Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#62907 - 10/12/02 10:53 AM Cadiz to host 2003 Olympic Sailing events
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Check out the following link -
http://www.cadizworlds2003.com/
It seems that Cadiz has scored at least a portion on the 2003 Olympics sailing events.

#62908 - 10/12/02 11:27 AM Re: Cadiz to host 2003 Olympic Sailing events
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Puna,

If I recall correctly, the Olympics are during even number years. 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, etc... alternating summer & winter. Even though the site seems to be quite authentic, it seems they are actually holding races that are for Olympic class events, not part of the Olympics.

It appears it's an ISAF World Championship function, and since the 5-ring Olympic emblem isn't shown, it's not really associated with the 2004 games in Athens, Greece. But, it's a heck of a great place for sailors to determine where they stand against others in events, a year before they make their presence known in Greece.

I'd sure love to be in Rota to watch the events - frown It would be fantastic!

Wolf (Who gets sea-sick looking at a glass of water while riding on a train - eek )

#62909 - 10/12/02 01:06 PM Re: Cadiz to host 2003 Olympic Sailing events
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I don't know if it has something to do with that site... but Madrid is presenting its candidature for the Olimpic Games of 2012, and the proposal includes Cádiz as the place to run the sailing part of the games...

Fernando

#62910 - 10/12/02 02:00 PM Re: Cadiz to host 2003 Olympic Sailing events
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
:o Ooops! Thanks for the correction, Wolf.

Guess we can all tell who isn't the most knowledgeble on sporting events! The missing five rings should have been a dead give-away - even to a novice!

Cadiz does have some of the best sailing and surfing conditions in the world,(and we all know I love the place) so it is nice to see the area recognized even if only for pre-Olympic trials or whatever. Besides - we all need just another reason to go to Spain .... laugh

#62911 - 10/12/02 06:19 PM Re: Cadiz to host 2003 Olympic Sailing events
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Puna,

A lot of nations realize that offering a venue of sports that relates to part of the Olympics during an off year works well in spurring interest in them as being a host for the real deal. As an example, when Barcelona & Atlanta won their bids, both had offered world championships that related to some of the Olympic venues for a few years prior to the awarding of the Olympics. It made both sites more attractive to the organizing group because it showed them the intent of the prospective hosts. I think Cadiz, and Spain, have made a fantastic move in that direction, by bring the sailing venue to Cadiz. It will show just how well they can handle them.

Wolf (Sure wish I could be there to watch - frown )

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments