Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#61803 - 09/20/04 06:47 PM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
laugh laugh laugh
I love it!!! Jo, he's got to be a Briton, we Americans wear the Baseball caps!!! laugh laugh Florida Marlins all the Way!!!

#61804 - 09/20/04 10:40 PM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
hahahaha this is my old post. reading this thread brought me back to my freshemen year, the first time i was preparing to study in spain and wrote this, asking a zillion questions on this board... then again goin back the second time for sophmore semester...and still asking a zillion questions... and even this last summer working in costa rica, i still found answers on this board! my has college gone fast- im a senior this year, crazy.
Anyways, I suppose better late than never than to thank all of you board members for helping me out all those times, seriously!!!!!!! and dont worry, il be back with a zillion more questions when the time comes for my next little adventure:-)
GRACIAS A TODOS!!!
Kelly

#61805 - 09/21/04 08:25 AM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Jo - You made my day! Send this to AF with some ridiculous comment - he will appreciate it beyond a doubt! Only one question - I thought all Brits got sunburned.... wink wink wink

#61806 - 09/21/04 11:46 PM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
"Something americans never realise is that you will look american no matter how you dress or what you do"

whys that?

#61807 - 09/22/04 09:41 AM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Due to the way they behave and dress...

It was a joke wink an american may look almost like a spaniard if he wants to... at least until he opens his/her mouth laugh

Fernando

#61808 - 09/22/04 11:21 AM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
To blend in, buy your clothing and shoes upon arrival. Go with an empty suitcase. Then, get your haircut in Spain. Lastly, if you wear eyeglasses, bring a prescription and buy there.

Of course, once you open your mouth you may give yourself away as a foreigner. I was often mistaken as someone from Germany because of the accent when I spoke.

When in Spain, I have been known to look at a person's shoes and decide they could speak English or not. The sneakers are the biggest give-away of USA origin. Once I was so exhausted that I wanted to speak with someone from my homeland. She was a easy find because of the footwear.

#61809 - 09/26/04 04:49 PM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Quintos........I am originally from South Carolina and have a heavy southern drawl, I work and live in Madrid, and it always amazes me that when I speak Spanish(I am by no means fluent yet) they laugh and talk to me in English. They know I am American from the way I talk.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2629 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments