MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#61752 - 03/25/02 11:15 PM Need advice!
TheHype08 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hello all,

I'm really stressing out here! I'm studying abroad in Madrid in ten days and I have to get in contact with my host family. I think I have to call them. My major is Spanish and I've taken almost 6 years of it, but I'm so insecure about it and I'm really scared to do this. How am I going to call them from the US with horrible Spanish without making a fool of myself???? Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks,
Jenn

#61753 - 03/25/02 11:40 PM Re: Need advice!
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hey Jen,
Just letting you know that you've got one up on me! I've taken 2 years of Spanish in high school and I'm visiting Spain for the first time-and alone!
Don't sweat it! With all you already know, it may be awkward, but it will all be fine... wink
I'm quite sure the rest of the board will agree with me... smile

Wendy

#61754 - 03/25/02 11:45 PM Re: Need advice!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hey, Jenn--
If you're really terrified, perhaps you can ask a Spanish-speaking friend or teacher to talk for you...or at least to introduce you on the phone. Talking on the phone in another language is, I think, the hardest test of your production and comprehension abilities!

Also, you'll be amazed at how quickly your Spanish will improve once you get there...and once you're not jet-lagged! We had a Spanish exchange student when I was in high school, and when we picked her up at the airport, we could have sworn the girl didn't speak a word of English. The next day, after a good sleep, she came out to breakfast almost fluent!!

So don't expect too much of yourself at first...give yourself time to adjust and don't be afraid to make mistakes!

Buena suerte!
Tara

#61755 - 03/26/02 04:23 AM Re: Need advice!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
TH08,

Both Wyndyl & Tara are offering good advice. We had the same problems and resolve, when we hosted an exchange student. The teacher acts as a great Cyrano in this case, and you'd be surprised at how much of the language you really do know. Within days, even hours, your abilities will grow.

Also, the fact that the host family will probably have members who speak at least some English won't hurt. They can help you past the bumpy times.

Wolf

#61756 - 03/26/02 07:48 AM Re: Need advice!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Jenn writes:
Quote:
I'm studying abroad in Madrid in ten days and I have to get in contact with my host family. I think I have to call them. My major is Spanish and I've taken almost 6 years of it, but I'm so insecure about it and I'm really scared to do this. How am I going to call them from the US with horrible Spanish without making a fool of myself???? Does anyone have any advice?
In all likelihood, they will answer the phone: Diga! or Digame! Tell them Soy Jenn, vuestro estudiante de America. Talk about the weather: ¿Que tal hace por ahi? is a good opener. Prepare a script: Write out what you want to ask or tell them (probably when/where you will be arriving) and any questions you have. They are probably as apprehensive as you are. I can empathize with you because even after 17th Century French Literature, I still was not ready for France. rolleyes

#61757 - 03/26/02 08:43 AM Re: Need advice!
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
As I was reading your post, Thehype 08, I FELT for you...as a Spanish teacher I know how you are feeling ...your insecurities are very normal! The advice from Eddie is excellent: play out the conversation in your head, write things down before you call and introduce yourself immediately...But, even with this advice, understanding what they are saying is VERY DIFFICULT because Spaniards speak quickly and they will be speaking naturally. Be ready to say that you would like them to speak more slowly.
Although it would be easier for you to get someone else to make the call for you, DON'T do that...challenge yourself...speak slowly and be HAPPY...You will NOT make a "fool" out of yourself. This is the most exciting adventure you will be having....Madrid is AMAZING...you will love it! Buena suerte y buen viaje. esperanza

#61758 - 03/26/02 11:43 AM Re: Need advice!
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Ditto to all written above. Also keep in mind that as host parents, they are surely used to housing foreign students, many of whom probably haven't taken Spanish as long as you have. I definitely understand the anxiety (I have been there too), but just relax. You'll be fine. Don't freak out if you don't understand everything, just try to get the general meaning... smile

#61759 - 03/26/02 10:42 PM Re: Need advice!
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Even if you choose to speak for yourself maybe you can get situated somewhere where there is speaker phones or conference call option where you could have a Spanish speaking person with you just in case you needed help. Your school would probably help you ...just use a phone card if the cost is a problem.

#61760 - 03/28/02 11:07 PM Re: Need advice!
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Here is a True Story about my first real conversation in Spanish in Spain.

In 1998 I spent a few months backpacking around Europe. Before I left California, I decided that since I had some Spanish in high school (all long forgotten) I would choose that language as my "euro" language and started doing the Pimsler Spanish tapes in my car on the way to work. I got through the 2nd box so I could confidently ask for directions to Plaza Colon, count to 20 and ask how Mrs. Cleaver was feeling.

During the trip, I had the luck of meeting a French Canadian while traveling through Southern France and he handled all the details for us in French like finding hostels and good restaurants, etc. while I sat back and relaxed. Of course I boasted proudly of my Spanish so as not to look like a total monoglot, etc. (Joke: What do you call a person who knows three languages? Trilingual... Two languages? Bilingual... One language? American. *Harharsnort*)

Anyways, we ended up sticking together as we continued on into Spain. When we arrived in the Barcelona train station it was suddenly MY job to call the phone numbers in "Let's Go" and find us a hostel... Oh-oh. So I got out my phrasebook and went for it (that or sleep in the station).

- "Digame?"
Me: "Hola... uh... tienes un... uhh... cuarto para esta noche?"
- Bunch of spanish.
Me: "Uh... perdon?"
- "No."
Me: "Uh. Okay. Gracias. Adios."

This went on for quite a while as we had arrived in July and everything was booked. Finally I find a hostel that says yes.

Me: "Si? Tienes un cuarto?"
- "Si. Cuantas personas?"

OOh. I know that. How many people...

Me: "Dos. Esta bien?"
- "Si... Pero dos hombres?"

Ooh. I know that too! Two guys...

Me: "Si! Dos hombres!"
- "Bien. Cuantas noches?"

And that's how many nights! Yeah! I can speak Spanish! woohoo! I give the thumbs up sign to my friend.

Me: "Dos noches..."
- "Bien. Y que es su nombre?"

Oh-oh. My NUMBER? I don't have a phone number... I'm at the train station...

Me: "Mi nombre? Uh... No tengo un nombre. Estoy en la estacion del tren."
- "Nonono. Que es su NOMBRE?"

Crap! I don't HAVE a number! Maybe she doesn't understand me. I'll repeat it louder and slower.

Me: "Lo siento. No tengo un NOMBRE. Estoy en la estacion del TREN."
My friend: "What's the problem?"
Me (cupping receiver): "She wants my telephone number... but we don't have one."
My friend: "Um. Are you sure she's not asking for your NAME?"

Big pause. Listen at telephone again...

- "...SU NOMBRE! NO TIENE USTED UN NOMBRE?"
Me: "Si! Si! Lo siento. Mi nombre es Russell."
- "QUE?!?"

So. My first conversation in Spanish could have gone a bit smoother. But no problems. This poor woman was ready to have a heart-attack on the other end of the line, but she DIDN'T hang up on me! That's the important point. People are very generally very generous and forgiving of people who don't speak your language if you're trying your best. Even if you're insisting on nonsense like you don't have a name. Just thank goodness the name you do have isn't completely foreign like "Russell" (roo-SELL).

It takes a while before you get really comfortable and are perfectly understood so just relax and go with the flow... After I moved here to Spain in 2000, about 6 months in, I decided I had had enough of Spanish for the day, and wanted to get something quick and simple for dinner, so I stopped by a KFC: I'd say "Menu Dos" pay and I'd be home relaxing my head in no time. I wasn't paying attention until the woman was putting two bags to go down in front of me. Somehow I had order 2 menu two's to go... Doh! So what did I do?

I paid for both of course and went home and chalked it up to experience. Really. Thank goodness I hadn't ordered menu 7.

-Russ

#61761 - 03/29/02 04:51 AM Re: Need advice!
nevado Offline

That's really funny! I remember the first time my family visited me in Madrid. I set my brothers loose for the day and they had no clue how to speak Spanish. They finally resorted to going to McDonalds for lunch thinking that would be a safe choice. My brother tried to order 5 hamburgers and they gave him 5 beers! Needless to say they ended up having a liquid lunch that day! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments