Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#62122 - 05/13/02 05:50 AM Re: A question for the Americans.
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Andres writes:
Quote:
In 2001 American tourism dropped by 21% in Spain. If in 1997 The US was the fourth nationality visiting Madrid, currently is the sixth. I wonder why?
I would guess that the figures may be skewed because so many people find cheaper flights to some other EU destination where they are counted as U.S. tourists and then travel overland or by low-cost European Air carriers to Spain. When we deplane in Madrid or somewhere else in Spain, are we counted as tourists from the place of Origin of the flight now that Passport Control/Immigration is pretty much eliminated for intra EU travel?

I visited Spain twice in 2001. I didn't stay in Madrid either time: In June, I arrived from London (on Easyjet) - maybe I wasn't counted as an American tourist because I didn't have to go thru Passport Control. I might have been counted as a tourist from the U.K. These complicating factors, for me, cast suspicion on the numbers (percentages) you cite. In July, I passed thru Madrid on a night train Barcelona-Sevilla on my way to Huelva and I departed Spain for Portugal, not to return directly to the U.S. I stayed with a family in Santander, a relative in Barcelona and more relatives in Mazagon (Huelva). So no hotel reported me as an American tourist having stayed there this trip.

I very rarely talk to the people at the Tourist bureaus or fill out their questionnaires.

Given that Spain has become increasingly popular with European tourists, so their numbers (especially those from what was formerly Eastern Europe) will have risen considerably; but I think your U.S. Tourist counts may not be correct for the reasons given in my opening paragraph.

#62123 - 05/13/02 09:44 AM Re: A question for the Americans.
SRedw Offline

This has turned out to be a very interesting thread indeed. I am very glad to read these responses. Spain really isn't a very popular tourist attraction with the US. Many Americans still tend to go to Paris, London, or even Germany.

Spain is a very beautiful country, but even on the travel shows, it is often overlooked for other countries in Europe.

I am headed back this June and am looking forward to it.

There are many reasons why Americans won't fly and some of the reasons given here are just the tip of the iceberg.

Shawn

#62124 - 05/13/02 09:57 AM Re: A question for the Americans.
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
I would say it is a result of two factors:

1. economic recession: as pointed out, Spain is exepnsive to get to from the US. Even if Germans are in a slump, they can still get to Spain easily and fairly cheaply. For Americans, it is a much bigger investment, one that people will not make if times are tough. Americans will tend to stay in the US. Also, flights to Spain are generally much more expensive than to, say, London or Amsterdam.

2. September 11. While this hit after the main summer tourism season, it had a huge impact on both tourism and business travel. I'm assuming that the figures would include business travel. Speaking from my own company's experience, the combination of the recession and September 11th has cut business travel dramatically.

I'm actually surprises that the US even ranked that high in terms of visitors in 2000. As has been pointed out, Spain is not widely considered as a major tourism destination in the US. I think many people still think of Spain as being primarily a beach resort (so do a lot of Europeans, for that matter), and we have our own cheaper beach resorts here. Also, many Americans have always been a little wary of traveling abroad, and many will do so only through packaged tours. Since these tend to focus on other parts of Europe, they don't get exposed to Spain. Also, a large factor in American toursim to Europe is the desire to see the old country from which ancestors immigrated. As America had proportionally few immigrants from Spain, this is not a huge factor.

#62125 - 05/13/02 09:59 AM Re: A question for the Americans.
jensdog Offline

Loc: Houston, TX 77006
I find that September 11th isn't as much of factor in travel plans anymore (at least with the people I have spoken to). I think basically it comes down to money. Spain is not viewed by most American tourists as the dirt cheap bargain it once was. Additionally, airfare to Madrid or Barcelona is pretty high compared to a lot of other European destinations and it is difficult to get a direct flight if you don't live on the east coast or in Miami or Chicago. Coming from Houston I have had to change planes 2-3 times to get to Madrid. Barcelona is a little easier. I also find that a lot of Americans are skipping Europe altogether and that Mexico, Central and South America and Asia are becoming more popular with tourists.

#62126 - 05/13/02 01:31 PM Re: A question for the Americans.
SRedw Offline

Good pints here. I live in Richmond, VA and a direct flight to Madrid or any other European destination is out of the question. The airport in Richmond, VA is very expensive and many try to leave out of Washington, DC or even Charlotte, NC.

The US economy does play a major role in travel. Many people are loosing jobs left and right. Many are fearful that they will loose their job and are saving for what's coming ahead.

Tourism to other countries will pick up eventually and mostly the south of Spain is popular, but not Madrid too much.

We will have to wait to see what happens with tourism.

Shawn

#62127 - 05/14/02 10:39 AM Re: A question for the Americans.
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Andres - I think the dismal US economy has a great deal to do with the resulting lack of tourism. The recssion that our government is loathe to term recession has impacted the economy for close to two years. The US currently has the highest unemployment rate in something like 15+ years. September - November 2001 - then I think 9/11 had a huge impact as well; but now - plain old lousy economy.

Its cheaper for people to travel within the contigious states and as a result, mainland visitor destinations are showing huge increases this year vs. the last few years.

The plus, from a very selfish point of view - its less crowded when I come to Spain.

PS - the unemployment figures I quoted were from CNN a few days ago -

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments