Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#61909 - 04/11/02 03:06 PM Re: why speak english
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
A couple of friends of mine went to my wedding to Spain and hated my country so bad that it hurt my feelings... they ate at McDonnals EVERY SINGLE DAY eek , they hated Spaniards kissing them, they hated the coffee, the people, the language, they didn't understand why the hell ALL Spaniards don't speak English rolleyes ... it was embarrasing for everybody else! :o I think that kind of people should stay where they feel comfortable, otherwise they are miserable and make everybody miserable.
Nuria

#61910 - 04/11/02 03:11 PM Re: why speak english
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Nuria, pay no attention to them. It seems they fill the "Ugly American" stereotype and don't know what they should be appreciating. rolleyes

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#61911 - 04/11/02 04:23 PM Re: why speak english
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
There are hundreds of "NON UGLY AMERICANS" in this forum and millions out there... who cares if 2 Americans are "ugly"? laugh
And let's face it, when we went out we got to eat their share of jamon and tortilla wink

#61912 - 04/11/02 05:56 PM Re: why speak english
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
That is something I have come to apreciate...

It is not that I thought all americans filled the stereotype yourselves hate, it is that really they are the exception...

Fernando

#61913 - 04/11/02 06:45 PM Re: why speak english
Anonymous
Unregistered

The american people who ive met in Spain and on the messageboard have,(with 1 or 2 exceptions) been fun,intelligent and well travelled people.

One particular couple, (ron from Colarado) have become really good friends with us.

Iam sure the positive side of well travelled americans that i have seen is typical of most USA citizens which is why i have offered my friends in US to stay many times.

Spain iam sure has had the benefit of US visitors and i feel sure that the rest of the UK would benefit from your warm friendly,positive attitude to life.

Nuria, I (and iam sure everyone else in uk) love the custom of (kissing) the Spanish.
People are so friendly in spain its a real delight to meet such lovely people i love spain and all its traditions
Spike laugh laugh

#61914 - 04/11/02 09:09 PM Re: why speak english
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I do think it takes only a few unpleasant people to make someone have negative thoughts about a group...which is why I always try to be as kind and friendly as possible while traveling (not that I am not kind and friendly all the time smile ). I think it takes MANY, MANY good experiences to override one bad one with people of any culture.

Aren't we lucky to have a place to make friends from many countries, without leaving our cozy chair in front of the computer? smile What an opportunity!

#61915 - 04/11/02 09:49 PM Re: why speak english
nevado Offline

Nuria, I know how you feel. One of my friends who came to my wedding couldn't stop talking trash about Madrid. I felt so betrayed. It's one thing to dislike something and another to mention it to the person's face (about their home)! She spent 7 weeks in Madrid with me and constantly criticized every detail. It's unfortunate that she couldn't find positive things to say about the city. We're still friends but I won't invite her back anytime soon.

#61916 - 04/12/02 07:28 AM Re: why speak english
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
I'm pleased to say I had the opposite experience to Nuria and Nevado when I got married at Easter in Malaga four years ago. My friends from the UK, few of whom had previously visited the area, came with the usual stereotypes about Malaga and the Costa del Sol being a vast touristic nightmare. They were amazed at how completely "Spanish" Malaga is (the Semana Santa processions were in full swing!), and how even places like Torremolinos, for all the English bars, were still mainly full of Spanish families. Everyone got a warm welcome, had a great time, and lost some unfounded prejudices!

#61917 - 04/12/02 09:24 AM Re: why speak english
SRedw Offline

I have to add my story to the board also. I remeber the first time that I got to Madrid. I hated it and I was going to be there for one year. I didn't want to go to begin with, for all of my study in Latin America (Guatemala, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Mexico) spolied me.

Then I woke up to reality and learned about all of the good things Marid had to offer. I wasn't the only one in my group. Those who also studied in Latin America first also didn't care for Madrid too much.

Madrid takes time to warm up to and I am going back to live soon. I am glad that I had the experience and will cherish it always.

It doesn't get any better than this.

Shawn

#61918 - 04/12/02 11:34 AM Re: why speak english
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
I keep reading that Madrid "takes time to warm up to", etc.. What do people mean by that? The popular travel guides tend to state that also. I will only be there briefly to start with and certainly hope that I "get it" ASAP. Friends of mine who were there a couple of years ago didn't seem to "get it" and wanted to leave. What do I need to know to enjoy this city? I'm going just to experience a vibe, a liveliness that doesn't exist in my rather drab part of the world. Is this part of the trick?

Just wondering.

Dargus

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2716 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments