Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#63172 - 01/19/03 04:55 PM Re: Money in Spain
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
ATM cards work great as long as your bank does not charge too much for each transaction. I get 5 free withdrawals each month which makes it wonderful!! We got the best exchange rates using our ATM and our LLBean VISA was the best. It had NO transaction fees and the best rate. I actually made withdrawals with my VISA and my Mastercard at the same machine, at the same time just to see if there was a difference. Chase Mastercard charged, but Chase VISA with LL Bean did not. Strange, but true!! I had asked customer service for both cards about hidden charges and all had said there were none. These charges are so HIDDEN that only the computers in charge know about them!!! eek

Remember to notify them of your trip or they might BLOCK your card until they can talk to you to verify that you are the one using the card!!!
Take at least one extra card.
Record all the important card numbers and notification numbers on a separate sheet.
leave a copy of everything at home with someone you can reach in an emergency.

I also took a few traveler's checks to use in an emergency. They are not readily accepted, but there are American Express offices in some places where they could be negociated.

Have fun!!!

#63173 - 01/20/03 05:31 PM Re: Money in Spain
tamugeoff Offline

Loc: College station Texas
I just went and opened a checking acount with Compass Bank . They refund all your atm charges from anywhere in the world. All you have to do is save your atm receipts and mail them to them and they will refund that 2 dollar charge. I think that you can apply for this account online . Just thought everyone might be interested.

#63174 - 01/21/03 01:57 PM Re: Money in Spain
NEWYORKRED Offline

Loc: NEW YORK, NEW YORK
NATE: Dude, it is HSBC Bank and there are no hidden fees.

Lovingly, Your curly red head friend

#63175 - 01/22/03 08:36 AM Re: Money in Spain
Chrissiij Offline

Loc: London, UK
I bank with HSBC - they are really a very good bank!

#63176 - 01/22/03 07:44 PM Re: Money in Spain
Nate Offline

Loc: New York
oops eek cool

#63177 - 02/02/03 03:36 AM Re: Money in Spain
nachomama Offline

Loc: Chicago
Be careful of Caja Madrid ATM's!! My atm card was eaten by one of their machines. The same thing happened to the Spanish woman I was living with--different ATM, same bank. If you're not going to take anything but your ATM card, make sure you know where the Western Unions are, just in case.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
la calma
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1574 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments