Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62112 - 05/12/02 09:49 AM A question for the Americans.
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
I am wondering why? and I have different theories but I would like first hand opinions:

In 2001 American tourism dropped by 21% in Spain. If in 1997 The US was the fourth nationality visiting Madrid, currently is the sixth. I wonder why?

Regards,
Andrés

#62113 - 05/12/02 09:58 AM Re: A question for the Americans.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Suggestion/Reason: September 11, 2001

I'd guess "American" tourism dropped about the same amount to all places in the world, Andrés. The last 3.5 months of last year (mid-September through December), or 29% of the year, when few "Americans" would get on an airplane would likely account for the sudden drop in tourism to Spain.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#62114 - 05/12/02 10:18 AM Re: A question for the Americans.
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I would agree with MadridMan's assessment...but I did hear just the other day that air travel is projected to pick up again throughout this year (even surpassing pre-September levels), and I would imagine that we Americans might make it back up to 4th or 5th place in the list of visitors!

#62115 - 05/12/02 10:42 AM Re: A question for the Americans.
chuck Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
andres,-i am a high school spanish teacher and each year i bring groups of students to spain. just before 9/11 i had 87 students registered for this summer's trip(june) -after 9/11 the number dropped to 70 ..i guess parents fear the worst. for myself i think Europe is safer than the states

#62116 - 05/12/02 11:21 AM Re: A question for the Americans.
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Yes, yes of course the 11-s have made things worse but it is not the single cause of it. I mean, before the 11-s American tourism to Spain had already dropped by a 14% percent compared with year 2000. Some people may say it is because of the economic crisis but Germany is also going under a crisis and the fall in this case is only by a 2,2%. Nevertheless the other Madrid visitors (in order of importance) Frenchies, Italians, Germans and British are still coming. Will I end up learning French?

Andrés

#62117 - 05/12/02 01:16 PM Re: A question for the Americans.
SRedw Offline

Andres,

Let's look at all factors involved. September 11 was not the only factor. Americans, in general, were also tired of high ticket prices, long lines and not being fed adequately on flights. To say that September 11 was the only reason is absurd. Many more factors were involved, and I am not afraid to say it.

I will get back on an airplane and I realize that when it is my time to go, it's my time to go and I can't do anything about it.

Shawn

#62118 - 05/12/02 02:05 PM Re: A question for the Americans.
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Shawn, there certainly were other factors at work, including our slumping economy, but it seems to me airline ticket prices have been relatively stable for a number of years now (I paid the same amount for flights to Spain in 1995 and 2001, for example). Airline service is abysmal, of course, so that may play into it.

A lot of people I know decided to stay a bit closer to home after 9/11...taking road trips, for example, instead of airline trips--or traveling by air within the U.S. to see family rather than skipping off to Europe. Fear of flying may keep some people from traveling by air entirely (I HATE TO FLY, but will if there's no better way to get there!), but probably not many.

#62119 - 05/12/02 02:56 PM Re: A question for the Americans.
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Andres-

Just another thought as to why the others (Italians, French, Germans, British...) are still coming: they're closer to Spain. As has been said before, many Americans are still a little anxious about travelling abroad or on airlines at all. If we were closer to Spain like the other Europeans, we could take a train, drive, or a shorter airline flight, and maybe our numbers would not have dropped so much.

I heard on the news the other day that domestic tourism is increasing, and when I called a near-by hotel to make reservations for this summer, their rate was $100 more than we paid last year!! SO maybe I'll take advantage of this and head to Spain this year instead of Cape Cod afterall!!

#62120 - 05/12/02 09:05 PM Re: A question for the Americans.
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
I visited Spain last year before 9/11. When I discussed our plans with friends and others, they reacted very surprised. Spain! I believe most Americans do not think Spain of a one of the most notable European countries. Also, they were surprised we would spend the entire 17 days in one country.

I believe Americans are sold by travel agents and advertising to visit other European countries, and they are sold to visit more than one county. Many of our friends were surprised we made our own plans without using a travel agent or an accompanied tour.
Also, I believe more Americans are losing the value of history and culture, and desire more surroundings, which are familiar. Could this be a reason for Starbucks, and TGIF Friday’s development in many tourist areas? I was shocked when visiting the Capella Real; my stepdaughter did not know Ferdinand and Isabella were the King and Queen of Spain who supported Columbus voyage!

After 9/11, I am afraid more Americans will not travel to other countries because many feel we maybe unwelcome.

#62121 - 05/13/02 12:11 AM Re: A question for the Americans.
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
I would tend to think it has to do with trends and economics. People tend to listen and seek advice from other people regarding traveling so if spain is the "HOT" spot then logically more people travel to spain. Unfortunately, the trend changes and flucuations occur. I strongly disagree it has anything to do with Americans losing their value of culture. People just like changes. But it is baffling??? I mean, I'm confused as well why anyone would not want to vacation in Madrid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments