Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 14 15 >
Topic Options
#62238 - 06/02/02 09:48 PM Re: World Cup!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It is said that there was 50 years since Spain didn't win its first match in the World Cup. This team has broken that statistic smile

Does that mean that we will at last reach semi-finals? GO OOOOOON!!!!! smile

I will watch the matches of the US team. Hope it goes far smile

Fernando

UPDATE: The page of the TV Channel which shows the World Cup: Antena 3 TV (you may even download the goals of the spanish team). It is in spanish.

#62239 - 06/02/02 09:57 PM Re: World Cup!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I watched a bit today, now that I am quickly becoming an expert rolleyes on World Cup soccer. It was SO COOL!!! I had forgotten just how fun it is to watch!

Sorry for beginning a separate thread on this, MM--I searched, but only in a couple of forums--I didn't look in Travel:Food, Drink, and Entertainment (what IS this thread doing here???).

As for my own soccer/futbol career, it ended at age 9 when I got knocked unconscious while trying (I think!) to hit the ball with my head. Maybe the ball was trying to hit me.

And I ended up a perpetual spectator, not much of an athlete!

In exchange for getting me hooked on World Cup soccer, I am going to get all of you addicted to watching the University of Florida Gator football (American-style) team!

wink :p cool

#62240 - 06/03/02 07:00 AM Re: World Cup!
nevado Offline

That arbitro for Turkey/Brazil SUCKED!!!!!

#62241 - 06/04/02 12:34 AM Re: World Cup!
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Speaking of referees (as they are known here in the States...

There were ome questionable calls/non-calls at the end of the Spain-Slovenia match that were very favorable to our boys in Red. Glad to see the Spanish side get the millenium off to a good start with an opening win. It was very kind of the FIFA folks to set the match for 0630 Chicago local time. I was actually able to watch!

Now lets see if USA can advance. Keep your eye on DeMarco Beasley (who happens to labor for Chicago's Major League club.)

#62242 - 06/05/02 05:47 AM Re: World Cup!
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Vaya tela! Estados Unidos 2 - Portugal 0 in the first half! Surprising to say the least! eek

#62243 - 06/05/02 05:52 AM Re: World Cup!
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
Make that 3-1 after the first half!!!! Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#62244 - 06/05/02 05:56 AM Re: World Cup!
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Final! EEUU 3 Portugal 2! laugh

I wish EEUU all the luck!

Pues suerte

-L

#62245 - 06/05/02 07:11 AM Re: World Cup!
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh U-S-A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

Nevado, hope you had a good time at the game cool cool You got to see Figo and a great US team. Actually, you didn't see much of Figo.

#62246 - 06/05/02 07:52 AM Re: World Cup!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
BOINK! Woo Hoo!! I must say I too was surprised and excited to turn on the TV at 5:30am this morning JUST before Brian McBride (OF the Columbus Crew soccer team in beautiful Columbus, Ohio, USA) knocked in the 3rd and final goal for the USA. I continued watching and saw the soon-after goal by Portugal and the following 20 minutes or so before I had to leave for work. It doesn't seem, from what the announcers said, that Portugal has a very good team so I'm not sure if this is a good win or not. But, at least we scored three goals and that, I believe, is a "good thing". Next game is on June 10th for the USA, correct? I look forward to it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#62247 - 06/05/02 10:59 AM Re: World Cup!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
MM: Portugal came in rated fifth in the world and scored more goals in Euro qualifying than anyone else on the continent. The greatest win in US World Cup history (there have only been about three wins, though) was in 1950 when we beat England 1-0. Not the greatest win ever, but this has to be a huge upset...

At least now we won't finish DEAD LAST like in France. We only scored one goal (your boy McBride) back in '98, and lost to Iran. We'll leave the "dead last" to Saudi Arabia, after getting thumped by Alemania in the opener 8-0.

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 14 15 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments