Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#62922 - 10/24/02 04:28 PM Re: halloween
martine Offline

Loc: Belgium
Thanks Menecy. I translated it in Dutch, also lost count a bit, but I think now I understand it.

#62923 - 10/24/02 04:38 PM Re: halloween
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Oye Eddie,
El Coco used to be the bane of my existence as a child! laugh Everytime I did not eat my vegetables or misbehaved, my mother or grandmother would say,"te va a llevar el Coco." laugh laugh laugh I kept asking what he looked like, to keep a lookout, and they would say that he was too terrible to describe, EVIL PERSONIFIED! eek

Anyway, I noticed that in Galicia witches seem to be the big thing! Pictures of Bruxas (brujas) were all over post cards at the gift shops. Also noticed that the folks wore a lot of Azabaches to keep EVIL at bay! rolleyes

#62924 - 10/31/02 08:19 PM Re: halloween
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Trick or treat, everyone!
Happy Halloween! smile

#62925 - 11/01/02 08:55 AM Re: halloween
Chrissiij Offline

Loc: London, UK
What did everyone do for halloween in the end? I went out in worthing with some friends, dressed rather skimpily wearing horns, a long dark wig, and carrying a full length leather whip!

#62926 - 11/01/02 12:20 PM Re: halloween
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Very surprising... yesterday I saw a lot of kids dressed for halloween in Madrid, ¡and also asking from door to door for candies!

This is the first time in all my life that I have seen such a thing in Spain...

Anyway, to follow the true spanish tradition, I have cooked some buñuelos de viento today laugh Slurrrrrp! Delicious!!

Fernando

#62927 - 11/01/02 01:50 PM Re: halloween
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Last night, despite it being quite cold, we had over 300 children come to our door dressed up for halloween. This is nearly triple what it was last year, after 9-11. It's nice to see that parents are letting their kids out again.

As time goes by, Madrid will find itself falling in love with the kids in their costumes. It's not a pagan ritual to us here in the States, just an evening where children get to laugh at the things that may have scared them at one time or another.

I think the neatest costumes are those that Mothers spend hours of love on, making them ready for their children. Even though they may not have the polish of a purchased costume, there's love sewn into every seam, and the children seem to be special because of it. It's too bad we don't understand how important it is to take our children for walks in the evening, like we usually saw in Spain. It's a chance for "community," and it's a shame it only happens once a year here in the States. I guess we're going to have to designate 12 days a year for halloween. Maybe that will help us all find out what being part of a community really means.

Wolf

#62928 - 11/01/02 03:48 PM Re: halloween
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Wolf, I am with you...there should be AT LEAST one day each MONTH when we walk through our neighborhoods with our children, knocking on our neighbors' doors and saying hello. And if they give us candy, well, maybe we should do it once each WEEK!

It's always amazing to me (1) how little we see many of our neighbors and (2) how much we really enjoy seeing our neighbors!

It was fun to be on the phone the other night with a Muslim friend, talking about how he and I (semi-Catholic) were looking forward to taking our kids out for the "pagan candy holiday!"

#62929 - 11/01/02 08:46 PM Re: halloween
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Too bad Halloween is now becoming entwined with Dio de los Muertos: the Mexican family holiday that is dedicated to remebering and celebrating the dearly departed. It is a HUGE deal in Mexico and American Mexican Communities. Families prepare feasts and camp out overnight in the cemetaries where their family are buried, lighting candles and praying. The largest American Mexican art dispaly of 'Dios de los Muertos'is at the Mexican Fine Arts Museum in Chicago. Its a great Holiday, even gringos like me can see that. But, It is becoming more and more like Holloween in Mexico and American Mexican communities north of the border. frown

#62930 - 11/01/02 11:44 PM Re: halloween
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Isn't today or tomorrow "Dia de todos los santos" in Spain where EVERYONE goes to the cemetaries where their loved-ones are buried and spend the day there? My ladyfriend said she and her mother are not going this year because of the long long lines of stopped traffic along the roads and highways.

I can imagine children in the cities of Spain, going door to door, pushing EVERY button on the panel in every doorway of every housing building and hoping everyone will come down 4-6 flights of stairs to give children candy and admire their costumes. OR, buzzing UP every child, wait for THEM to climb the 4-6 flights of stairs and then go back down again. It would take them all night to fill their bags with candy! Not sure this custom would work well in the cities but maybe in the villages where people have actual front doors out and open to the public.

I'm not so sure I'm in favor of this "American" and very commercial "tradition" in Spain. Next thing you know, The Simpsons will be the most popular show on TV there too! eek DOH! eek It already is! rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#62931 - 11/01/02 11:57 PM Re: halloween
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Kurt,

I agree the Dia De los Muertos is very impressive in Mexico!

In Spain as in many Catholic countries,there is a celebration held on November 1st, All Saint's Day. It is called La Fiesta De Todos Los Santos, which is a day to remember those family and friends that have died, and hopefully are in heaven.

That is followed by All Soul's Day on November 2nd, honoring the faithfully departed. In Spain it is called,la Fiesta de los Difuntos.Requiem masses are said on this day. Family members honor their dead by visiting their grave, taking flowers and offering prayers. Some villages used to have a procession on this day, I am not sure if they do anymore.

At home there is usually a small celebration and folks usually make those deliciosos Buñuelos de Vientothat Fernando is always boasting about smile or the "huesos de santo". Food is indispensible in all Spanish celebrations!

Do they still play the famous play by Zorilla, Don Juan Tenorio in Mejico?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1642 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments