize with the two of you because I was a 20 year old alone in Spain once too! Oddly, these experiences, while scary, will add somewhat to your total experience abroad and will make you aware of the fact that the actions that the United States Government makes have touch the entire world. Those of us who have had the privilege of discussing politics with citizens of other countries have a responsibility to make the Americans back home who have never had this chance understand that we are not always right and that we have to keep a more global view as members of a shrinking world than we do now. That is part of why I am so eager to take students abroad! We are so isolated here that egocentrism is easy to fall into!
Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now...especially since I'm preaching to the choir! wink

#63267 - 02/11/03 01:18 PM Re: student tour postponed
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I'm one who believes in living your dream, life is short, etc. We were scheduled to depart for Spain on September 13, 2001. Despite the tremendous horror of 9-11, I packed with the intent of leaving as planned. As it turned out, SFO was closed and we could not get a flight until some ten days later as we were traveling on frequent flyer miles.

We once cancelled a trip to Spain in the '80s after a terrorist bombing at Barajas. Because we were taking our two sons, it seemed a wise decision--to avoid trouble at all cost. But as the intended date of departure became closer, we decided to re-schedule. Of course, Barajas was more secure than ever. We had a wonderful trip.

You cannot live in fear of the unknown. Just be wise and cautious. I'm thinking that May will be a perfect time to visit Spain as security is heightened everywhere and many fear traveling abroad. Of course, a major change in world events (such as war) could influence our decision but I doubt it. --CC

#63268 - 02/11/03 03:11 PM Re: student tour postponed
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Quote:
You cannot live in fear of the unknown. Just be wise and cautious.
My thoughts, exactly. Of course from time to time there's a danger or threat large enough to cause one to rethink their plans, but to let fear rule one's life -- in my opinion -- is a far worse fate than managing a little travel risk.

Some friends and I traveled from SFO to Madrid (via New York's JFK) a few months after September 11th. That event, alone, shortened our friends' wedding list. Eight of us said we'd fly even in light of the terror warnings.

We all had an incredible time even though around our trip a man tried to blow up the American Airlines flight from Paris to Miami. To our great pleasure, because of this shoe bomber, all US flagged service from Barajas had every passenger unpack all bags, had shoes examined, and were given a pat down.

The intimidating security (with five minute individual questioning about personal details) sure made us feel safe, and we left Spain with another memorable experience.

Regardless of conditions I plan to attend another wedding in the next six months. That's the plan, and I can't think what would cause me to cancel it.

If anything this may be the right time for Americans to be traveling...so the world better understands the US, and realizes we're a mostly peaceful people.

Avoiding American government buildings and places where many tourists gather might be wise, but to not go? No way...I'd say go and just lay low and tour alone or in small groups. That's worked for me in Latin America and Southern Africa. Besides, compared to the US ... Europe is incredibly safe ... much less violent crime than in the US.

#63269 - 02/11/03 04:34 PM Re: student tour postponed
mecky Offline

Loc: US
Dear Esperanza and all
I too have traveled with EF with Students and Adults, as a groupleader and as a participant. Actually I fell in love with Spain on my first tour and have made wonderful friends. I have and will travel just about anywhere anytime by MYSELF. However when you have a group of teenager traveling with you, that is a very serious responsibilty. Our last tour would have had over 50Students and it was cancelled by our school. EF worked with us so that was good. But sad as it is like I said, no problem by myself. I can take care of myself and are able to blend in, well as a European anyway, but I would not care to have the responsibilty of a group of people. Good luck and maybe our world will get back to its regular beat of living.

#63270 - 02/11/03 05:16 PM Re: student tour postponed
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Thanks for all of your thoughts. smile It is so good to be able to share these happenings with you...other Spain lovers.

#63271 - 02/11/03 05:58 PM Re: student tour postponed
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
kelar419, I completely relate to what you're talking about. My trip in 1990 went from a tipsy, carefree lark to a much more serious-feeling experience within the course of a couple of days. My Spanish friends and I spent a lot of time talking politics, which in hindsight I think was one of the most valuable parts of my travels in Spain. I think it was good for them, too, to see "up close and personal" that not every American agrees with our government about all things at all times!

The thing that's probably different for you (in a good way, if one can say such a thing in such difficult times!) is that you have better access to news. All of our news came secondhand, or from Spanish papers we didn't understand very well. Now you can hop online and check the news all over the world, instantly! I also had to rely on phone conversations with my worried parents for a lot of other news, and my mom is not always the calmest person when she's worried about her kids!!

(How's all that for a "back in my day..." story?)

Still, I know it's stressful to think you could be singled out just because you're American (and we all know there's no blending in--it's nearly impossible!). I think the advice to avoid rallies and places where Americans congregate is probably good--if for no other reason than you most likely would like to think about BEING IN SPAIN, not scary geopolitical issues!

Take care and enjoy your time in Spain--it's precious!!

#63272 - 02/11/03 07:41 PM Re: student tour postponed
canuck Offline

Loc: Canada
I"d like to thank all the above for the posts!(especially booklady with the ditty about the Indian farmer laugh ) It is amazing how much the world state can affect our views of leaving home, but we don't think twice about cruising down our home roads at break0neck speed to work every day. i for one have found that I have ended up in some very strange situations, and somehow never come to any serious harm. I was in Venezuela during the riots, in Spain when Franco died, in Spain (alone at 15 in Bilbao) during a major Basque uprising, in Ecuador when the volcano erupted, in country-wide strike in Nepal, and in Morocco (muslim) on Sept. 11th...to list a few, and have never felt threatened. I think the time in my life politics scared me the most was during the FLQ crisis in my home city of Montreal when I was young and Halloween was cancelled!!
Certainly we do have to use common sense, but I for one will tend to err on the side of adventure!
I'm off to Spain in 3 weeks (via Heathrow, now under increased security-ah well)
Cheers

#63273 - 03/02/03 03:20 PM Re: student tour postponed
Gloria_dup1 Offline

Loc: Casper, Wyoming
Hi everybody,

Esperanza, I am so sorry that your trip was cancelled. It is terribly disappointing. In the late 80's when there was a rash of terrorist attacks across Europe I was going to travel with a group of kids to Spain. The lead teachers decided to cancel the trip. My husband (a madrileño= and I went anyway without the students. Things were absolutely normal and there was not one incident in Madrid.

Now I find myself in the same situation only now I am the lead teacher. Our situation is a little different as far as the school is concerned. All of the language teachers in our school do their own trips. We have all been caught in very bad situations with student travel companies and we are all very experienced in the countries we travel to. Our trips are not view as "school-sponsored trips" It is between us and the parents of the students. I have had only one parent express concern over the situation. We discussed the security that exists in Madrid, my previous experiences traveling during times of conflict and I assured her that we would respect any decision she made. We are leaving on Thursday and not one student out of 26 has pulled out. Perhaps it is because here in Wyoming we are isolated from the events on the east coast we have not felt the fear that seems permeate other areas of the country. I feel secure because I have lots of friends and family in Madrid who would immediately come to our rescue should anythig happen. But I also know that the odds of anything happening to us are the same if we are in New York or Washington D.C.

My fellow teachers and I prepare the kids thoroughly on safety, public behavior expectations, where to go and where not to go etc. By the time we leave they so indoctrinated that In 15 years of traveling with students I have yet to have a problem. Sure it could happen, and I am ready if it does. But the benefits far outweigh the risks as far as I am concerned.

By the way, I have asked Madridman to create a separate forum for teachers so we can share ideas. What do you think?

Gloria

#63274 - 03/02/03 09:40 PM Re: student tour postponed
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I, too, am sorry to hear that groups are canceling. I'm taking 64 people to England next week. I'm doing my own trip (but with a company), and although the school approves (it's great for them), they aren't sponsoring it, so they can't cancel it. This afternoon I spoke to about 90 people about why I wasn't going to cancel if war starts by next week, and my views on terrorism. I also told them that I would understand if anyone wanted to cancel. (They all have insurance.) No one has expressed interest in canceling, and many people have openly supported the idea of traveling now. I'm working wth the Passports company, and they've told me that they're surprised at how few of their groups have canceled their trips for the spring. They're actually having a better year than expected. It's being described as travel rage - "I'm going to travel no matter what! I'm sick of waiting!" Let's keep our fingers crossed that things stay safe in Europe! I bet they do, even if there is a war.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1823 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments