Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#61899 - 04/07/02 05:10 PM Re: why speak english
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Education frees people smile

And yes, I have seen spaniards talking about english, irish, germans, etc at their face, in spanish, laughing at them. Stupid people can be find everywhere wink

Fernando

#61900 - 04/07/02 05:54 PM Re: why speak english
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
You're right about that, Fernando (both things--that education is freedom and that, sadly, there are stupid/insensitive people everywhere)! One of the Deaf friends I mentioned above speaks 9 or 10 languages, including at least 2 signed ones. She is studying Swedish, to add to her collection of languages! She can read lips in most languages (German is hard) and speaks without an accent in at least three languages (including English, Italian, and German). I am in TOTAL AWE of her--she has spent her life (even before she became deaf at 14) learning languages and is such an inspiration! I only speak English and marginal Spanish--and a bit of American Sign Language and Italian--and a few dirty words in French. So I have far to go to catch up!

I wish our American educational system did a better job of language instruction. We are required to study languages in most school systems, but we don't have to really LEARN them. I studied Spanish for about 5 years (and Latin for 2) before I went to Spain, and I was barely able to speak when I arrived. I am glad our schools try, but until it's embraced as valuable by our policymakers and the society as a whole, it's not likely to result in fluency in any foreign language. Of course, many would say that graduates of our educational system aren't very fluent in English, either! rolleyes

#61901 - 04/07/02 06:06 PM Re: why speak english
Anonymous
Unregistered

Taravb and fernando,i couldnt agree more,i quite often come across deaf people(due to my job)and feel stupid/embarrased/lazy that i cant"sign".Fernando is correct about"education frees".
ps.For anyone who doesnt know Lionel Blair is a famous (english) chap who communicates excellently without speaking. laugh

#61902 - 04/07/02 06:34 PM Re: why speak english
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

What a friend taravb! I wish I had such incredible ones...

Languages are sooooo important... You may not realise that english is the main language, and that knowing another one or two languages is also very important (I think spanish is going to be a very important language for americans, but also the rest of the world).

I obviously speak spanish, and my parents sent me to a bilingual school so I could learn english since I was 3 years-old. My english is not perfect but I can defend myself wink

But now is important to speak also another language in Spain if you want to get a good job (most of the people of my age speak english or understand it). I speak very basic german and french smile

You don't realise how necessary they are until you travel outside your country...

Fernando

#61903 - 04/07/02 06:36 PM Re: why speak english
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Lionel Blair... mmm I think I have hear about him, but I don't remember who is he... (excuses wink ). May you talk a bit more about him spike1?

Fernando

#61904 - 04/07/02 06:41 PM Re: why speak english
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Fernando (you have to remember that Spike sometimes lives on an alternative planet)

Lionel Blair was on a programme called 'Give us a Clue' - is that right Spike? A game of charades.

Mind you, I thought at first that Spike meant that Lionel communicated through his dancing prowess!!! laugh wink laugh

Jo

#61905 - 04/07/02 07:15 PM Re: why speak english
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Guys,(especially Fernando)
Maybe you rememember (see previous post, tut tut) that spike is on a different planet but at least he can spell words correctly (hee hee). Lionel Blair is a multi-talented dancer/singer/actor. However, his hair style is remembered by most people. In the late 1980's he was well known for his outstanding performances in the popular tv show "Give us a Clue" starring alongside Una Stubbs, his female opponent in a quick witted game of Charades, featuring famous actors-to act out the names of films/books and tv hits etc, without speaking a word. Although primarily known for his wonderful dancing, this is mainly by the older generation. Hope this helps you Fernando.

#61906 - 04/08/02 06:14 AM Re: why speak english
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
To be honest, the British in Spain are a bit of an embarrassment, even before we open our mouths and ask to see "el menyu engleis". You can spot us a mile off. We don't dress well, we can't dance, we have bad hair, we think sports wear is appropriate in all contexts, and we don't know how to drink. In short, the Spanish have "gracia" and we don't (we don't really even have a word for it!). The British go abroad basically to escape the British weather (who can blame us!), and the unfortunate fact that "abroad" is already populated with people who speak and act differently is something to be ignored or avoided (courtesy of the tour operator).

That said (phew!), some of the best writers on Spain have been British - Gerald Brenan, Ian Gibson, Laurie Lee, George Orwell etc.

#61907 - 04/08/02 04:53 PM Re: why speak english
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
To El Bordenquen,

I, as an american, dont feel that there is anything inherently wrong with expressing one's own culture in a foreign one. The only thing that matters is that you are either repectful of the people and culture or try to adapt to it. You can wear british styles(all fashion being subjective, although the spanish women dress nice--all the guys wear the same dark blue or tan outfit with some surf label attached) just dont be alarmed if people stare. I think people forget how homogenous the spanish culture is. Many do and act the exact same way as their neigbor. But above all, the thing that gives foreigners the bad rep is the way we drink and get rowdy. Losing ones self control in spain is seen as shameful by the people. So to all other foreign travellers(this group excluded I know you guys love more things than sangria and bullfights) dont be that beligerant (I'll say american) because I've seen it too many times.

Word,

Chris

#61908 - 04/08/02 05:21 PM Re: why speak english
Lizziee Offline

Loc: Scotland
When I was in Nerja they just thought the drunk Essex girl at the other end of the bar was highly funny - which she was!!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments