Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61862 - 04/16/02 03:49 AM Mano izquierda...
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón

#61863 - 04/16/02 05:54 AM Re: Mano izquierda...
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Shouldn't that be mano izquierda?

#61864 - 04/16/02 07:59 AM Re: Mano izquierda...
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
In the case of Chávez, I think it would be more acurate to say mano siniestra wink . BTW, Venezuela has only been surpased by Cuba in giving haven to ETA.

The US was consulted in February, however the uprising against the dictator was not a US operation. La Razon I added this link just to add a little balance.

#61865 - 04/16/02 03:20 PM Re: Mano izquierda...
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
1) Yes mano is feminine, my bad. Mano izquierda, which is a Spanish saying meaning dealing under the table.

2) Regardless of whether Hugo Chávez ran a bad government which approaches dicatorial limits, espouses some ridiculous admiration for Simón Bolívar (who was an incompetent), is an economic moron, prattles on for hours incoherently, and is by all means right wacky, he is the elected leader of Venezuela. While the US did not aid this rightist coup (from what we know), they did give it the wink wink nudge nudge and were quick to accept it and forgo the democratic process. Bastions of democracy such as Argentina, Cuba, and México refused to recognize the coup. It is not the States' business, which itself has a little problem with its own elections and should tend to that.

As for "La Razón," I'm surprised they didn't go shoot Chávez themselves, as they are completely so far to the right they make Aznar look like Trotsky.

#61866 - 04/16/02 04:01 PM Re: Mano izquierda...
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Thanks for the link, Asterault. The "La Razon" comment gave me and my wife a chuckle.

<politics rant="high">
Bush is SUCH an @sshole... between this and the Middle East it's pretty obvious he doesn't have a frigin' clue internationally (well, at all really...). I erased this on a previous post because it was too inflamatory, but Bush is one of THOSE Americans. He only left the country twice in his life before becoming Resident, and both times for business. He was rich and his father was president, yet he never bothered to cross an ocean even for a vacation (or curiosity). His whole idea of the rest of the world is one of U.S. vs. "them." Cancelling treaties, starting wars, threatening other countries and turning blind eyes to coups on democratically elected governments because he doesn't like them. What next? I really hope the Republicans get ripped a new one in November.
</politics>

-Russ

#61867 - 04/16/02 04:09 PM Re: Mano izquierda...
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hey, LiM,

I agree with you about Bush's all too apparent closemindedness and "americancentricity". I'm sure that his constituents were breathing down his neck to make a move on the Israeli-Palestinian issue; it is so unfortunate for the country to have a man who seems not to reach out towards other nations for things other than politics, business, or to keep up our stance as the "big gun" of the world...

I hope he improves our relations with the rest of the world, not just politically! I'm not so sure he will...

Wyndyl

#61868 - 04/16/02 04:50 PM Re: Mano izquierda...
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Yes, it seems that Bush is proudly taking our country´s foreign policy back 30 years.

#61869 - 04/17/02 04:25 PM Re: Mano izquierda...
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
LiM - Go for it!!!! smile Russ, you just said absolutely everything I have wanted to say about out erst-while prez for many months - and didn't say because I could hear the outcry before I ever typed a word. Bush is so abhorrently uninformed on anything to do with international relations and international policies that to say its frightening is an understatement. And the worst part - I truly believe he wants to stay that way.

Thanks so much for venting for me! wink

#61870 - 04/17/02 05:07 PM Re: Mano izquierda...
LW Offline

Loc: USA
Hey LiM, I could not had written it better, and I am an Amercian, and it kills me to see him on our TV here talking out of his A**, because there is nothing I or others can do to change what's happening here. Thank God I did not vote for him(even tho it did not help much..sigh..and I know that no man in the political field is good, but at least with Clinton, you only had to worry who he was doing who next eek ) There is so much he(Bush) wants to do that will destroy us here in the US and in other Countries, and it makes some of us feel so helpless. Politics! mad

#61871 - 04/17/02 07:46 PM Re: Mano izquierda...
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Interesting points of view...

One day I'm less busy I will post how the Israeli-Palestinian issue is seen in Spain (in general, and the different tendencies) and my personal opinion. I was and I am afraid this issue can be very controversial for americans...

Would people want to open a thread and discussing that matter?

Fernando

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments