Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6265 - 11/30/03 11:43 PM Madrid: Hostel vs. Hotel???
mugal28 Offline

Loc: chicago area
It's been a while since I last went to Madrid. I did a homestay back in 2000/2001 & stayed at the Holiday Inn Madrid back at the end of 2001. I recently booked my flight to Madrid and planned on staying with a friend who was moving there in January...she is no longer moving to Madrid so I am stuck trying to find a place to stay! I feel extremely stressed about this.
I am traveling on a somewhat tight budget (would like to spend $100 or less/night if possible), but skeptical of the safety of hostels. I have read MANY recommendations on Hostal Adriano . Any suggestions on inexpensive but nice hotels/hostels? We are traveling from 3.28-4.03 & would like to be in the sol/plaza mayor area. DEFINITELY want a private room/bath.
Many thanks from this Spanish teacher. laugh

#6266 - 12/01/03 07:48 AM Re: Madrid: Hostel vs. Hotel???
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Mugal28,

Why would you feel any more secure in a hotel as opposed to a hostel? The only thing I can imagine is that you think you don't have a private room in a hostel. This subject has been covered many times on this bulletin board, but just to reiterate, a hostel in Spain, is just a smaller, cheaper, family run hotel. You have your own room, with your own key, and in most cases, and always if requested ahead of time, your own shower.
I've found in the hostels I've stayed at the people who run them to be security conscience almost to the point of hysteria. In a hostel, there are at least two doors between yourself and the outside. You are given a key to your own room and the main door, or you buzz to be let in to the main door and pass a reception area.
By and large, the security problem starts after you leave your hostel/hotel. That's another story. But don't worry about staying at a hostel, just enjoy your trip.

#6267 - 12/01/03 09:41 AM Re: Madrid: Hostel vs. Hotel???
der_geograf Offline

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I agree totally with gazpacho.

I had similar reservations about hostels when a friend booked him and me in one in Prague last summer, but we had 100% Grade A security, the staff was very friendly, and the service couldn't have been any better. We had no safe to lock up our belongings in our room, but ordinary common sense with valuables is always a good thing, whether your in a hostel or the Hilton.

#6268 - 12/01/03 11:23 PM Re: Madrid: Hostel vs. Hotel???
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
There are times that I enjoy a luxury hotel, but in Spain I love the hostals. smile Not only are they a big money saver but they offers a much warmer experience.

Last time I was in Madrid I stayed at Hostal Chelo because I had enjoyed many of the comments that Antonio had contributed to this website. I never met Antonio, but his parents and sister were kind and helpful. I was quite pleased with my room and the hospitality. It is very close to the Grand Via Metro stop and a pleasant walk to Puerta del Sol.

Good luck!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1513 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments