MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#62976 - 11/07/02 05:07 AM Re: Poor Aznar
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Miguelito,

Treating women as second class citizens is not acceptable under any compromise. It's nothing more than appeasing a nation that holds them hostage in their own countries. As for womens rights in Iran, they don't exist. I have a very dear friend whose two sisters were orthaepaedic surgeons of world reknown when Khomeni and his thugs took the nation over. Neither has been allowed to return to their work over all these years. As for women in their universities, they aren't there to carve their own niche in the world, because it isn't acceptable by the dictates of their government which is held in check by fundamentalist clerics.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Iranian President isn't anything more than a show dog for them to trot out, to put on a good front for the Western world.

I can't accept the practices in Iran by saying machismo exists in the world, or that 1/4 of the women in the UK are treated unfairly. All that offers is a way for someone to say; "See? It's okay to treat women poorly because they do it in the UK, and Latin America." Even offering it up as a viable reason that the Spanish government should accept these compromises in protocol is a slap in the face to every Spanish woman who has strived to make her own way in life, on her own terms. In this case, a direct insult to those who should have been part of the whole affair.

I don't believe it's stereotyping when we refer to a country and its policies. I also don't believe its an issue of whether or not they are Arabs. I believe the only issue that's at stake is whether or not the Spanish government should knuckle under to the demands of Iran. If I was a woman, I'd be insulted by the fact they are doing it.

Wolf

#62977 - 11/07/02 09:24 AM Re: Poor Aznar
Vega Offline

Wolf, I am from Racine. Boy, did I have some spelling and grammer errors in that post! I meant Aznar needs a b-r-a-k-e, not "break"! Yeah, he's going to "break" alright. There should be an "are" in "they always there", as well. One should think while they type! wink

#62978 - 11/08/02 04:41 AM Re: Poor Aznar
Miguelito Offline

Sorry Wolf, I think I have been misunderstood, I just said that their not arabs because at least here in Spain many people think it, and I wanted to show how unknown is this country for us, I didn't mean anything else with it.
About the discrimination of women there, I don't know 1st hand opinions neither I've been there, so I just know what I've read, that although is not so much gave me the impression that is not so big. Anyway, going back to the meeting, I don't find that having objections to have a dinner with wine in a table or touching a woman are reasons to avoid the meeting, although probably it would have been better for me if he hadn't touch also the men. What counts for me is the attittude that was good. I felt really angry for example, when the foreign affairs minister of Morocco didn't went to the airport to wait for our minister(woman) as I didn't belive their excuses, although the Spanish government tried to give it no importance.

#62979 - 12/20/04 06:56 PM Re: Poor Aznar
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
RESURRECTION!!!

It looks like Perejil has received its independence! Congratulations! laugh

FREE AT LAST!!!

#62980 - 12/20/04 07:49 PM Re: Poor Aznar
Pingüino Offline

Loc: Destin FL
Cali,

Thanks for the post. laugh I knew I liked your sense of humor.

Cogito cogito ergo sum cogito

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2758 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments